PDA

View Full Version : Cheap handheld VHF for your flight bag

VH-XXX
12th Apr 2010, 04:31
(Moderators, delete if you wish, but this is about safety after all)

Just got my monthly special list from Gulf Coast Avionics and saw the Vertex Handheld VXA200 is only US$159. Last time I got one of these to go in my flight bag as a spare for a comms failure, it was US$179 and it cost me less than $250 delivered to OZ including a power adapter from Trickie Dickies. Spruce usually have them for around US$179
Good value if you are paranoid about a radio failure as a backup or like to listen from home (keeping in mind any legal ramifications of this).

Just be careful with freight, it could be around $60 so if you order one, see if someone else at your airport wants one and split the cost. I've ordered about 10 of these for friends and family and haven't had any problems with them. Also picked up their VHF marine model for only $140 so they are good value (waterproof too). Sorry if I sound like a salesman but they are bl00dy good value and half that of the equivalent ICOM's.

training wheels
14th Apr 2010, 07:26
That's quite cheap for the transceiver. I bought a Realistc Pro32 VHF receiver many years ago for about that price.