PDA

View Full Version : Class One eyesight

Tiger_ Moth
9th Sep 2001, 23:37
Could someone please tell me what the limit for the class 1 medical for eyesight is in the UK ? This is for initial issue, not renewal. Ive heard it is -3 fromm some sources and -5 from others.
If you are contemplating telling me to look on the CAAs website then dont because I already have and it wouldnt tell me.

Thanks

rmenzies
10th Sep 2001, 14:49
I would also like to know this. I have read a previous message thread that supplied interesting info that I never knew before regarding SPH, CYL and the combined total is your diopters total. I wear contacts that have a strength -2.5 in each eye and think I am nearing borderline. However if I go for a class one is my total likely to be greater (as I need to account for CYL also)?

Also, I was going to apply for the BA scheme. I hear that their medical requirements are stricter - is this for eyesight too? I have an old information letter somewhere which lists BA eyesight requirements but it is in the form 6/9 (this is not the figure!). What does this mean? Is there a clear link with the diopters scale (that I half understand!).

Final point - is laser eye surgery permitted - I assume it's not but it would sure help us visually impared folk!

Apologies for this rather convoluted message but I am, as you can probably tell, rather confused about the eyesight issue.

fad_k
10th Sep 2001, 15:05
hey..wats up??
Ok, spoke to Mr Chorley last week who is the optometrist at CAA..asked him with my current eyesight R-4.00, L-4.00, and with stigmatism of L-0.75,R-1.00 if it was worth me coming in for a class 1 medical.. faxed him a copy of my eyesight for the last three years.. having looked at that he said i'm able to sit the class 1 medical..
hope its solved your queries..
cheers

sydneyc
10th Sep 2001, 16:19
Fpr the initial Class 1 the parameters for poor eyesight are linked to age. I think it is -3.0 for <25 and -4.0 for>25.

I may have the actual figures wrong, but I am certain that age plays a part in this. As for BA, I can tell you their eyesight requirements are now the same as those for a CAA Class 1.

Lawyerboy
10th Sep 2001, 18:33
http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/pld/med/med_information.asp?page=/medical/SRG_MED_jaa_class_1_vision.htm

All you need to know is there. Basically, no less than +/- 3.00 but if stable for 3 years or longer or if you are over 25 years old then up to +/- 5.00 is acceptable.

Anyone else going to be coughing and dropping at Gatwick on the 28th of this month, by the way?

Cypres
11th Sep 2001, 14:47
These are the FACTS as per the current implementation of JAR-FCL 3 in the UK (as far as refractive errors applicable to distant vision go)
For INITIAL class one medical
=============================

The current refraction limits are +3 down to –3 Dioptres. (Not +3 to –5).

HOWEVER, if you are OVER 25 OR can show stability of refractive error over the last 3 years the limits are extended to +3 to –5. This is CONDITIONAL on meeting the above criteria. It is misleading to suggest otherwise.

For RENEWAL of a class one medical
==================================

The RENEWAL criteria are slightly different in that the limits are +3 to –5.

The medical sub committee has DISCUSSED these issues and agreed to recommend the change from +3/-5 to +5/–5 for INITIAL class one license issue. The RENEWAL limits being further pushed to +5/-8.
This recommendation has no substance in current day to day license issue and WILL NOT until the period of consultation known as ‘Notice of Proposed Amendment’ has elapsed and the recommendations are formally adopted and more importantly IMPLEMENTED by the member states.

Any member state could still throw a spanner in the works.

The Notice of Proposed Amendment can be a very lengthy bureaucratic process and the estimates coming out of the CAA earlier this year were for take-up and implementation towards the end of this year (If at all).

Clare Blacklock
10th Oct 2001, 18:26
Glad to have found something regarding the proposed eyesight changes on PRRuNe - thought it was my imagination (or the JAA) playing tricks!

I'd appreciate any professional opinions on whether these changes are likely to go ahead, particularly in light of the Sept 11th tragedies and subsequent pilot layoffs?

Also, to put my feeble brain at rest, what does the following prescription total up to (after reading that sph and cyl are added together)?

Right eye = + 4.00 sph and - 0.75 cyl

Left eye = + 4.25 pph and - 1.00 cyl

Would this mean that both eyes are + 3.25 ?

You'd never believe I was doing an engineering degree, eh? Maths - wots that then :confused:

fad_k
11th Oct 2001, 16:04
Hey...

Clara.. what you have there is a stigmatism of -0.75 and -1.00, now because it is a minus you have to ADD it onto to your prescription. Therefore that would leave you with -4.75 in one eye and -5.25 in the other, now unless you can show atleast 3 years of stability on your eyesight then you cannot sit the eyesight.. because the upper limit is -5.00 with yours being -0.25 over, mine was exactly the same -4.00 in each eye with stigmatism of -1.00 in each eye, so I just about got through. Had it on Monday and I passed the eyesight test!
Anyway what you should do is call the CAA on 01293 573700 and ask to speak to Adrian Chorley, he is the optometrist there and very good chap. If you need to ask anything else in regards to the medical mail me on [email protected]

Anyways good luck

Tiger_ Moth
11th Oct 2001, 23:42
I contacted the CAA and have sent them off prescriptions from 3 previous years so they can consider it. However there has been a bit of a change in that time and i dont think my eyesight has levelled out yet.
could they really have it implemented by the end of this year, ie 3 months? or did you mean next year? If so, thats good because it is a pretty dumb rule: if I can fly in a windy Tiger Moth then surely I could cope with a closed cockpit plane, especially as Id have a reserve pair of glasses incase the others blew up or whatever.
As long as they change it within about 4, 5 years it'll probably be ok for me because I wouldnt be able to become a professional pilot until id saved up enough money to pay for it which would take probably something like 10 years from now. At least it'll save me some money now.
I am interested in laser eye surgery but theres no way id have it any time soon because I have heard of some pretty dodgy side effects and in some cases eyesight even being made worse. Apparently it can impair night vision which would be very troublesome for a commercial pilot and you have problems with bright lights etc which is why the RAF dont allow it or something. Its too expensive as well.

Clare Blacklock
12th Oct 2001, 02:47
Hi guys!

Thanks to fad_k and SB for getting back on the eyesight reqs - now I officially know how I'm placed.

Being long sighted, I don't have the option of laser surgery (although I would for an FAA license), but I'm with SB and Tiger Moth on the risks and expense involved anyway.

Looks like I'm still over the proposed limit too then by 0.25 - bummer! Does anyone think its worth giving this Bates method a go as it even looks like I won't make the Class 2 - major bummer!

Also, did anyone see the article in April's "Flyer" (pg 45) on a new procedure called INTACS? This is where a plastic ring is inserted into the cornea to alter the shape - I guess a bit like having a contact lens fitted inside the eye. Apparently there's fewer risks than laser surgery and no interference to the optical pathway. One to consider in the future perhaps?

Thanks again :)

franksnbeans
12th Oct 2001, 09:59
I wear glasses as well (-2.5 [20/180] in both eyes) and got knocked back from the RAAF, but i have a CASA class one medical.

About that different procedure with the rings in your eyes, ive heard of that as well. turns out that it is even possible to change the proscription once they're in! But still, as with laser surgery, my understanding is that it is too experimental to have the precedure done, and my optomitrist was saying that there is an increased risk of infection or something.

Best bet is to sit tight, as your not that far over the limit (can you appeal it?), and it is a stupid restriction, but to a degree. I did a bit of looking around for my appeal to the RAAF, and the US navy guys did some research into very strong perscriptions. Even without LASER surgery, if ur eyesight is really bad (-9 from memory), you can get still haylows around lights when u wear glasses, but I think ur okay. I'm not an expert on this matter, but i hope that ive been of some help.
fnb

crazypilot
13th Oct 2001, 22:48
Hi everyone,

My problem is that although my eyesight has been stable for the last 4 years, it is over the -5 Dioptre limit and I'm not sure what I can do now.

My actual prescription is -5.00 sph AND -1.00 astigmatism giving a total of -6.

What can I do?? I already have a class 2 medical for my PPL, but obviously, I've always wanted to be an airline pilot. I certainly don't want this to let me down.

Any suggestions would be great!

Cheers

CP

Sir_Lurkalot
15th Oct 2001, 17:23
I read a thread in here about a year ago on this subject (which does have something of a habit of cropping up on a regular basis :rolleyes: ) and an interesting pint was made...

It is not necessary for your correct prescription to be within CAA limits, but that you can see adequately when your vision is corrected within those limits.

Example: your presription may by -5.0 with -1.0 of astig (fail), but you may be able to read the correct line on the chart using a prescription of -4.5/-0.5 (pass).

...however, I could be wrong.

Grainger
18th Oct 2001, 17:44
Sorry, Lurks it doesn't work that way.

Last time I was down at Gatwick I was having to ask Adrian did he not have any smaller letters on his charts - but still got denied a Class 1 because the prescription was outside limits... :mad:

Actually had a second pair of glasses made up with 2.75 dioptres correction (i.e. within limits) just to prove the point that I could still read all the teeny weeny letters with these, but still no good because apparently that wasn't my 'true' refractive error :mad: :mad:

[ 18 October 2001: Message edited by: Grainger ]

Sir_Lurkalot
18th Oct 2001, 19:22
Hmm!

Thought is looked like a scam when I saw it :rolleyes:

Still the theory sounded good :D

J Gregg
19th Oct 2001, 00:19
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what the likelyhood of losing a class 1 through eyesight getting worse. I've had mine a while but if I go over the renewal limit (-5.00 at the mo) is that it, game over? I know most people's eyesight deteriorates with age. Do they allow for this? Any suggestions appreciated.

JG

RickPhucked
4th Nov 2001, 15:52
Im currently at -1.50 in both and hope it stays that way, for I wish to take my medical soon, and keep it lol. But if they say no then i've heard that in america the laws are different and you merely need to prove that you can see with glasses 20/20 can anyone clarify this? If so then i will go over there and fly commerically.

madge
8th Nov 2001, 21:07
Don't know if anyone is still reading this, but on the CAA link on one of the previous postings it says that "visual acuity" needs to be within the limits "with or without glasses or contact lenses". Hope that helps!!

jabbadfatt
9th Nov 2001, 12:09
Yes it's true & if you can get a Greencard to go there then do it (I've been tryin for over a year with no luck).

shifatur
9th Nov 2001, 13:17
hello guys
hope all of ya r doing fine.

i am 19, doing my uni. i wear glass :

-0.25 left eye
-0.50 right eye

i am planning to do my ppl next may in south africa. n e one knows the limit for sa class one eye sight??

looking forward to your advise.

Tiger_ Moth
10th Nov 2001, 03:17
Gregg - My instructor gave me the impression that the CAA are very reluctant to take away class 1s once they've been given because it is taking away your livelihood and you can make a serious case of that in a court. If it stays at -5 you should be definetely ok because I know someone who got a class 1 initial issue with -3 which is the borderline. Even if it goes over a little bit it should be ok.

Rick - With -1.5 you should definetely be able to get a class 1

Richie - I dont know what the regulations are in SA but I would expect that you should be well within the limits for a class 1

JuniorPilot
10th Nov 2001, 06:17
Hi there people,
I need to know waht are the requirements to get a CASA class 1 medical certificate? Anyone could please help me???

Thank you

Hornetboy
10th Nov 2001, 10:23
Don't worry mate, in Australia all ya need is 20/20 vision with or without glasses. As my doc said (something like), "You can come in here poking a stick around to guide you and trip on the chair and fall over or whatever, but once you put on your glasses and you've got 6/6 vision, you pass". Of course it's a bit different with the military. But if all you want is a civvie license, just make sure you've got well-fitted glasses/contacts.

RW05
10th Nov 2001, 14:35
At the risk of boring you all silly, can anyone out there help me decode my presciption as it doesn't follow any examples I've seen here? There are boxes marked SPH, CYL, AXIS, PRISM and BASE. SPH is infinity for right eye, +.25 left. CYL is DS for the left. All other boxes are blank, as is INTER. NEAR is +1. I know I don't have much to worry about since I'm well the wrong side of 40 and I don't actually wear the glasses I have, but I'd love to know what it all means.