PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Rating Conversion FAA to JAA

hsw88
11th Apr 2010, 19:06
Instrument Rating Conversion FAA to JAA

Hey Guys,
I'm a trainee pilot that has been getting the licence throughout a school in the US and at the moment I'm almost done with the American phase of the training and am looking for information regarding the Conversion of my FAA Instrument Rating into a JAA one.
Can u please help me out with information about different schools that you might have been getting this done with ????

davidibiza
13th Apr 2010, 11:59
I too would be interested.

Thanks.

kaptene
13th Apr 2010, 12:20
hi
I have a similar situation and the response i've got from a UK FTO is that you need to have a UK JAR PPL or CPL to begin the training if you plan to do it in the UK. If it's in the US, I don't think you will need a UK PPL. After that, you must do the MEP VFR course. After passing the VFR skill test you can proceed to the conversion. The requierements to do so in the UK are:

• Minimum 18 years of age
• Theoretical IR (recommended theoretical ATPL)
• ICAO, FAA PPL/CPL SE IR (A)
• JAR PPL/CPL (A) including Night Rating
• JAR MEP
• Current JAR Medical class 1
• Current FAA Medical
• Flight Radiotelephony Operators Licence
• 50 Cross country flight time and 70 total hours PIC in aeroplane or helicopter of with at least 10 shall be in aeroplane.

Course content

• 7 hours in one of our twin engine aircrafts
• 13 hours in Simulator FNPT II
• JAR ME/IR Skill test

The conversion costs around 8000£ and takes more or less 2 weeks.

Another option, is if you'd like to complete the ATPL steps, which is more interesting I guess, is to take the JAA ground school exams, and do some hours on the multi-engine.

Hope this helps !

MagicTiger
13th Apr 2010, 16:56
First step is to pass the 14 ATPL exams.