PDA

View Full Version : Converting a non-JAA type rating for use in JAA member countries

Photon85
14th Apr 2010, 17:59
Hello there.

I've been trying to figure this out, but after searching through the forums, I couldn't find the exact answer to my question.

I've been looking around at jobs in Africa etc, and might have a contact there who would be able to get me in on a job on a 737-300.

From what I've gathered, I could do the type rating in the USA at a low-cost price (at least compared to taking it in Europe), and start flying down there.

What my question is though:
As far as I know, converting a FAA type rating without hours is impossible, however, is it possible to convert a non-JAA type rating if you have x amount of hours on type?

Peter PanPan
14th Apr 2010, 20:33
Your non-JAR rating can be transferred to your JAR license provided certain requirements are met, you might want to check JAR-FCL 1.245(e) (4)

Photon85
14th Apr 2010, 23:48
1.245 e 4 states:

(4) A rating issued or used in a non-
JAA State may remain in a JAR–FCL licence
at the discretion of the Authority provided the
requirements of that State are fulfilled and the
rating is restricted to aircraft registered in that
State.

Where do you find these requirements?

BillieBob
15th Apr 2010, 08:28
It depends on which country issued the JAA licence to which wish to transfer the rating. Assuming that your JAA licence was issued by Norway, you will have to find out what the Norwegian CAA's requirements are.

In the UK, to transfer a 737 type rating to a JAA licence without further training, you must have at least 500 hours on type, operational experience within the preceding 5 years and pass a Proficiency Check with a JAA authorised examiner. The requirements in other JAA member states may be different.

Luke SkyToddler
15th Apr 2010, 09:03
For UK it's basically 500 hours on type and then do a UK sim check, you will need to have a current UK licence including medical as well, or they can't issue it.

Peter PanPan
15th Apr 2010, 11:13
More than the country of issuance of your JAR license, it has basically to with which Amendment is currently being used by your NAA, the UK is pretty much leading the way for instance since the Amendments 7 and 6 are in use, for Airplanes and Helos respectively, Portugal on the other hand is using Amendment 3. I believe they don't differ much though with regards to type ratings. Also "That State" refers to the non-JAA State that issued your license (Or also ICAO State), so JAR–FCL 1.245 (e) (4) refers to requirements met with the State of issuance of your ICAO license and the restriction applies to aircraft from that same State. (ie: You hold a FAA CPL with a type rating on the A340, below 500 hrs on type you will be restricted to operate on N registered aircrafts) Anyone disagrees? Hope that helps, with JAR-FCL one definitely needs to be a bit of a Jesuit!

BillieBob
15th Apr 2010, 12:40
....the UK is pretty much leading the way for instance since the Amendments 7 and 6 are in use....Not quite, as of yesterday, the UK has implemented only Amendment 5 to JAR-FCL 1 and Amendment 3 to JAR-FCL 2, with some elements of Amendment 4 being implemented as detailed in AIC 72/2007.(ie: You hold a FAA CPL with a type rating on the A340, below 500 hrs on type you will be restricted to operate on N registered aircrafts) Anyone disagrees?Actually, this requirement is not relevant to the original post, which refers to the 'conversion' (more correctly the transfer) of a non-JAA type rating to a JAA one.

Peter PanPan
15th Apr 2010, 12:54
My bad, Amendments 5 and 3 are indeed in use. Concerning the "conversion" of the type or as you properly said the "transfer", that requirements seems to me relevant since it is a matter of hours on type amongst other requirements. The reference should actually be done to JAR–FCL 1.240 (a) (5):

(5) At the discretion of the Authority,
an aeroplane class or type rating may be
issued to an applicant who meets the
requirements for that rating of a non-JAA
State, provided JAR–FCL 1.250, 1.255 or
1.260 as applicable, are met. Such a rating
will be restricted to aeroplanes registered in
that non-JAA State, or operated by an
operator of that non-JAA State. The
restriction may be removed when the holder
has completed at least 500 hours of flight as
a pilot on the type/class and complied with
the revalidation requirements of JAR–FCL
1.245, and if applicable JAR-FCL 1.251

InSoMnIaC
15th Apr 2010, 12:58
Luke SkyToddler - For UK it's basically 500 hours on type and then do a UK sim check, you will need to have a current UK licence including medical as well, or they can't issue it.

However be aware that the type rating issued by the ICAO state needs to be a P1 type rating otherwise the UK CAA will not recognise it.

Photon85
15th Apr 2010, 13:39
Thanks for the replies !

So if I get a full type rating, get 500 hours on type, and do a checkout in a JAA country, at least the possibilities are there.

Peter PanPan
15th Apr 2010, 14:15
Well assuming you are talking about multi-pilot ratings, JAR–FCL 1.250 Type rating, multi-pilot – Conditions applies: you must have at least 70 hrs PIC in airplanes, a valid MEIR(A), certificate of completion of MCC and experience of at least 500 hours
as a pilot in multi-pilot operations. Good luck!

Photon85
15th Apr 2010, 14:30
Thanks ! :)