PDA

View Full Version : Epilepsy and Flying

Flying Clog
22nd Jul 2001, 00:46
I've got a friend who has a history of epilepsy in her family. Would this prevent her from obtaining a medical as there would be a risk of having a stroke?

Thnx in advance...

DX Wombat
23rd Jul 2001, 01:27
To the best of my knowledge a family history of epilepsy does not increase the risk of stroke. I cannot comment on medical requirements for flying but I would have thought that a personal history ( as opposed to a family one) would cause problems just as it would when applying for a driving licence. Perhaps a medical person connected with flying can help.

Tocsin
23rd Jul 2001, 01:37
IANAD (I am not a doctor) but...

There is no connection between epilepsy and strokes - do you mean seizures? (Strokes are loss of blood flow to the brain, seizures are disruption to the nerve signals within the brain).

Epileptic seizures are a no-no for most flying, certainly commercial, for good reason.

For flying for pleasure, the UK proposed National Private Pilots Licence suggests similar medical rules to those for driving cars, and people with a history of epilepsy that is now controlled sufficiently for them to be passed fit to drive _may_ qualify. As the law is not yet changed, we will have to "watch this space".

Flying Clog
23rd Jul 2001, 02:21
Sorry, I did mean seizures. The pilot in question has been flight instructing abroad for quite some time and has had seizures in the past. She doesn't know why they occur, and they HAVE occured once or twice in the last few years.

I've told her to go and have some sort of CAT scan, as this might lead to the cause of the problem. But, hey, I'm not a doctor either. She then told me that there was a history of epilepsy in her family. This, IMHO, is probably the root of her problem, and this would most likely prevent her from flying and having a clear conscience at the same time.

Any ideas, I'm just trying to help this desperate pilot out in a terrible situation that I hope I'm NEVER faced with in my flying career.

Rgds,

Clogs

[ 22 July 2001: Message edited by: Flying Clog ]

Tocsin
25th Jul 2001, 01:59
Clogs,

Good advice on getting it checked out - epilepsy can be a life-terminating affliction (in the bath or in the air...)

As for a definite history of seizures, in my opinion that does not mix with flight instruction - put yourself in the shoes of an ab-initio student with an unconscious instructor!

The NPPL proposal I was talking about had 10 years free from seizures and a medical assessment of minimal risk of recurrence (Group 2 driving standard) before allowing the carriage of passengers.

Sorry I can't be more positive on this one.

Little Black Box
25th Jul 2001, 14:16
Hopefully, if your friend has suffered from seizures in the past few years she has been seen by a neurologist.

If not she should ask to see one. It does depend on the type of seizure she is having but the neurologist should send her for an MRI scan which is a far more sensitive imaging method than CT. A CT scan can show if it is a tumour causing the seizures but if it is a small change or defect in the brain that is the cause, MRI usually gives the answer.

gingernut
31st Jul 2001, 01:59
"Seizure" is a bit of a "catch all" term. Your friend needs to speak to a quack for her problem to be defined accurately.

BenHK
3rd Oct 2001, 11:23
Being a young epileptic, now ex-pilot I afraid that the news is not good for your friend. I developed Epilepsy 3 years ago due to a tumour in my brain which was operated on causing me to be fit free now for 2 years.
I have been desperately trying to get my ATPL back and it looks like in the short term at least that the best I can expect is the new NPPL. Looks like ATPL is never going to happen.Things may change shortly due to the revamp of all the JAR medical requirements.
Your friend definately needs to see a quack, however the first thing he/she will do is revoke the medical certificate as 2 seizures automatically categorizes you as eplieptic in this country, therefore no commercial flying.
Good luck - I hope you have more luck than I've had. :confused:

10th Oct 2001, 17:57
Does this apply for her?
If yes, I'm sorry. If no she'll get the class 1, class 2 requirements are surely less restrictive.

2 A diagnosis of epilepsy is disqualifying. One or more convulsive episodes after the age of 5 is disqualifying. However, a single convulsive episode may be accepted by the AMS when satisfactorily explained by a non-recurrent cause and after full neurological evaluation.

3 Paroxysmal EEG abnormalities are disqualifying