PDA

View Full Version : Qatar Airways bidding system and pay rise

noise of freedom
7th Apr 2010, 14:50
Hello everyboby,April is just started and I wondered if something in bidding system will change for May as for the pay rise.
Some said that we will get 4 days off in a row...

Some said we will get a pay rise...

My guess,considering the gereal trend here?
NOTHING WILL HAPPEN!!!
Anybody has a different opinion?

nof:=

Fubaliera
7th Apr 2010, 17:26
The only increase I see is in these useless stanbys. I went from average 3 to 6 and during last year only got called twice And that was for stand in sim. I do see a decrease in housing pay.
Also on the 320 we lost ARN and GVA and we got HYD and COK layovers instead. For some reason CPH was deleted from the bidding system I cant imagine why, instructores already have thier choice in layovers. I imagine this will be the same fate for BCN.
The housing 80percent of the time is substandard except for captains and the location seems like the middle of Kandajar. The housing dept is diabolical. Of course all new direct entry A330/777 Capt and F/Os are getting The Holiday villa which is almost at Emirates levels. If you are senior and on the 320, then Kandajar is the place for you.
On the 320 only the instructors are getting protected, with choice of destinations, CCQ to 330, payincrease and a guaranteed block of days off.

noise of freedom
7th Apr 2010, 20:27
Totally agree...the reality is that most of the times the company will jerk us off,

quality of life=zero

career=nearly zero

job security =sub zero

consideration=sub zero

nof:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

wakbaralwaker
8th Apr 2010, 04:26
Time for a reality check guys.....

Big Neon is basically right, confirmed by what an indiscreet senior manager in HR was heard to say recently. There will be no payrise this year and probably not next year either - yes that's right not next year either as long as QR can bring in the numbers of new recruits - not difficult when you see the number of fresh faced wannabees seeking information on QR in these forums.

The now that April is here all will go quiet for a bit and then the rumour will suggest that a possible increase will come in September, then September will come and... you can guess the rest. What's the deal? QR is coming to the end of year one of a three year 'makeover' to show profits and then to launch an IPO (2012+). This time last year our 'CEO' announced that QR would for the first time declare profit at the end of the 2009-10 financial year and that this would be the first of three consecutive years of profit prior to the launch of an IPO. In the meantime the Qatar Government will bring the airline into 100% government ownership.

The reality is that the financial performance is not going according to plan. Costs are still way too high (across the company) and revenues are also too low despite a tentative recovery in volume. The issue is that yields (average ticket price) are still well down and unlikely to recover soon other than on certain key routes - just look at the competition, not just EY/EK etc but the incoming LCCs in the region have really held the yields down on regional routes. All these airlines are more or less hunting the same passengers and there are some great fares out there (good news for the consumer). If you want to go to DXB try SkyDubai - its cheaper than an ID90 and they will treat you nicely.

Anyway there will be no payrise because staff pay is the one area that the finance department is determined to keep a lid on. For ground staff its the same - many are working at salaries below there official grades and the adjustments get blocked every time in HR.

Bidding, expect this to continue to be eroded whilst you will see over and over the CC with 4,5 or even 6 days off in a row. In flight ops they are delighted with the 3 day rule quote "it will force pilots to properly commit to Qatar Airways and to life in Qatar". There is now a mountain of SBY cover every day (mostly useless but makes them look good) and we can all look forward to a new development... our beloved management does not want us to have more than 2 or 3 bidding options each month so that will be implemented very soon.

Happy days :D

JCUERVO
8th Apr 2010, 09:43
Qatar Airways delays low-cost carrier launch ArabianMoney (http://www.arabianmoney.net/business-travel/2010/04/07/qatar-airways-delays-low-cost-carrier-launch/)
Qatar Airways Will Launch Low Cost Airline - GLG News (http://www.glgroup.com/News/Qatar-Airways-Will-Launch-Low-Cost-Airline-47640.html)

Very good post Wak. Seems more like the reality than this "Fantasy" we are all in some way trying to believe in...Heres an article that caught my attention yesterday...IMHO I would seriously doubt that a company that is almost ready to pull the trigger to start a low cost op. of it self would be willing to give ANY sort of raise or new contractual benefit to its pilot group or any other employee group...You guys decide:ugh:...

Tintin
8th Apr 2010, 13:10
Like the problem in Qr is the pay, we should get our priorities check again

loc22550
9th Apr 2010, 08:09
Fubaliera your guess over the bidding system and flight like CPH..are unfortunatly i think....correct!
On the other hand Seniority as you mention correctly has NEVER been seen as a privilege here in QR(no salary increase after 5 years of seniority is just one example :ugh:!).

noise of freedom
9th Apr 2010, 08:51
I learned my lesson here working for Qatar Airways:

THINGS WILL NEVER IMPROVE!

Bad rumors will happen

Good rumors will never happen

the only solution is leaving this place and get a better job...not too difficoult considering the level of satisfaction.

cheers

nof:=:=:=:=

noise of freedom
9th Apr 2010, 12:02
Well..if you fly the bus or any other good type everithing will be better then the Gulf.
Here you will be facing problems you would never expect,like totally lack of consideration torward you,your job and your life.
They will lie to you with no problems.
They will treat you like sh**** like nowhere else.Unfortunatelly I have to admit that all is written here,on pprune,is all true.

The good things?
aircrafts are new and pay is on time.The rest all sh***:eek::eek::eek:

On the other hand if you are jobless is ok for a while.

Cheers

nof

togaluck
11th Apr 2010, 10:24
zerozerouan

If you are seriously thinking about the sandpit, do yourself a favor, join EK or EY. They are not good but they are BY FAR better than the goat (QR).
Any ppruner you ask would agree with me.
There are hundreds (literally) hundreds of applications at EY from QR pilots, and many have left. Just to make it clear, if you come from a civilized region of the world, ANY will suck, but trust me, the only places worst than QR are saudi kuwait and Iraq.
The region sucks in general, but on the upside, pay is relativle good and on time, tax-free, new A/C, low crime, and they won't go bankrupt as soon the west keeps up it's insatiable thirst for oil.

Do yourself a favor, no QR.

togaluck
11th Apr 2010, 10:30
Qatar Airways Will Launch Low Cost Airline - GLG News (http://www.glgroup.com/News/Qatar-Airways-Will-Launch-Low-Cost-Airline-47640.html)

Summary

Qatar Airways will have no alternative but to establish a low cost off-shoot if it wants to ensure that the UAE, Kuwait and Bahrain do not divert leisure traffic away from its small Doha hub.

Analysis

Between the major cities the GCC nations, Doha may rank alongside Dubai and Abu Dhabi as a business center, but its tourist appeal is about as exciting as having to watch paint dry.

The Qatari nation lacks innovation and leisure offerings that the UAE and Bahrain offer and the spate of explosive low cost airline growth led by stalwart Air Arabia will force Qatar Airways into moving into this seemingly crowded arena.

Qatar Airways’ CEO Akbar Al-Baker claims that it’ll only be launched if revenues are hit – to be honest that’s probably happening already and is unlikely to admit that plans for the low cost airline have been slow to emerge into a competitive reality, much to the delight of the existing low cost airlines in the GCC.

The real challenge will not be price, product or even destinations that an eventual Qatar Airways low cost brand would serve – the test would be drawing in traffic to Doha. The UAE already benefits from Air Arabia in Sharjah and FlyDubai in Dubai, but the lure of Doha in its present form ceases to exist. It may work for some transfer traffic, but no amount of “low cost” ops will yield benefits if volumes are not attracted.

And with FlyDubai poised to overtake everyone in the region, the longer Qatar Airways takes to get its low cost airline airborne, the harder it’ll be for them to compete, let alone make it a success.

:ok:
the chief has a plan, he will "curfew" the LCC's, they won't give them evian, pillows or blankets, LCC's are banned from marrying for 5 years after first landing in doha. No more than 3 days off for LCC's.

If only qr had a real ceo...

loc22550
13th Apr 2010, 07:37
Zerozerouan,fine.. you want to move to the gulf..where to..?
If you are rated 320..shouldn't be a problem..Make sure you make the correct choice...
They are plenty of alternative options (IMHO wich even offer you better conditions compared to QR(taking everything into consideration for the long term like annual increase,bonus..)):like EY,AA...

Otherwise plenty of job available in China,South-Korea, Vietnam(commuting contract: 6 weeks 0n 2 weeks off with free ticket to go home),Turkey,Saudi (commuting 6 weeks on 3 weeks off)..

khadinorte
22nd May 2010, 07:58
Hi! I've been reading your posts and It seems that all of you have a very nice knowledge I`d appreciate if someone could help me out a bit. I´m an airline captain (MD80) but things are going down around here, I want a change I thought may be a big corporate that allows me a better flying and I got this offer from Saudia.What do you thing about the country (just for three years), about this change... I´ve heard that some pilots change from EAU to Saudia...May be someone could give me some [email protected]

khadinorte
23rd May 2010, 06:54
I was just looking for some info, never thought I was going to have this kind of welcome.Have a nice live...:confused:

yankee22
23rd May 2010, 07:00
Can someone confirm or deny whether or not Qatar got a payriase recently? I've heard somwhere in the vicinity of 25-30%.

Is this true?

Yank

PIPE RIDER
23rd May 2010, 07:58
HEY Yank if your trying to laugh at QR pilots, your post is right on the dot,,,, no payrise no 4 days off, no FUN......

loc22550
23rd May 2010, 09:55
Yankee22 In QR thinks are very simple: NO increase- NO bonus- NO pension!

yankee22
23rd May 2010, 13:45
Thanks gentleman...

I was just trying to get to the bottom of the rumours I had heard. I wasn't trying to stir the pot my any streach. My apologies if it seemed like that.

Appears as if things aren't any better there. :hmm:

Yank

loc22550
24th May 2010, 07:10
Don't apology Yankee22, every year at the same time same story here ...a lot of crew in QR get lured by rumors coming from ..who knowns... about salary increase...!
The ONLY think you will get here in this Cheap 5 stars airline is a annual increase of ...3%...on the basic only,AND for the first 5 years ONLY in your respective grade! Thats it...:ugh:
Better options exist off course in EK,EY,AA...