PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Renewals ? (Wilmo / FCL3 - u about ?)

anengineer
6th Jun 2001, 20:35
Sorry for starting another thread! I am trying to find out exactly where in the JARs it states that colour vision is retested every 5 years. Both Wilmo and FCL3 claim this is so, but I cannot find any reference to it on the JAA site.

I would have contacted Wilmo / FCL3 directly, rather than start another thread on this subject, but their profiles omit email addresses and I doubt if they would see this if it was added to the other threads.

Can anyone help ? (I promise, no more threads on colour vision !)

mad_jock
6th Jun 2001, 23:06
i am not taking the piss but its actually printed on the class 1 medical cert

Comprehensive Opthalmological Exam
under 40 - 5 yearly
40 + - 2 yearly

The other thing i have just noticed is that i am due a electrocardiogram in 2006 when i am 35 yet if i had got my intial 2 months later i would have to get it when i am 32.

Some of these Jar regs get stranger and stranger :)

MJ

Island Air
7th Jun 2001, 17:00
"Comprehensive Opthalmological Exam
under 40 - 5 yearly
40 + - 2 yearly"

Try to keep up folks, this was discussed at length a couple of weeks ago as this requirement has now been dropped by the UK CAA.

anengineer
7th Jun 2001, 23:47
Hmmm... Does the 'Comprehensive' exam every 5 years include colour vision tests ?? Where is this written in stone ?

..and can the CAA decide which parts of the JARs it likes and which it doesn't ???

Sorry for being so behind Island Air :) , but I haven't seen any mention of this before.

Island Air
8th Jun 2001, 12:32
anengineer, here it is, but a 1 minute search would have found it for yourself!

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum52/HTML/000582.html

anengineer
9th Jun 2001, 03:18
Island Air - thank for the link. I had actually seen that thread before, but didn't think that "The principal effect of the changes will be that no pilots will be required to have an examination carried out by an optician/optometrist and the
additional tests required for the extended eye examination will not be completed"
Could, when translated for a layman, mean
"You will never have your colour perception tested again". To my mind, the wording actually implies that once you pass your first Class 1, you could go blind as a bat and they couldn't care less.... which obviously isn't the case.

I am not a pilot, I have never sat a Class 1 and I am not au fait with the
some of the terminology. A little more patience would be appreciated.

Barney
11th Jun 2001, 19:39
Hi,

They have now scrapped the need to have the extended eye exam every 5 years. Yours eyes will be thoroughly checked by your AME.

As to checking your colour vision....I'm not sure. I have a feeling that it is only checked at initial. The reason being is that colour vision does not deteriorate with age.

If you really need to know, email the CAA Aeromedical Section. They are usually quite good....you will get an email response in a day or so.

Barney