PDA

View Full Version : R44 down at Archerfield

blakmax
11th Apr 2010, 12:51
R44 crashed while landing. Three injuries.

Chopper crashes at Archerfield airport

16:09 AEST Sun Apr 11 2010

Three people have escaped a helicopter crash with minor injuries.
The chopper crashed at Archerfield airport in Brisbane's southside around midday (AEST) on Sunday.
A Department of Community Safety spokeswoman said it was unclear whether the chopper was taking off or landing when it hit the ground hard.
The crash sparked a small fire which fire crews extinguished immediately, she said.
The pilot and two passengers were taken to hospital with minor injuries.
Aviation authorities will be investigating the cause of the crash.
Chopper crashes at Archerfield airport (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/1038384/chopper-crashes-at-archerfield-airport)

imabell
11th Apr 2010, 22:38
helicopter had approached the main pad and was taxiing for landing when it got out of control.

rumour has it that after exiting the wreck the pilot said that was the end of his aviation career.

same pilot wrote off a freshly rebuilt long ranger not twelve months ago taxiing for landing.

one flying school had earlier advised him that helicopter flying was not for him.

EN48
11th Apr 2010, 23:56
one flying school had earlier advised him that helicopter flying was not for him.

Apparently he is now persuaded. :bored:

mickjoebill
13th Apr 2010, 05:49

What percentage of students are told that helicopter flying is not for them?

What percentage need to be told?

Mickjoebill

VH-XXX
13th Apr 2010, 06:07
If you were an instructor would you tell your primary income source to go elsewhere?

VeeAny
13th Apr 2010, 08:30
VH-XXX

Yes I would tell them, I have done once or twice.

Doesn't make you popular, might save someone killing themselves later on though which is actually what matters.

There is always another school willing to take them on, and with enough cash a lot will get licences, I know of a few examples who were told, persisted and subsequently died, just because someone else can train them doesn't mean they should (always).

GS

topendtorque
13th Apr 2010, 11:24
If you were an instructor would you tell your primary income source to go elsewhere?

I think that it is a matter of working out just what is your primary source of income:

1) those that know they will get a license regardless of their attributes, or;

2) those who know that when they get a license that the standards that you instruct will stand them in good stead forever.

A very simple choice. VeeAny has it right.
cheers tet

Carps
13th Apr 2010, 11:26
Any more info on the crash?

deeper
14th Apr 2010, 05:57
there you go.

http://www.bluetonguehelicopters.com.au/pprune/mill.JPG

Josh Cox
14th Apr 2010, 06:57
Looks like they may be able to salvage the tail rotor :).

If Imabell is who I think he is, he certainly would tell a student this if it was his opinion, an opinion well regarded in the industry.

Dalmatian
14th Apr 2010, 07:13
Does anyone know the call sign of this heli?

Squeaks
14th Apr 2010, 07:31
Word is that he was in the hover (or taxiing slowly) and 'lost it' when reaching down to change frequency :(

Not a bad pilot, but overly concerned with his ability to hover after his previous accident. Only just moved into a hangar at Archerfield: the day before :rolleyes:

On an operational note, I'd be more concerned at AF Tower closing the field for nigh on one hour, of which 40+ minutes were waiting for Archerfield Airport Corporation to attend and clear the area and runways for continued operation. The thieving ratbags charge enough to anyone wanting to use their development site, the least they can do is to attempt to provide a service for the charges they make :mad:

GoodGrief
14th Apr 2010, 07:56
You don't change freqs in a hover, you set it down on the ground.
Come on, that is basic PPL training.

Ag-Rotor
14th Apr 2010, 08:21
Another good helicopter adding to the insurance pool of scrap, just watch out for an increase in premiums.

John R81
14th Apr 2010, 22:12
Taking hands off the cyclic / collective that close to the ground?

deeper
15th Apr 2010, 00:22
sorry about the quality, it 's off my phone. This is the long ranger that the same pilot wrote off taxiing at Wave Hill cattle station eight months ago.

http://www.bluetonguehelicopters.com.au/pprune/mill2.jpg

by the way the rego of the 44 is/was VH-LTE,
this maybe the excuse the pilot uses.

imabell
17th Apr 2010, 00:28
another thread has it that he did some extensive damage to a new ferrari f430 learning to drive it on the track.

stonedigger
18th Apr 2010, 11:35
not always true - but most of the 'rich' guys i've had the 'pleasure' of teaching didn't care much about studying or developing the airmanship required to be a decent pilot. unfortunately most of them treated a helicopter lesson similar to their golf lesson at the local driving range - walk in, pay, fly, leave.

in saying that a good few of my 'wealthy' ex-students have become very safe and thinking pilots - most of them opted for the cpl instead of the ppl though!

i only had to talk the talk to one student so far - he was the average tradie you see walking the streets

sd

imabell
18th Apr 2010, 21:51
there has to be a lot of pressure on some instructors working for companies that sell helicopters.

most of the new R44's in australia for instance, are purchased by private individuals who "always had a yearn to fly". unfortunately a good percentage of them should never take to the skies.

this leaves the instructor in the unenviable position of "having" to train them no matter what.

some of these pilots are capable but the rest blunder through the skies oblivious to all as they struggle just to stay upright.