PDA

View Full Version : Tornado Questions

Herkdrvr
10th Apr 2010, 16:38
Hi All,

This is my second attempt at a post. My first said it needed to be approved by the mods, but it's been a while so perhaps it didn't make it through. Mods: If this is duplicated in your system, I apologize.

Basically, I am going to build a scale model of the German Tornado ECR. There are aftermarket parts available for these kits, but these parts primarily mod the RAF versions...GR1, GR4 etc. I am wondering if someone can point out the major differences between the variants, or perhaps link me to a site that covers this information.

No detail is too small and any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Herkdrvr

L J R
11th Apr 2010, 06:32
GR-1 has 2 guns
GR-4 has one

GR-1 has one fairing under nose forward of the front cockpit

GR-4 has 2

Harley Quinn
11th Apr 2010, 08:57
Anyway, trying to answer the original question, main external differences between RAF Tornados and GAF Tornados are aerial fits, and the shape of the ERU fairings on the pylons. I don't think the ECR variant had guns installed , but no doubt someone else can verify that. You could always have a search through Airliners.net, they have a pretty good selection of photos

spectre150
11th Apr 2010, 12:19
I dont think the GAF Tornados carry big tanks (2250l) so if the RAF kit comes with those you might need to fashion the smaller 1500litre version. They do not have the FLIR blister from the GR4 (not even sure they had the LRMTS fairing) and the RAF's BOZ/Skyshadow stores on the outer wing pylons will be redundant. I hope that helps.

Herkdrvr
11th Apr 2010, 13:10
LJR/Harley/Spectre,

Thank you very much! I'm taking notes so each one of your responses was very helpful indeed.

Thanks again,

Herkdrvr

E-Spy
11th Apr 2010, 14:04
ECR does have a FLIR fairing, where the GR1/4 laser fairing is. Slightly different to the GR4 FLIR too. HQ is correct - no guns on the ECR. The RAF BOZ pod will suffice on the right wing, but you'll need a different shape jamming pod on the left - something similar to the old Jag pod may work.
RWR aerials are black and slightly rounder and more bulbous than GR4.

You may want to check out this site for some photos:

Pictures (http://www.flyingmonsters.de/Pics1.htm)

Good luck
Spy

Thelma Viaduct
11th Apr 2010, 14:57
Typically how often is the LRMTS used on the GR4?

Laser Ranger and Marked Target Seeker (LRMTS) (United Kingdom) - Jane's Avionics (http://www.janes.com/articles/Janes-Avionics/Laser-Ranger-and-Marked-Target-Seeker-LRMTS-United-Kingdom.html)

Is it made redundant by the litening pod ??

Herkdrvr
11th Apr 2010, 15:31
E-Spy,

Thanks! I just bookmarked that page. I'll look out for an appropriate jamming pod. Maybe I have one in a stash of spare modeling parts.

Regards,

Herkdrvr

sprocky_ger
11th Apr 2010, 15:41
German IDS Tornados have two guns (at least our Navy ones had).
ECR have none (at least those from Lechfeld I saw those days).

30mRad
11th Apr 2010, 21:01
Litening and LRMTS are used for 2 different tasks - Litening for marking tgts for LGBs, LRMTS for picking up laser returns from a laser marked target and for range calculations.

Easy Street
11th Apr 2010, 22:36
Further to 30mR's point, Litening also has a laser spot tracker facility; this is used far more often than the LRMTS's one. The main use of LRMTS today is to provide slant range for gun aiming calculations.