PDA

View Full Version : Starting the long road...

andrewhpf
9th Apr 2010, 01:04
Hi all,

I'm starting from scratch (looking to do PPL, and then get moving with all the relevant licenses there after), and I need a bit of advice.

I am currently in Australia (my native land), awaiting a visa to go back to the UK to live and work. It means waiting around doing a lot of nothing for up to 3 months here.

I'm looking to start my PPL, but unsure whether I should do it here in Australia, convert it when I get to Europe, and go from there, or wait until I arrive in the UK and start my PPL there (thus eventually completing all licenses in the UK).

I've got a lot of mixed feedback regarding costs for the conversion course, so does anyone know how much it actually costs to convert an Australian PPL to a European one?

I am basically trying to figure out what route would be cheaper, and if there would be any disadvantages to doing my PPL in Oz and then my CPL etc in the UK?

I also have to factor in to the equation that I am 29 at the end of this year, and if I do wait until I arrive in the UK, that's 3 precious months lost.

Any advice?

Ta all.:ok:

paidworker
9th Apr 2010, 01:50
Advice:

Dont pay more than you can afford to lose without sleep up front. Do a few hours of the PPL course where you are and make sure you like flying ( When i did my PPL I was surprised by the number of people who stopped inside their first 10 hours for various reasons including not liking being in a small plane ). Enjoy :ok:

redsnail
9th Apr 2010, 10:05
The PPL is comparatively cheap to change over. It's the rest that is mega painful. Trust me on that one.

One thing to note is that many employers want a European passport versus an Australian one with a Visa. So, for the time being, you may be limited to who you can work for once in the UK.

29 and 3 months is not a problem in the UK. What is at the moment is the lack of jobs for low houred guys. So, you can take your time with getting a EASA CPL etc.

Global Warrior
9th Apr 2010, 10:43
Hi

Good Luck with it all:ok::ok::ok: Just one thing, go and get a CLASS 1 medical before you even spend a penny on training. If you can get a JAA one as well. Without a CLASS 1, forget about an aviation career.

You may also see adverts for "buy a (A320 / B737) type rating and get 300 hours online in actual commercial operations. STAY WELL CLEAR. YOU ARE NOT going to get a job at the end of the course. You will have a S**t load of debt and NO CNANCE of a job. DO NOT BE SUCKERED BY THE ADVERTISING.

All the best

GW

wangus
9th Apr 2010, 10:56
A very honest piece of advice would be to do the PPL, and stop there. I know that's not what you asked, but I wish someone had told me that 6 years ago, or that I had failed Class 1 medical for some reason. The fun factor decreases with advanced training. £6/minute for Multi IR training. Two years on from passing everything and not a single interview. Work on ground in industry. Have paid dues. Have numerous "contacts"........

andrewhpf
10th Apr 2010, 00:57
Thanks all for your replies and advice.

Wangus, I appreciate your honesty. I'm under no illusions about what it would be like to work as a pilot, and I believe I'm prepared for the hard yards.

In any case, I have a bit of cash in reserve from selling my investment property, and although it won't be easy parting with this money, it's a hell of a lot better than going in to debt. Thus, if things don't work out, I'm fortunate enough that I won't have a loan to pay off.

I'll do the PPL and see how I go, and thanks all for the "good lucks"!

wangus
12th Apr 2010, 15:57
Glad you understand my comments as they are meant. My advice on the PPL, then, would be this, WHEREVER you do it. Do NOT put yourself under pressure. Do it at a comfortable pace. It's not a race. It is the FOUNDATION of the rest of your flying hobby/career. Don't race through it, rather try to understand and digest everything you learn. Nod and zip. Worry not about hours to do PPL. Some are apparently "ready" to test at 35 hours, others at 70. I was 60 hours at an RAF club, and any subsequent feedback/comments on proficiency have been excellent. Be ready for test, not racing a deadline. My solo qualifying cross country was nearly as long as my CPL cross country. Covered more instrument flying than 15 hour IMC course itself during PPL. Think strong foundation.. Do not hourbuild with GPS!!!! Wizz wheel, meticulous planning, and fly far from base so you get buttterflys in your stomach. It is the best way to learn navigation, airmanship, problem solving etc. ENJOY the training. At the end of the day, despite all the gloom, we are a LUCKY bunch just to get to a Frozen ATPL.

helimutt
13th Apr 2010, 16:38
£6/minute for Multi IR training:eek:

Wish i'd gone the fixed wing route now! :{

Helicopter Multi IR Training? up to £20/min!

Lew747
13th Apr 2010, 16:45
Helicopter Multi IR Training? up to £20/min!

:ouch::ouch::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:

toeyshear
13th Apr 2010, 20:18
My Advice for what it is worth,

I'm from Aussie also and my other from NZ so was over there with her and did my training in NZ. So I after finishing training with a MEIR/CPL and then did my own thing for a while.

Then I was told by a friend that the UK was hiring and came over coverted to a JAA Frozen ATPL.

Saved a packet by time finished I was debt free by doing that way.

I never intended to end up in the UK

And i started about your age.

GOOD LUCK.