PDA

View Full Version : Malaria (haven't got it - don't want it)!

airforcenone
30th May 2001, 22:53
I'm finally going long haul! However, I'm not senior enough to go to the nice places which means that I'm likely to end up in a malarial zone somewhere. Is it worth taking any form of anti-malarial medication?

As far as I know, it generally has to be taken for a few weeks before a trip, during and for a few weeks after. Bearing in mind that I won't know where I'm going from one month to the next, and that you can't take this stuff continuously (or can you?), what do I do? Should I take the risk? I know of one person from my company who recently contracted it downroute.

mad_jock
1st Jun 2001, 11:27
Hi

Very nasty if you get it. But the drugs you take to try and stop it are pretty nasty as well. I have seen people in bed for days because of them. They are also lossing there effectivness as well in some theaters.

The best way to deal with it is always to make sure you have a good net and also take some mossy killer sticks. The coil type from Boots are meant to be pretty good. Light one of them as soon as you get in the room. And if you can stand it have one going during the night as well. The other tricks are long sleeves and trouser after sunset and don't use mossy spray because most attract them then kill em after they bite you which is pointless.

Other methods i have had some success with are a teaspoon of vineger in a glass of water. Why this works i don't know.

And the most pleasant option is to make sure that you always have a female with you after sunset because the mossy's will always go for a woman something to do with hormones and sweet blood?? But it does seem to work.

Failing that drink lots of G & T

MJ

airforcenone
1st Jun 2001, 22:03
Many thanks mad_jock!

I know which option I'd prefer, doesn't happen much though! Failing that, there's always the vinegar option ........

wardr1
4th Jun 2001, 17:29
I'm not sure that this will help but I have been living in Lagos on and off for about 3 years now and I have not needed to take Malaria tablets which I thought was crazy but If you do happen to catch it there is medication you can take to combat it at the time.

airforcenone
4th Jun 2001, 22:55
Thanks for the info. I was particularly concerned that the medication can cause as many problems as the disease.

john_tullamarine
6th Jun 2001, 06:20
pills of choice heading out from Oz seem to be the tetracycline type doxycycline hydrochloride ... neither I nor anyone I know has had any problems with doxy. Many of the expats in Indonesian mining operations use it for reasonably long periods of time.

asianflyer2
6th Jun 2001, 15:05
It can be VERY nasty and there are varieties of malaria around in South East Asia (and maybe elsewhere) that do not respond to regular treatment. Some go for the brain and leave you not too clever.Stopping mosquitos from biting you is the best way - see earlier posts. The London School of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene used to produce some sensible literature on the matter. The preventive treatment to take depends on where you are going and the variety of malaria prevelant.

Malaria carrying mosquitos do not always breed well in urban areas - but dengue fever carrying varieties do - and that can be very nasty and as far as I know there is no cure.

If you start getting fever and chills - off to the doctor quick - even if you THINK it is only the flu'. Local doctors will usually recognise it immediately but many will take a blood test to confirm.

You don't get immune to malaria and it can lie dortmant in the liver and break out one day when you are not feeling too well and back in the UK.

You average GP may not easily recognise it, so unless he was brought up and trained in a malaria area (for many years I had an India GP in the UK who used to recognise most of the nasties I picked up from his early days in Calcutta) - head for the nearest tropical medicine department - or you may end up with endless tests looking for the wrong things.

asianflyer2
6th Jun 2001, 15:09
It can be VERY nasty and there are varieties of malaria around in South East Asia (and maybe elsewhere) that do not respond to regular treatment. Some go for the brain and leave you not too clever.Stopping mosquitos from biting you is the best way - see earlier posts. The London School of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene used to produce some sensible literature on the matter. The preventive treatment to take depends on where you are going and the variety of malaria prevelant.

Malaria carrying mosquitos do not always breed well in urban areas - but dengue fever carrying varieties do - and that can be very nasty and as far as I know there is no cure.

If you start getting fever and chills - off to the doctor quick - even if you THINK it is only the flu'. Local doctors will usually recognise it immediately but many will take a blood test to confirm.

You don't get immune to malaria and it can lie dortmant in the liver and break out one day when you are not feeling too well and back in the UK.

You average GP may not easily recognise it, so unless he was brought up and trained in a malaria area (for many years I had an India GP in the UK who used to recognise most of the nasties I picked up from his early days in Calcutta) - head for the nearest tropical medicine department - or you may end up with endless tests looking for the wrong things.

Stratocaster
7th Jun 2001, 19:24
As far as I know, flight crews are forbidden (company rule) to take any medication against malaria BEFORE they get it because they have a devastating effect on vigilance and "human performances" in the cockpit.

Maybe there are new molecules with less side-effects on the market now, but I'm not sure. I'll try to find some info...

MisNomer
7th Jun 2001, 23:55
Stratocaster
There is a new product on the market, Malarone which was recently launched in the U.K. further details on this are available on an earlier thread, title "Malarone" posted by Chalky on 17th May.

Airforcenone
I am not sure if this would be suitable for you, it can only be taken for a limited period of time.