PDA

View Full Version : Darwin to somewhere

longrass
18th Apr 2010, 06:47
Well I've decided to buy a plane, thinking C150, only cause it's quite cheap...

I want to head off in 4 weeks for a mission, I want to do 80 hours, so considering it averages 80kts I'm looking at approx 12000 kms....

Was thinking about coastal to Perth, then coastal to melbs and up to charter towers, gove then Darwin.

What yas reckon?

FRQ Charlie Bravo
18th Apr 2010, 09:31
No-brainer in my mind, Darwin to Tassie. Hmmm, weather getting a bit crap for the Bass though. C150, mind your endurance wherever you go.

FRQ CB

D-J
18th Apr 2010, 10:11
only cause it's quite cheap...

ummm this is an aeroplane we're talking about???? famous last words prehaps....

hardNfast
18th Apr 2010, 12:34
only cause it's quite cheap...

If it Flys, Floats or F:mad:ks its going to cost you alot of money!!

Deaf
18th Apr 2010, 12:54
Had a C150 in the 70's. Fuel was the problem even then with a groundsman at every field who could generally organize fuelling.

Now you would be looking at jerrycans.

Led Zep
18th Apr 2010, 14:59
I've seen that done in a Tomahawk. :bored:

YPJT
18th Apr 2010, 16:46
Like everyone else said, fuel and endurance will be the biggest hurdles.
Through the Kemberley and Pilbara you will need to really plan carefully. Same going east from Perth, even via Albany, Esperance will be a difficult stretch. Also, you might have to look at an inland route through the Pilbara as I don't think you can get Avgas at Shark Bay.
This (http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=YPDN-ypku-YDBY-YBRM-YPPD-YPKA-ypbo-ynwn-ymek-ygel-ypjt-ybun-yaba-yesp-YCAG-YFRT-YCDU-YWHA-YPPF-yhsm-ymmb-YMAY-ysbk-YSCH-YBAF-YBMC-YBRK-YBTL-YBCS-ygtn-YBKT-ybrl-yptn-ypdn) might be a start :)

longrass
19th Apr 2010, 02:25
I can get 4 hours out of it, plus a bag, swag, pushbike and fishing gear.

Shouldn't be to bigger drama, it only chews 25 ph, so can always chuck a Jerry or two in and land on the road somewhere...

Nunc
19th Apr 2010, 05:19
I ferried a 150 from ADL to Bunderburg many years ago and concur with what has already been said regards planning and fuel. That said good experience and a hell of a lot of fun. Good luck and fly safe.

Biter
19th Apr 2010, 08:27
Tyabb Vic to Langley Park WA and return in a 1966 C150 back in 98 or 99. Coastal all the way to Perth then back inland on the way home. The biggest stretch was Nullabor to Caiguna though far more interesting was getting out of Langley Park at 40deg.