PDA

View Full Version : DHL accident in BAH?

daidalos
10th Apr 2010, 11:26
So, nobody knows, up to now, what happenned this morning in BAH airport? I heard that there was an accident with a DHL aircraft, but no more than that. Anybody else knows any details?

G-FULL
10th Apr 2010, 12:32
Engine boomed before V1, aborted T/O - Spilled oil which closed the airport for 3 hours (cleaning) - All clear now .. Normal OPS

Mike.Park
10th Apr 2010, 12:33
Apparently in/outbound flights were delayed as they had to clean up the debris left on the runway. We'll probably hear about what happened tomorrow..if we're lucky. Takes time for the the Bahrainis to 'approve' their press releases.

Can anyone shed any more light?

gulf_slf
10th Apr 2010, 12:42
Odd! I posted a note in main section earlier that I had heard that Bahrain had been closed by a military a/c leaving debris on the runway but unspecified. Thus I asked for any clarification on what the cause was?

Received none to date ....however I note that my post has been deleted with out trace .......raw nerve maybe??

The GF website was not carrying any travel advisoty and Bahrain airport website had no information except to show delayed departing and arriving flights

My information came for a Pax on the GF 501 (DXB-BAH) who texted on the ground at Dammam to say that they had been diverted due to the runway being closed. They were in Dammam for about an hour before being advised that Bahrain was open and they would depart shortly to BAH.

No other information available

Mike.Park
10th Apr 2010, 16:38
Bahrain airport reopens after mishap

Bahrain International Airport reopened on Saturday after being shut down for more than two hours following a minor accident involving a Afghanistan-bound DHL cargo aircraft.

According to airport officials, the aircraft’s engine caught fire during takeoff thus resulting in a minor damage to the runway.

As a precautionary measure, all incoming flights were diverted to neighbouring airports for about two-and-a-half hours till the main runway began operating, according to the Bahrain Airport Company (BAC), which is incharge of management and operation of the kingdom's airport.

The emergency procedures were immediately initiated, including the safe evacuation of all seven crew on board and the successfully containment of the fire, the BAC said in a statement.

Dr Osama Al Ali, CEO of Bahrain Airport Company said, "The Engine 2 of the DHL A300 cargo plane had caught fire during takeoff. After the aircraft’s captain reported the fault to the Air Traffic Control, the fire brigade at airport and Ministry of Interior’s Civil Defence and security forces were immediately on hand to deal with the situation, resulting in the aircraft’s crew of seven being safely evacuated."

"Engineers and technicians from the Airport Engineering Division were also called in to deal with the runway damage, whilst airside operations staff moved the aircraft off the runway, removed oil and debris off the airfield," he added.

Owing to the mishap, all aircraft movement on the runway was halted from 7:22am to 10am (local time) as per international practice.

"The officials at the Air Traffic Control co-ordinated with neighboring airports to receive Bahrain bound flights, diverting eight incoming flights to Damam International Airport, five flights to Doha International Airport and one flight to Abu Dhabi International Airport," Dr Al Ali said.

He lauded the staff of both the emergency services and Civil Aviation Affairs and Airport for their speed in dealing with not only the emergency, but the efficiency of returning the Airport to normal working order.

“BAC, Civil Aviation Affairs and emergency services personnel performed their roles superbly today dealing with a difficult and potential dangerous situation with total professionalism and dedication. This was a textbook emergency response operation, which ensured the safe return of seven crew members, as well as the successfully rerouting of all incoming flights and the return of the airport to full working order within two and a half hours," he remarked.

" I am extremely grateful to all those involved, which demonstrated not only the robustness of the airport’s safety procedures, but the skill of the Airport’s combined staff,” he added.

Source: TradeArabia (http://www.tradearabia.com/news/newsdetails.asp?Sn=TTN&artid=177880)

EK2EYengineer
10th Apr 2010, 17:19
I have the pictures but i dont have the previlige to attach them

SkyDive6
10th Apr 2010, 18:07
Engineer! Try to upload them to ImageShack® - Online Media Hosting (http://imageshack.us/) and post the URL's here.

Che Guevara
10th Apr 2010, 21:44
Engine boomed before V1, aborted T/O

Great terminology there!
In case of an engine 'boom' before V1, I will say STOP....;)

Rumour around the airport was that an engine detached itself from it's mounts at some stage, can anybody clarify? Not the boom now, the detachment...

Cheers

Mike.Park
10th Apr 2010, 23:44
According to the article (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=275427) in today's GDN, it was caused by a bird strike.

I love the short statement made by one of the country's MPs who said "It is regretful that a 40-year-old aircraft is allowed to operate through the airport without any control"

troff
11th Apr 2010, 06:20
Better than 40-year-old "politicians" allowed to operate without any control.

Da Do Ron Ron
11th Apr 2010, 07:52
No-one was injured but sources said the take-off of the fully loaded DHL aircraft, an Airbus A300 carrying seven people and thousands of tonnes of cargo, had to be aborted at 7.22am following a "blow out" in one of its engines.

It's in the GDN so it MUST be true :ok:

Panama Jack
11th Apr 2010, 08:54
"It is regretful that a 40-year-old aircraft is allowed to operate through the airport without any control"

Further proof that these guys haven't got a clue on what they talk about. It is regretful that MP's are allowed to make remarks without any control. Oh well, it's great free publicity.

Neultin
11th Apr 2010, 21:46
First post. Don't bash me.
I just saw the pictures last night. I doubt what the esteemed GDN reported about a birdstrike is correct unless we have Canadian geese migrating here. It looked like the whole N2 section removed itself from the engine. Pictures of the jet pipe in the back of the pickup and the N2 turbine, sans blades. Also a pic of fuel leaking out of a puncture hole in the bottom of the wing. It looks like a major failure of the engine, full stop.
And I'm also sorry GDN... But a 40????? year old aircraft?? And the engine was how old?? Got to love the media!!

Che Guevara
12th Apr 2010, 08:11
So the "boom" factor is relevant...;)
(uncontained engine failure)

Neultin, did the engine separate from the wing of not?

Cheers

EK2EYengineer
12th Apr 2010, 16:45
Imageshack - 10042010656.jpg (http://img52.imageshack.us/i/10042010656.jpg/)
Imageshack - 10042010655.jpg (http://img85.imageshack.us/i/10042010655.jpg/)
Imageshack - 10042010654.jpg (http://img164.imageshack.us/i/10042010654.jpg/)
Imageshack - 10042010657.jpg (http://img709.imageshack.us/i/10042010657.jpg/)

Here you can see the engine failure.

Da Do Ron Ron
13th Apr 2010, 09:20
Made me giddy looking at those :rolleyes:

ferris
13th Apr 2010, 10:29
It might take a few days to put that back together. Fan blades can be very fiddly to solder.