PDA

View Full Version : ATPL conversion question

dxbpilot
9th Apr 2010, 13:53
Hi,

I hold a Australian CPL and a Irish ATPL. I want to obtain a Aus ATPL aswell but I have only done the JAA ATPL exams.

I know what I have to do flying wise to get the ATPL (get a Aus IR).

Do I simply convert the licence as a overseas licence holder would or will holding a Aus CPL make the process more complicated (ie have to sit all the Aus ATPL exams instead of the reduced amount).

Thanks for the help

chainsaw
9th Apr 2010, 23:23
The answer to your question is in the CARs. :ok:

As the holder of an Australian CPL, you are familiar with the CARs I hope. :}

j3pipercub
9th Apr 2010, 23:42
Dxb, I'm pretty sure you have to do the exams, that's how it works the other way around, and that's what a friend of mine had to do. I am assuming when you say you have done the JAA subjects that you don't have a full ATPL...

chainsaw
10th Apr 2010, 09:13
j3pipercub,

dxbpilot said:

I hold a...[sic] Irish ATPL

Repeat..........dxbpilot's said he/she holds the licence, which is a whole lot different than just having done the JAA ATPL subjects. As previously suggested, read the CARs (5.165). :ok:

Different story for an Australian ATPL holder wanting a JAA licence though. :ugh:

dxbpilot
13th Apr 2010, 10:54
Yes I hold a full Irish ATPL. Not a frozen.

When I converted to a JAA licence I held a Aus CPL with no Aus ATPL subjects done.

I have 1300 hours on the 738 and 1600TT. Thinking about applying for a job back in Aus so hoping I can do the reduced number of exams if I am eligible.

I don't have a copy of the CARs handy.

Thanks for the help

ravan
14th Apr 2010, 05:44
dxbpilot, extract of relevant CAR for your information and edification.:)
More on line at: ComLaw Legislative Instrument Compilations - Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 (SR 1988 No. 158) (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/0/F68350E23C15ADF6CA2575E500222C1E?OpenDocument)

You want Vol 2 Part 5 (Choose your preferred format)

CAR 5.165 What are the qualifications for an air transport pilot(aeroplane) licence?
(1) For the purposes of subregulation 5.09 (1), a person is
qualified to hold an air transport pilot (aeroplane) licence if the person:
(a) is at least 21 years old; and
(b) holds, or is qualified to hold, a flight radiotelephone operator licence; and
(c) holds a commercial pilot (aeroplane) licence; and
(d) holds, or has held, a command (multi engine aeroplane) grade of instrument rating; and
(e) has been awarded a pass in an air transport pilot (aeroplane) licence theory examination; and
(f) has the aeronautical experience set out in regulation 5.172.
Note 1 Details of the flight radiotelephone operator licence are set out in Division 3 — Flight radiotelephone operator licence.
Note 2 Details of the commercial pilot (aeroplane) licence are set out in Division 8 — Commercial pilot (aeroplane) licence.
Note 3 Details of instrument ratings are set out in the Civil Aviation Orders.
(2) In spite of subregulation (1), a person is qualified to hold an air transport pilot (aeroplane) licence if:
(a) the person:
(i) holds, or has held, an overseas pilot licence that is at least equivalent to the air transport pilot (aeroplane) licence; and
(ii) satisfies the requirements of paragraphs (1) (a), (b), (d) and (f); and
(iii) has been awarded a pass in an air transport
pilot (aeroplane) licence overseas conversion examination; or
(b) the person:
(i) holds a current overseas pilot licence that is at least equivalent to the air transport pilot (aeroplane) licence; and
(ii) satisfies the requirements of paragraphs (1) (a), (b), (d) and (f); and
(iii) is employed by, or is working under an arrangement with, an operator to whom regulation 217 applies; and
(iv) has satisfactorily completed an aeroplane proficiency check required by regulation 217; and
(v) has been awarded a pass in an air transport
pilot (aeroplane) licence overseas conversion examination; or
(c) the person:
(i) holds a multi crew pilot (aeroplane) licence; and
(ii) satisfies the requirements of paragraphs (1) (a), (b) and (f); and
(iii) satisfies the requirements for the grant of a command endorsement for a multi pilot aeroplane; and
(iv) holds a command (multi engine aeroplane) grade of instrument rating.
(3) For the purposes of subparagraph (2) (b) (iv), a person is not taken to have satisfactorily completed an aeroplane proficiency check unless the operator who employs, or arranges the work of, the person gives CASA written notice that the person has satisfactorily completed the check.
(4) For the purposes of this regulation, an overseas pilot licence is equivalent to an air transport pilot (aeroplane) licence if it authorises the holder of the licence to fly aeroplanes as pilot in command in air transport operations.
(5) CASA must ensure that an air transport pilot (aeroplane) licence issued to a person who is qualified under paragraph (2) (c) and who does not have the aeronautical experience set out in regulation 5.116A is endorsed ‘not valid for single pilot operations other than private operations’.

training wheels
14th Apr 2010, 07:49
Here you go;

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/fcl/download/atpl_guidelines.pdf

Basically, you need to do CPL and ATPL Air Law, IREX and a MECIR flight test.

dxbpilot
15th Apr 2010, 15:05
Thanks alot for the info guys !

Cheers