PDA

View Full Version : PPL Solo Medical

Eagle 1
16th Jul 2001, 23:32
Hello guys/gals,
As I am a few hours away from my 1st solo ( :D )I have been advised to get a medical certificate.All I need to know is what "type" is this certificate?Is it a Class 1 or 2?How much does it cost? and where do I obtain one?
Any information would be great.
Cheers

:) Eagle 1 :)

When I hit the breaks he'll fly right by!

[ 16 July 2001: Message edited by: Eagle 1 ]

Tiger_ Moth
16th Jul 2001, 23:50
Well, a Class 1, which you need if you are going to be a professional pilot , will set you back about £400 (!)
A class 2 is cheaper but I dont know by how much, I guestimate maybe £200-300.

If you are going to progress and become a professional then you might as well get the class 1 but if you're just flying for fun then I think a class 2 is best because if you're under 30 its valid for 60 months whereas a class 1 is only valid for 12 months and you dont want to be wasting money revalidating ( about £100 I think)when it doesnt benefit you.

You can have a class 2 done by any AME ( Approved Medical Examiner) and the CAA will give you a list of these.
For a class one you need to visit an Aeromedical centre (AMC) which is at Gatwick.

Do you need to know anything else?

Eagle 1
18th Jul 2001, 01:54
Cheers Tiger_Moth,
I will have a chat to my FI on my next lesson, Thanks again.

:) Eagle 1 :)

Crepello
18th Jul 2001, 10:12
I researched medical costs recently and found that a first issue JAA Class 2 would leave little change from GBP 400. I understand that re-examinations are a mite cheaper.

Don't know if this is true, but I heard that the eyesight requirements for first issue are more stringent than for renewal, so if you're approaching the borderline it could be worth getting Class 1 sooner rather than later. Of course, you'll then have to renew every six months...

On the other hand, if you do a US PPL, the FAA Class 3 medical will set you back about USD 80...

Don D Cake
18th Jul 2001, 13:23
5 mins research on the CAA's website revealed that Class 2 initial examinations cost between £125 - £150. There is a list of AMEs, some with websites.
http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/pld/med/med_home.asp

Don

Crepello
18th Jul 2001, 15:05
Don's right, I must have been low on coffee when I stated GBP 400. :0 What's a couple of ton between friends? :rolleyes:

I noticed that several AMEs quoted only for the Class 2 renewal, which increased considerably - in some cases topping GBP 200 - when the first-issue supplements were taken into account. Caveat emptor...