PDA

View Full Version : RN Helicopters in NI

Lee Howard
14th Apr 2010, 17:51
Following on from the excellent SHFNI thread, does anyone have any photographs of RN types operating in the Province? I'd be very interested in seeing anything depicting either a Sea King, Lynx or Wessex at Bessbrook with a view to possibly using something in my forthcoming helicopter book (see previous "Calling all ex-Waspies!" (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/409605-calling-all-ex-waspies.html)thread) to pay tribute to those Fleet Air Arm air and ground crews who operated in Northern Ireland from 1977 until 2007.

Lee

guidedweapons
15th Apr 2010, 11:45
I think I have some photos operating the MK4 at Bessbrook, I will have a trawl and send them to you.

Lee Howard
15th Apr 2010, 12:30
GW

That's great - look forward to seeing what you have.

Anyone else out there with pics?

Lee

peterperfect
15th Apr 2010, 14:10
I guess Wx 5 was the principle Fleet Air Arm participant in terms of hours flown and all RN types/marks did some work at various times. But if you want the full set, don't forget that the Wx 3 flew occasionally as part of the maritime component of Op Banner: Granada Patrol. You'll need to find a fairly rare picture of a Wx 3 dressed in olive drab though.

Lee Howard
15th Apr 2010, 14:30
Peter

I have photos of HAS.3 XM923 in the overall drab scheme (with markings removed) for Op GRENADA, but taken at RNAY Fleetlands, not in NI.

Photos of ANY RN Wessex in NI would be most welcome, whatever the mark.

Lee

garv
15th Apr 2010, 21:14
Ave some pic's Lee that i took as kid grew up in Bessbrook, not very great but will send the best two i ave.

Old-Duffer
16th Apr 2010, 05:36
Lee,

A chap called Guy Warner is a fund of knowledge about all things aviation in Ulster. He has published widely, including a book about RNAS Eglinton. He is also a leading light in the Ulster Aviation Society and they have a museum at Long Kesh.

If your request relates to the new book on Naval helios, I would think Guy is your man.

If you PM me, I shall try to find his address amongst the junk heap, laughingly called - but not by the current Mrs O-D - as my office.

O-D

RUCAWO
16th Apr 2010, 07:59
I have a pic somewhere of a Lynx HAS.2 in army style camo being used over here, quite different looking.

Lee Howard
16th Apr 2010, 12:39
PMs sent O-D and RUC.

The "AAC-style"-schemed Lynx was XZ691.

Lee