PDA

View Full Version : Teeth extractions and flying

Angle of Attack
9th Jun 2001, 06:57
Just wondering what the recommended period of rest is between teeth exractions and flying is? Or if anyone else has had experience with it or any problems that could occur?

Droopy
9th Jun 2001, 13:49
UK regulations are minimum 12hrs after local anaesthetic and 48hrs after general; I can't find any specific reference to tooth extraction but clearly the usual rules about pain medication would apply along with sensible self-assessment regarding discomfort.

skyvan
10th Jun 2001, 00:04
A word of caution, wait for all the swelling to abate. I had a tooth extracted, under local late last year, and ended up at the maxillo-facial surgeon, after the dentist managed to tear into my sinus passage trying to get out the stubborn tooth. I ended up being off flying for two weeks, until the stitches fell out.
If you try to fly too early, any weakened areas near the sinus area may fail, causing some distress (from the FA who walks in to see you dribbling blood!! ) and pain (after the minor surgery to repair the damage.
Like most medical things, don't rush back to fly too soon. Wait until you are definately 100%.

Angle of Attack
12th Jun 2001, 16:39
thanks for the messages I'll watch out for those things, geez I hope all of mine come out OK!