PDA

View Full Version : TIGER AIRWAYS type ratings

Barberspole-5
14th Apr 2010, 08:41
Can anyone specify the arrangements for A320 type ratings at Tiger. Is it based on a salary sacrifice system like VB?

Can anyone verify whether Tiger are looking at additional bases around the country.

Thanks in advance.

Sunstar320
14th Apr 2010, 09:44
New base probably Avalon or/and Brisbane. Who knows when, wouldn't put your money on anything, they are all talk half the time.

Ramboflyer 1
14th Apr 2010, 23:04
Its so sad Aviation has dropped to a level where you pay for your own rating, would not encourage the young ones to be pilots anymore....:=

Falling Leaf
15th Apr 2010, 10:43
Paying for your rating is just your most significant outlay with airlines these days.

Not specific to Tiger, but: Pay for travel to and from interview plus accommodation. Pay for any psychometric testing. Pay for any medical examination. Pay for Jepps, uniforms, dry cleaning, meals etc should you get a position.

Also, amazing how all these airlines want you to be highly experienced and current on their type of aircraft, IR renewal already out of the way for another 11 months 28 days... Does anyone want to pay anything for training, personal development these days?

Reason. They need that money to pay for the AVGAS, and in a few months they will have to raise fares or introduce fuel surcharges again, cause oil is climbing and there aint much fat left to trim.:eek:

Barberspole-5
15th Apr 2010, 11:01
Cheers for your input guys.

Still need an answer on the type rating issue. Is it pay up front? or is it salary sacrificed?

TexanPilot
16th Apr 2010, 07:40
I heard it was paid up front, but thats only third hand info.

Falling Leaf
16th Apr 2010, 08:17
From what I've heard, pay up front, and no you can't shop around for a TR, so do it when and with whom they stipulate.

Cost: $37,000

Most people will claw 16K back in tax refund, make sure you have a contract before you pay for the rating...

wrongwayaround
16th Apr 2010, 08:19
confirmed 2 friends of mine (1 capt, 1 FO) took out personal loans to pay for endo

DeltaT
17th Apr 2010, 00:28
And if you have been an unemployed pilot beforehand then tough luck, bank says they need to see 3 months wages going into your account right before, before they will consider a loan. EVEN if you show them the contract that says you have the job.

ozblackbox
17th Apr 2010, 10:35
Also, I think Tiger now do a simulator check as well prior to the interview - all at your expense!

Aussie
17th Apr 2010, 10:54
seems to be the norm these days. QFlink interview, jetstar, same, you have to pay....

Fonz121
17th Apr 2010, 11:10
Im not aware of having to pay for Qlink interview

Aussie
18th Apr 2010, 06:34
Yeah well you are now. You have to pay for the testing, perhaps not the interview, but the testing you do :) :E

Fonz121
18th Apr 2010, 06:39
That I am aware of.

metrosmoker
18th Apr 2010, 23:41
Up until these LCC scums came onto the scene I can only assume Qantas and Ansett used to fly pilots down to Sydney or Melbourne and put them up at the airlines expense for the period of the interview and selection process. Or is that the wrong assumption????
Wake up to yourselves you have always paid for the 'priveledge' of an interview.
As for the enorsement, since when has the cost gone up to $37 000. It used to be closer to $30.
If you want to have a whinge, make it relevant. Otherwise you just add fuel to managements fire (against pilots). The cost of the endo is a legitimate complaint. The fact you have to pay in the first place is a sign of the times and been the norm overseas for a very long time. Get used to it.