PDA

View Full Version : University units - watch out for finding cuts

airborne_artist
15th Apr 2010, 09:27
The RN is clearly looking hard at URNU capex and opex. BBCi piece here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8617571.stm)

Jackonicko
15th Apr 2010, 10:13
"........the P2000 Fast Patrol Boat is nearing time for retirement.
With a maximum speed of 12 knots......."

Fast?

charliegolf
15th Apr 2010, 10:18
AA, whilst braced for the wrath of God (or BEagle): Why wouldn't the uni units be ripe for cuts? We are in the sh1t, and though I'm not naive enough to think the savings would be kept in defence, every little helps. From the criticisms I've picked up on here, would the loss be that great?

Further, will there ever be a shortage of aircrew/officer candidates coming forward for training; and will there be enough squadrons/airframes for them to fly anyway?

Tin hat on, I'll get back to the Ikea cupboards!

CG

airborne_artist
15th Apr 2010, 10:26
.......the P2000 Fast Patrol Boat is nearing time for retirement.
With a maximum speed of 12 knots.......

Missed that. HMS Sabre and her sisters did 45 kts at full chat.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/upload/img_400/image008.jpg

knowitall
15th Apr 2010, 10:35
"Further, will there ever be a shortage of aircrew/officer candidates coming forward for training"

depends what you define as a shortage

will there be enough to fill the spaces, yes

will there be as many to pick from, no

the OTC's already suffering a numbers drop off after they stopped being paid

I would remind previous generations of graduate that the kids don't get grants and have to pay tuition fees these days, the pay made up for using time that they could have been using in part time employment.

BEagle
15th Apr 2010, 11:17
And just how much money has nuLabor squandered on the 4-yearly farce of people running, jumping, throwing things and splashing about known as the Olympic Games 2012?

Even if University unit funding was cut, it wouldn't make any difference elsewhere. Apart, that is, from widespread resentment.

This abysmal Ministry of De-finance simply has to invest in the future of the nation and stop being so sandaholic. nuLabor has ruined the country, but to have embarked on the military adventurism which that little $hit Bliar did, and Incapability Brown after him, without adequate funding provisions simply beggars belief.

Still, no doubt all the East European immigrants are enjoying their state hand-outs. As are the underage teenage mothers with their illegitimate spawn...:mad:

I'd better shut up now as I'm beginning to sound like the Daily Mail.

bobward
15th Apr 2010, 12:50
How long before the scribblers decide to bin the cadet forces associated with the UAS / AEF's?

Shutting down the ATC/ACF/CCF would save them a few mill - just about enough to pay for the MP's pay rise this year. Alternatively, they could make us all self funding, like the Scouts........

UAV689
15th Apr 2010, 12:59
with friendly dave's speech the other day about society pulling together and youth volunteer schemes etc maybe they wont be able to cut back on the hitler youth and uni units, which if they cut either would be a huge huge shame.

I still remember the smiles on my face getting out of a bulldog for the first time, the chance of going flying is truely amazing and they cant cut that from youngsters lives.

Mr C Hinecap
15th Apr 2010, 14:20
Given the UAS system has - what - 1000 in it at any one time, that'll be a couple of hundred students per year who have to find something else to do.
Seems fair enough.
Puts a few pilots back in the system and reduces non-operational aircraft we don't need - reduces the estate - less gash clothing etc for students etc. I can see how the numbers add up.
Please don't tell me I know the cost, don't know the value etc. Ex UAS see the value, non ex UAS don't. Both sides seem to do well enough regardless of having been in a flying and drinking club or not.

A and C
15th Apr 2010, 22:08
As I have said on other forums I think that the UAS is ripe for cutting, no longer do the students do anything like an aircrew training course so it is of little use for training aircrew.

As a tool for teaching basic airmanship and flight opps to people who will be running the ground branches of the RAF the UAS is a very good however I would guess that the DOC of the flying part of the training is IRO £400/hour.

It is hard to put a value on the training that ground branch staff get from the UAS but I think that this flying training is of great value to the air force and that it would be a backward step to stop ground branch personnel getting some flying training.

When the RAF flying clubs can put basic training aircraft into the air for a DOC of as little as £90/hour you do have to ask if with some direct funding form the MoD what could done on a more modest budget.

BEagle
16th Apr 2010, 07:34
Leaving aside some of the more absurd comments made on this thread, I cannot understand why so many appear to support the idea of this hara-kiri. The UAS system, before it become some sort of 'Strength Through Joy' nonsense, was a proven, cost-effective way of providing top quality entrants to the RAF proper.

When RAFC destroyed the excellent Flight Cadet system at the end of the 1960s, the UAS system was seen as the intended replacement, followed by the Graduate Entrant course and a reduced-content Jet Provost course at Cranwell for those who arrived with PFB / PIFG. All pilots received the same course at the end of which they were awarded their wings, before being streamed FJ, ME or RW. This worked extremely well and had a global reputation for excellence.

Now look how things have deteriorated. ME pilots arriving at their OCUs with only around 30 hours PIC time........:\