PDA

View Full Version : Flight Planing - clarification needed

fanda78
12th Apr 2010, 18:37
MEP1 cruising power settings - correction of one percent for every six degrees bellow ISA temperature should be made to manifold pressure. This is in CAP 697 but I wonder - Is this correction applicable to fuel flow as well?

cheers FrankO:eek:

fly_antonov
12th Apr 2010, 20:13
Do you mean mixture?
When changing cruise power setting, always enrich reasonably, set new power setting, then lean back until your RPM starts dropping, push back in a little until you regain RPM and push a little more. This all for a given prop RPM setting.

Usually you don' t lean by percentages but some aircraft' s POH' s or operators manuals recommend leaning by a certain distance in inches.

For the correct technique relevant to your aircraft, check your POH.

fanda78
12th Apr 2010, 22:04
thanks for answer but I did not ask about how to lean the mixture but about calculation of fuel flow and MAP from given power settings using CAP 697.
CAP states that MAP have to be reduced/enlarged for every six percent of deviation from ISA temperature and does not state anything about correcting fuel flow but I have seen some examples where fuel flow has been corrected.
Anyway I have raised same question with CATS and have clarification that fuel flow shall not be corrected in case of MEP1 only in case of MRJT1 but that's different chapter.:ok:

Piltdown Man
13th Apr 2010, 09:17
The best source for answers to this sort of twaddle will always be the ATPL schools. The correct answer will also often change on an exam by exam basis.

But your question is very encouraging because it shows that the Campaign and their friends the Europlonkers are still locked in 1960's aviation and still ask questions which have nothing to do with real life. Personally, I wish they'd alter the syllabus and get the candidates to learn about writing quickly in small boxes, eating out of cardboard boxes, car mechanics, house decoration and flower arranging. Then you'd at least come out of aviation schools with worthwhile knowledge which you'll probably use on a regular basis.

PM

fly_antonov
13th Apr 2010, 20:59
Oops, I didn' t see that it was a flight planning question, thought your question was about mixture setting.