PDA

View Full Version : Audiograms

Determined
23rd Jul 2001, 20:36
I have my Class 1 medical soon and the only thing I'm worried about is my hearing. As a child I had numerous ear/throat infections and subsequently had grommits put in both ears. Now as an adult, I notice that there is a difference in tone, not volume, between each ear on the telephone. Not a big difference but noticeable.

Does anyone out there notice the same thing and hold a Class 1 medical? Anyone with experience with decibels and the limits involved care to comment on whether this is likely to cause me any problems? Thanks alot people. Appreciate it.

[ 23 July 2001: Message edited by: Determined ]

AspiringAviator
26th Jul 2001, 01:17
Hi there,

Although i'm not a professional pilot myself i do hope to go that way and have wondered about hearing myself. Having looked at the CAA website for medical info i found the page for medicals below:
http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/pld/med/med_information.asp?category=8

It says here that if you can hear normal voice from 2 metres you'll probably be alright. There is more info there with frequencies and decibel rates but i have no undeerstanding. Good luck with the career anyway and even if the CAA is too strict you can probably get your PPL or go abroad to fly.

AA

seatrumpeter
27th Jul 2001, 02:02
I was a little worried going into my class one and in fact I failed the audiogram fairly spectacularly. My hearing was considerably outside the initial limits and just a little outside the renewal limits. I was stunned! I took the test three times that day but there was no improvement.

The IAA took my case under review and granted the medical on the basis of my flight experience. I suppose they figured that if I had gone as far as I had (I have over 1,000 hours - all in the US and I have held a valid US Class 1 for several years), that I must be able to hear something....

If you are concerned, I would advise having a audiogram done prior to the class 1 medical. Take along the JAR requirements and the audiologist will be able to tell you whether or not you meet the requirements.

I can tell you that the requirements are tight. I feel as though I can hear perfectly well and I never miss radio calls in the cockpit.

[ 26 July 2001: Message edited by: seatrumpeter ]

RVR800
27th Jul 2001, 17:18
Determined..

I know a Physicist who is a pilot and
high up in the world of Audiology you could call him .. he works in ENT too ..

E-mail me

I will give you the details

fail to plan ..
plan to fail..