PDA

View Full Version : FoF and upcoming flight(s)

rgbrock1
5th Apr 2010, 19:50
Howdy all,

I'm one of those illustrious passengers who sits during a flight with his seat belt fastened snug enough to cause his face to turn red.
I'm one of those passengers who refuses to visit the "rest room" because in doing so said seat belt would have to be unfastened. (Thus giving me that orange glow after having had to relieve myself about 3 hours ago.)
I'm one of those passengers who asks the cabin crew for a couple of bottles of red wine. Even at 07:00 in the a.m. (Not that I normally drink red wine at such an ungodly hour)
I'm one of those passengers whose knuckles remain white for about 3 days after the flight has landed.
And I'm one of those passengers who refuses to don his iPod. Not that I would mind donning my iPod. But in doing so I could not also keep relentless overwatch duty on the sound of the engines.

So with all this in mind the last couple of nights has me lying awake, Sleepless in Seattle-like, as I contemplate the Mrs. and my upcoming "sojourn" this coming Saturday.
We'll be flying from BDL (Bradley airport in Hartford, CT)
to STT (St. Thomas USVI) via Puerto Rico, aboard an American Airlines B 737-800. (Most of the way, anyway. From Puerto Rico to St. Thomas we will "fly" aboard an ATR-72. Gulp.) :eek::eek::eek:

To date, I probably have close to 1/2 million air miles under my belt. Yet, the more I fly the worse it gets for me. (Squeak, squeak.) Is it rational? Nope. But it is Fer Real!
(Or surreal, take yer pick)

Anyone care to assuage my worried, and feeble, mind?
(Suggestions concerning the accompaniment of a parachute are NOT welcome.)

Scardy cat.... Out. :eek::eek::eek:

west lakes
5th Apr 2010, 19:54
From the FAQs at the top

http://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight/349752-nervous-flyer-thread.html

rgbrock1
5th Apr 2010, 20:25
Thanks for the link West Lakes. I appreciate it. After reading most of it now, I already feel a bit better. Some good stuff in there.

Thanks again.

PAXboy
5th Apr 2010, 23:27
I know that phobias are all too real. There is one that occasionally gets me unexpectedly and it can occur in any place (work, street or plane) and the sense of unease is VERY real.

Aircraft have soooo many sounds and the sounds are often unique to them, which makes it uncomfortable when you hear a new noise for the first time. The 738 sounds much like any other small jet transport but the ATR, you say that you have many miles behind you but, on twin turbo-props? They have distinct noises and the biggest difference is sheer VOLUME of noise, which can surprise folks.

rgbrock1
6th Apr 2010, 12:25
Paxboy:

I may have many air miles behind me but none of them have ever been aboard a turboprop. Should be interesting but the only saving grace out of the flight between San Juan, PR and St. Thomas will be the fact that said flight will be rather short: approx. 30 minutes.

I'll be on the look out for unique - to the aircraft - noise(s)!!!

Mr Optimistic
6th Apr 2010, 12:35
Turboprops are fine but a bit lower, slower and noiser/more vibration. I agree on the ipod thing: wouldn't want the wings to come off either. I was also tending to get more anxious with the number of flights for absolutely no good reason. Figured out it wasn't death that was the issue, it was the fear of being frightened (eg stuck in an hours worth of turbulence - what the crew here tend to call 'mild'). Now I just think s*d it and don't worry anywhere near as much. And yes, red wine in quantity does help.

Mr Optimistic
6th Apr 2010, 12:37
30 minutes, is that all ! It will be straight up and down. Watch for the jolt as you cross over the coast.

Piltdown Man
6th Apr 2010, 15:47
Or you could look at things from a pilot's perspective. We sit in our planes, flight after flight, day after day, year after year. And I'll continue doing so for the next few years or so. I'm not even slightly worried about the flying. The thing will fly with only one engine and rough weather merely causes a bit of discomfort. Both me and my family feel certain that I'll be around to collect my pension, as log as my wife never finds out that I'm worth more dead than alive. What really worries me is letting my kids loose on the roads on their bicycles on that Bloke Brown winning the forthcoming election.

PM

Load Toad
6th Apr 2010, 15:55
Xanax, booze and you'll be pretty much not bothered.
Sit by the window, put some music on, enjoy the view.