PDA

View Full Version : well done CAA

A and C
24th May 2001, 20:03
About three weeks back the CAA dropped the comprehensive medical exam requirement from the class 1 medical on the grounds that this JAA requirement was not a flight safety issue.

I would just like to say thank you to the CAA for standing up to the JAA and taking a practical view on this issue.

I just hope that this attitude creeps into some other parts of aviation house and we can look forward to more of the excesses of the JAA being curtailed

[This message has been edited by A and C (edited 24 May 2001).]

lekkerste
24th May 2001, 21:38
What does that mean in practical terms? Was that the blood test or the cholesterol test?

Flintstone
24th May 2001, 21:46
.....and am I entitled to a refund from my last 'cough and drop'?

Blackshirt
24th May 2001, 22:58
Yes, please do elaberate.

......does this mean I paid well over the odds for my Class 1 intial a month ago??!

400 quid is a lot for a wanabee

matspart3
25th May 2001, 21:37
More info please!
I need a CAA Class One for ATCO-ing and a JAA Class Two for flying...what has changed?

Hew Jampton
25th May 2001, 21:43
I think it's just the extended opthalmological test that had to be done at a local optician's, and the extended ENT check. A very good start, however.

Spoonbill
25th May 2001, 22:20
:) Whatever it is long may it continue. At my most recent medical, my AME was going round in circles trying to understand the JAA requirements, and that was only with reference to class 1 validity for someone who is 39 at the time of the medical. Should it be 1 years or 2? JAA had allocated two A4 pages of Eurospeak to the subject, poor old doc' had all his colleagues and nursing staff into read it - still no one could understand it.
On the basis that the JAA probably wont find out, we settled for 2 years, (unless someone out there splits on us. ;)

------------------
It wasn't me.

Island Air
25th May 2001, 22:53
JAR Class 1 is not different to the old CAA class 1, 12 months validity under age 40, 6 months if over 40, for an ATPL holder. Everyone is 12 months on a CPL. If you have been given 2 years on a class 1, that will expire 12 months after the issue date, even if the Doc mistakenly signed it as 24 months. It is you who will be flying illegally, so better get it fixed!

Can anyone confirm that the optitians test has now been dropped?

Thunderbug
26th May 2001, 00:04
BA provided following info to their crews..........

"CHANGES TO JAA MEDICAL EXAMINATIONS FROM 1 JUNE 2001

The UK CAA have announced that, with effect from 1 June 2001, they will be relaxing their interpretation of the JAR FCL 3 Regulations as they relate to the comprehensive medical examinations. The changes apply to JAA renewal medical examinations carried out by UK AMEs.

The principal effect of the changes will be that no pilots will be required to
have an examination carried out by an optician/optometrist and the
additional tests required for the extended eye examination will not be completed, except where the AME feels these are necessary.

In addition, the requirement for the extended ear, nose and throat examination has also been removed, with the form only being used to record the results of the routine audiograms.

The CAA Medical Department do, however, recommend that all pilots over age 50 years (over age 40 years if there is a history of glaucoma in the family, or if spectacles/contact lenses are worn for any purpose) should see an optician for a check-up every two years.

The CAA consider that any certificate issued to a pilot under the new terms remains valid as a JAA certificate."

Just passing on the info. Please check with your AME if you have any further questions.

Docfly
26th May 2001, 01:57
The comprehensive medical exam was an extented Ophthalmological (eyes) and extended Otorhinolaryngeal (nose and throat or snot and gobble) examination which the CAA have recently interpreted as being unneccessary under JAR and will be filing a variation with the JAA in due course.
This was due every 2 or 5 years depending on age and was an extra administrative and time burden which I quite rightly charged more for than a standard medical; this put the basic cost of a Class 1 renewal to more than £200.
This examination is detailed at the top of the bottom right hand box on your medical. If your AME attempts to do this comprehensive exam on your renewal then refer him to the latest CAA newsletter to AMEs. Blood test at every medical for haemoglobin estimation and at age 40yrs for cholesterol are still required.
The initial medical which can only be done by the CAA (unless you are military) is still the £400 job, expensive yes, but then flying is expensive!

Pilot Pete
26th May 2001, 13:43
I just renewed mine last week and the one thing that puzzled me was that I was not required to 'pee on the litmus paper'.

Has this changed or am I imagining that I did it last year?

PP

Pielander
26th May 2001, 21:02
Does anybody know if a lapsed CAA class 1 (1997) can be 'renewed', or am I going to have to go to Gatwick again?

Docfly
27th May 2001, 11:40
You have 5yrs from expiry and the AME must check with Gatwick first to make sure you haven't been grounded for some reason.

Pielander
27th May 2001, 14:34
Cheers Docfly!

I've been trying for ages to get an answer to that one.

:) Pie :)