PDA

View Full Version : MEP Training Question For New PPL

Mike Parsons
8th Apr 2010, 11:54
Question regarding MEP training. If having just passed my PPL and only having 10 or so PIC/P1 hours can I start MEP training? (ruling finance out of the question)

I have read the following from LASORS

F3.2 REQUIREMENTS FOR THE ADDITION
OF AN MEP (LAND) CLASS RATING
An applicant for a class rating for a single-pilot MEP
(Land) aeroplane rating must produce evidence of having
completed a minimum of 70 hours as pilot-in-command
of aeroplanes.

Which means I have to have 70 hours before APPLYING FOR THE CLASS RATING (which, i think i'm right in saying is after the skills test (as it states i have to pass the rating within 6 months of the skills test)

Now can I at 10 or so hours PIC get in a twin and log P/UT as a student if there is a suitable instructor sitting beside me? Obviously there is the fact that I would need to keep this training up (if possible) until I get the 70 hours P1 on SEP's.

Duchess_Driver
8th Apr 2010, 12:12
Nothing to stop you....except that

ME aircraft are different in many ways. The usual transition to twins is from something a little more complex than your standard initial trainer. Whilst there is nothing legally to stop what you wish to do, I would strongly recommend that you gain some experience of flying first, then step up to a slightly faster aeroplane, maybe with a VP prop, then add the RG side of things then a faster aeroplane again perhaps then finally to the ME side of flying.

Whats the rush?

Yep, MEP flying is fun - but not usually your 'next step'.

IRRenewal
8th Apr 2010, 12:13
You can indeed start MEP training before you have 70 hours P.1, as long as you have the required hours when you apply for the rating.

However, I think you'll find that some MEP training organisations actually use 70 hours P.1 as an entry requirement for the course. If this is laid down in their approved training manual there might not be a way around that.

Additionally I'd say that thinking about doing twin training with 10 hours P.1 under your belt might be regarded as a little bit overambitious.

Mike Parsons
8th Apr 2010, 12:30
Thanks for the replies, they reinforce what I thought. I completely agree with you regarding MEP training with 10 hours P1 PPL, but I was just thinking about the legalities of the rating.

RodgerF
10th Apr 2010, 20:56
Actually you cannot do the MEP Skill Test until you have 70 hours P.1

IRRenewal
11th Apr 2010, 15:44
RodgerF wrote:

Actually you cannot do the MEP Skill Test until you have 70 hours P.1

RodgerF, can you provide a reference please?

RodgerF
11th Apr 2010, 22:03
IRR,

The requirement is in the Examiners Handbook 2010 Table 6 A page 26.

RF

IRRenewal
12th Apr 2010, 17:50
You're quite right (although it appears on page 28 of the copy I have access to).

Bit strange that this CAA document seems to consider the 'applicant' to be the person applying to take the test, where in other documents the 'applicant' is the person applying for the rating.

In fact, looking into this in JAR-FCL 1 in more detail there seems to be confusion there as well, with 1.260 specifying 70 H P.1 required to apply for a MEP class rating, and other parts of the same documents talking about the applicant for a skill test requiring 70 H P.1 'subject to the requirement in JAR-FCL 1.260', which doesn't deal with minimum requirements to take a test.

I'm glad I've never been asked to examine somebody of this experience level (or lack of experience level) so never had a reason to look into it in too much detail.

RodgerF
16th Apr 2010, 18:22
You are right it is page 28. My HoT spotted this when going through the new edition of the FEH.