PDA

View Full Version : Missing Aspects of UK Defence Plan

L J R
10th Apr 2010, 04:51
Firstly, I do not encourage you to read this document....What I do suggest is to search for words in it that are related to your position as a military aviator....

The Plan itself focusses on issues such as..

The narrative element of the Plan outlines the Public Service Agreements and Departmental Strategic objectives that provide the framework within which MOD works.

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/AB3A3278-2820-40EF-AA15-9BDA7D0A5318/0/Defence_Plan_2010_2014.pdf

For example - there is only one mention of Weapon...I would have thought that weapons are an integral part of a Defence Plan.... or have I missed the point...:ugh:

In the document, Royal Air Force does not rate a mention, nor does Ship, Aircraft or Tank....

It does however make mention of the following:

New car fleet average carbon dioxide emissions of 130g/km*

and..

Lead the global effort to avoid dangerous climate change

Whilst I admit that I have not read it cover to cover, what does it actually do for the Defence of the Country..?

green granite
10th Apr 2010, 06:27
For example - there is only one mention of Weapon...I would have thought that weapons are an integral part of a Defence Plan.... or have I missed the point...

Of course, you're not allowed to use weapons nowadays as you might infringe the enemies human rights, so you dont need to issue them to the troops.

Whilst I admit that I have not read it cover to cover, what does it actually do for the Defence of the Country..?

Nothing except it tries to shore up the rapidly declining consensus about climate change.

Jimlad1
10th Apr 2010, 08:49
Its one of the remarkably turgid documents that have been produced to explain what it is that the MOD is doing in terms of running its business for the next few years. This is one of two that you should read - this one sets out the business processes and how we're going to run the department, while Defence Strategic Guidance is the one which sets out what weapons we need, and how many of them, and what they could do.

Useful if you really wanted to know what the Department is planning in terms of its top level management, (something done mainly to calm down auditors and MP audit committees) but thats about it.