PDA

View Full Version : Pilots and Seizures?

Flying Clog
31st May 2001, 17:20
I have a good friend who has an FAA CPL/IR and works in Florida as a sight seeing pilot and will soon have an enough experience to apply with the regional airlines and corporate outfits.

She emailed me the other night seeking advice on something that I know nothing at all about so I thought I'd ask you all.

It appears that she has, in the past suffered from seizures. She has had one or two in the past, and almost had one the other week.

How does this affect her medical? Is this the end of her flying career? If she keeps it quiet, will it be discovered in an FAA or company medical, initial or recurrent? What sort of medical tests do they use to test for susceptibility to seizures? What should she do?

Thanks for any advice.

Cloggy...

Pielander
31st May 2001, 19:32
I have been led to believe that a seizure at any point in one's live precludes the possibility of ever being granted any aviation medical certificete. Don't quote me on that, as I can't remember where I heard it.

I don't want to cause any offence or anything, but I think if she "nearly had one last week", then she should not be flying. Covering up something so serious and potentially fatal (and quite easily so) is not only unprofessional, but selfish, and above all reckless. This is not squinting for an eye test we are talking about. The odd little 'white lie' might be acceptable, but this is not.

I would like to add that I do feel for her, as indeed we all dread the day when something goes 'pop' under the bonnet and our flight status is revoked. I just think it would be a great deal worse to continue with a flying career knowing that you were endangering people's lives every day (especially with doing single pilot operations). Unpleasant as it may be, I fear she should at least come clean to the medical examiner, even though it probably will mean the end of her flying career.

Sorry.

Pie. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Pielander (edited 31 May 2001).]

Flying Clog
3rd Jun 2001, 02:52
Anyone else? Any ideas or comments would be appreciated...

Cloggy...

Code Blue
3rd Jun 2001, 16:45
I am afraid she is (or perhaps should be) grounded.

The excerpt below is for a Class 4 medical from CARS:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">4.3 An applicant shall have no medical history or clinical diagnosis likely to interfere with the safe operation of an aircraft as follows:
(a) a convulsive disorder, fits, recurrent fainting, severe head injury, post traumatic syndrome, severe headaches or migraines</font>

I would be surprised if the FAA has anything less. The only faint hope might be if these episodes were associated with pregnancy, then she might be able to appeal.

------------------
-.-- --.- -..-
[email protected]

Tocsin
3rd Jun 2001, 19:37
Cloggy,

There are (or rather may be soon with the National PPL) some exceptions for recreational flying in the UK, but as far as commercial flying goes, seizures are a major "no". Anything since the age of 5 would probably be a disqualifier.

Unlike normal activities (e.g. walking or even driving a car) there is no fail-safe or fail-soft position when flying an aircraft.

Reasonableness test - would you fly as a passenger?

Tocsin.

Flying Clog
3rd Jun 2001, 20:22
Thanks chaps. I guess I'll have to send her an email. Very unfortunate situation, and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.