PDA

View Full Version : The Spine

mintfavour
12th Oct 2001, 14:36
I have just been for my 1st class medical initial.
I have oscillarosis (I think thats what you call it) which is a curved spine. Mine is like an S shape as you look from the back. I already have a class 2 medical.

My spine is an S shape as you look at it from the Back I am balanced i stand up straight and move about just like anyone else, The only difference is that I feel tempory back pain when I pull it awkwardley in a sports manuover or simular like for eg pulling a muscle, But generally every day to day operations I dont feel a thing. A speciallist monitored my back as I was growing and found that it was not getting any worse and therefore no treatment was necessary, and now that I have stopped growing it will not change its position.

The CAA doctor picked up on this and has already said it is unlikely I will be allowed to fly helicopters, due to the vibration it will inflict on my back and will course pain, I have never flown helicopters so I dont know what the vibration is like. However surely I must get a lot of vibration from my car and that does not course me any problems, so is he just being hard on me?

Fortunateley I want to fly Fixed wing which the doctor then said it should not be a problem (not looking very convincing), he carried on "it will depend on how it looks on the X rays".

Now I have to worry about it for two weeks, does anyone out there have any simular experiences or knowledge spine equirements etc and should I be overly worried.

AerBabe
13th Oct 2001, 00:32
I've been wondering about this one for a while too. I have had scoliosis (the correct term for this!) for about 10 years, and had a spinal fusion to stop it getting any worse. I got a Class 2 medical with absolutely no problems, but I'm considering going commercial, and have no idea whether I'll be able to get a Class 1.

The only thing I can suggest is that you call the CAA, go through to the medical certificate people, and ask! That's what I've been trying to do. And if you get through before me, let me know what they say!

Best of luck... it's a bummer when something out of your control lets you down before you have the chance to muck things up yourself :)

mintfavour
13th Oct 2001, 12:22
Thanks Aerbabe for the correct term and spelling, thats why I called the thread "The Spine" because I can never remember. If you send me your email I will tell you how I got on as no doubt this thread will have disappeared by the time the CAA have sent me the letter which will denie me of my ambition or a cert so that I can carry on.

good luck anyway

gingernut
16th Oct 2001, 00:50
Doesn't sound as if the problem is bothering you that much. This is what I would be concerned with if I was a CAA examiner (which I am not!).

A word about the x-rays! Don't get too worried about these, they are usually pretty useless in predicting the natural history of back pain, ie you could be suffering severe pains, and have a normal looking x-ray, or you could be asymptomatAc with abnormal films ! Remember the definition of a well American ! One that hasn't had the tests yet ! (In other words, how you are actually feeling is more important than medical/physiological measurements) Good luck, keep swimming.
PS if you have any tips about landing a cessna172 I would be grateful!

AerBabe
17th Oct 2001, 22:49
Hey... finally got through to the CAA the other day. They said that the only thing that was likely to be a limiting factor for me was my flexibility in the flight deck. And general fitness for evacuation.

They recommended that I go for an assessment with a 1-rated AME before I go for a class one at Gatwick. Not sure how much that will cost, as the doctor hasn't got back to me yet!

AerBabe
3rd Nov 2001, 00:42
For anyone who wants some general information on Scoliosis, there is an organisation called the Scoliosis Association UK
http://www.sauk.org.uk/

I've found them very helpful!