PDA

View Full Version : Nagel's Anomaloscope and CAA

N2334M
1st Oct 2001, 12:43
Hello.

I failed the H/W lanterntest at Gatwick and got a resctricted class one.

I passed the Nagel's Anomaloscope in the country where I live which is a test approved by JAR-FCL 3.225(a).

What can I do with CAA ?
Does anybody have had the same problem ?

Bye,
Pete.

kate
2nd Oct 2001, 20:02
what is an H/W lantern test?

N2334M
2nd Oct 2001, 20:54
The Holmes Wright lantertest is a color vision perception test.

It is approved by JAR regulations as ishiara plates, nagel anomaloscope, beynes lantern, spectrolux lantern.

It is taken when somebody fails ishiara test plates.

It consists in a black box which has two littly tiny holes on it, that lit in three different colours: red, green, white. One light is vertically above the other one.
They lit in certain configurations commanded by the examiner.

You sit in a chair, 6/7 meters far away from the lantern, and you have to guess what the colors displayed are.

There are two types of H/W lanterns, the A type which is used in Gatwick and the B type which it is said to be thougher but I've never tried that type out.

Hope I answered your questions.

apruneuk
3rd Oct 2001, 02:45
What is the extent of the restriction on your class 1 CAA medical?

Racer-X
3rd Oct 2001, 09:10
From memory if you fail the class 1 colour tests you are restricted to flying only during daylight hours.
It may also be a problem when seeking a job in an airline.
I was told all this when i failed the initial ishihara plates, I failed the H/W B lantern test (the hardest of the H/W tests), but did pass with H/W A with 100% accuracy.
The CAA gave me an unrestricted class 1 with an endorsement saying i was unrestricted. I later had this removed after speaking with my medical examiner, and im sweet!

But as seeing you have passed the anomaloscope you may be able to have the restriction lifted. I would inquire about this. Good luck!

[ 03 October 2001: Message edited by: Racer-X ]

N2334M
3rd Oct 2001, 10:23
This answer is for apruneuk.

My limitations, according to the incomplete CAA color vision medical examinations, are:

SCD: Standard Color Deficency
NPT: Not valid for public transportation
NJC: Non Jar Compliant

apruneuk
3rd Oct 2001, 11:03
That's interesting as pre-JAR the CAA didn't issue restricted Class 1 medicals as far as I remember - they used to downgrade you to a class 2. Surely if you have passed an acceptable test in Italy it would just be a case of doing the JAR Class 1 there and burying your CAA document.

N2334M
3rd Oct 2001, 11:35
I'm not going to bury something that I've paid £ 400 !!!!!!!!!!! (plus the roundtrip flight)

Anyway you are right. I will go on in Italy, but i would like handle the situation with CAA as well.