PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognise these guys?

Lightning Mate
5th Apr 2010, 14:38
Who are these guys?.

Linton-on-Ouse 1976.

I'm the one drinking from a certain coveted cup.

I'm sure many of you will recognise the Flight Lieutenant behind my right elbow.........

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/Lightning_29/Trophy.jpg

WASALOADIE
5th Apr 2010, 14:46
The guy on the far right looks like a very young version of an old Sixty Sqn boss of mine of the Wessex era. D*** F*****
pm me if you want his full name.

Lightning Mate
5th Apr 2010, 14:51
Hi mate.

Dunno. I'm so old now I have forgotten.

The cup is the Wright Jubilee.

PM me please.

Lightning Mate
5th Apr 2010, 15:02
Ok then:

Third from left John Rigby (deceased)
Fourth from left Russ Morley
Fifth from left Chaz Gilchrist
Sixth from left Eddie Danks (ex Gemini)
Seventh from left....WTFO? (CAS ?????)
Third from right Dick Schuster.

:confused:

Background Noise
5th Apr 2010, 15:39
Below your right elbow - Brian Burridge?

Is that David Thomas on the left with a drink? How about Brian Casey on right with glass?

Dengue_Dude
5th Apr 2010, 15:45
Third from the right looks like Garth Bennett, but I'm sure he was on Hercs at that time?

Is this a QFI pass out or something?

farefield
5th Apr 2010, 15:58
Badger Brooks far right? Stature is certainly correct.:ok:

Yellow Sun
5th Apr 2010, 16:11
Mike Marsden on the front right with a drink?

YS

Art Field
5th Apr 2010, 16:37
The guy on the left is Micky Hayden and it is definitely Badger Brooks on the right

Lightning Mate
5th Apr 2010, 16:38
Weeeeyyyyyyyy Guys.

You are all so very kind and have better memories than I.

Please please PM with whom you all are!

Is this a QFI pass out or something?

No. It's celebrating the award of the Wright Jubilee Aerobatic Trophy.

Third from the right looks like Garth Bennett, but I'm sure he was on Hercs at that time?

'tis after all. Thanks mate.

Neptunus Rex
5th Apr 2010, 16:41
G'Day Duk!
Wright Jubilee Trophy! Well done Sir!
Names pretty well all correct. Badger was a little slimmer then (as were we all, pre Sam Smith) Badger was with me when we had a double inverter fire going into Warton. BAe gave us a new jet!
Russ Morley: "We need more good instructors, not more good blokes!"
Garth had a flame-out taking off from Church Fenton (RLG) and performed a magnificent turnback, with a strong landing tailwind and no barrier!
All in all, a great bunch of QFIs!

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/headphones3.gifhttp://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/headphones3.gif

Lightning Mate
5th Apr 2010, 16:49
Oi Rex,

My name doesn't have a "c" in it.

Send PM from tropical beach over...................

Sleeping
5th Apr 2010, 16:53
Guy on your left is (the then Gp Capt Staish) Ray Bannard - nice shiney shoes!

Lightning Mate
5th Apr 2010, 16:57
Ah so Sleeping.

The thot plickens. Many many thanks.

Lightning Mate
5th Apr 2010, 17:04
You guys are tremendous. So far it's thank you and hello to:

WASALOADIE
Background Noise
Dengue Dude
farefield
Yellow Sun
Art Field
Neptune Rex
Sleeping

Duk

Neptunus Rex
5th Apr 2010, 17:42
Oi Duk!

Edited - mea culpa!
PM tomorrow. Slange!

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/juul.gifhttp://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/juul.gif

Lightning Mate
5th Apr 2010, 17:48
Slange

I've poured one too.....

Yellow Sun
5th Apr 2010, 20:43
Russ Morley, Chas Gilchrist, Eddie Danks and Brian Burrage are cert idents. I bow to the other opinion that the one on the right front is not Mike Marsden. Not sure about the id of Dick Shuster though. I was on the same CFS course as Dick but unfortunately cannot access the course photo as it's packed away for impending house move.

YS

Background Noise
5th Apr 2010, 21:10
LM - now I see! I didn't realise you were so tall. 1985, you OCU staff - me stude.

spekesoftly
5th Apr 2010, 21:53
Extreme left, John Halstead? (D Flight 2 Sqn)

BEagle
5th Apr 2010, 22:35
Is 7th from left (behind Eddie Danks' left shoulder) 'Mac' McGregor who became CFI at Valley in early 1980?

All I can see of the Flt Lt behind your right elbow is part of a RAFC badge and his boots!

spekesoftly
6th Apr 2010, 09:13
Is that David Thomas on the left with a drink?

Dave's time at Linton was earlier than '76. (late 60s early 70s)

Garth arrived at Linton after a tour on Strikemasters in the Gulf.

Lightning Mate
6th Apr 2010, 09:19
I don't remember Dave Thomas during my time at Linton.

Third from the right is indeed Garth.

Background Noise

LM - now I see! I didn't realise you were so tall. 1985, you OCU staff - me stude.

We must have flown together at some point then.

spekesoftly
6th Apr 2010, 09:23
But you surely remember John Halstead, is that him far left?

The Real Slim Shady
6th Apr 2010, 09:24
Is the guy behind Duk's left shoulder, face partly obscured by the staish's glass, Andy Evans ?

Lightning Mate
6th Apr 2010, 10:00
spekesoftly,

I sure do remember John Halstead, but I'm not sure it's him in the pic.

RSS,

Not sure about Andy Evans either.

Thank you both for your responses/interest. If the thread lasts long enough, we might just get everyone.

Audax
6th Apr 2010, 14:39
From the left

Dave Oakley
Mike Haydn
John Rigby
Russ Morley
Charlie Gilchrist
Eddie Danks
Brian Burridge
Duk Webb
Ken Jones
Garth Bennet
Ray Banard
Badger Brooks

Not absolutely certain about Dave Oakley but pretty sure it's not John Halstead

Dengue_Dude
6th Apr 2010, 16:43
Garth,

Yep, I had forgotten about the Strikemaster tour. I worked with Garth on 242 OCU, then later on the Trimotor.

2 TWU
6th Apr 2010, 16:49
Reckon you're right Audax, that is Dave Oakley on the left. Mind you, I can understand your hesitation, it was a rare sighting of Soakley without a pint in one hand and a roll up in the other;that said, even Soakley wouldn't drink and smoke on the line---or would he?

spekesoftly
6th Apr 2010, 23:10
Dave Oakley - bachelor pad in Wiggington? Large Kawasaki motorbike? Went Harriers after Linton?
Or is my memory playing tricks!

Lightning Mate
7th Apr 2010, 09:26
Dave Oakley - bachelor pad in Wiggington? Large Kawasaki motorbike? Went Harriers after Linton?
Or is my memory playing tricks!

Hi ss.

Your memory isn't playing tricks. If I remember it was a green Kawasaki Z900. I went to work on it one day with him - frightened the **** out of me I can tell you!

As for roll-ups, we both used to do that. Ever hear the (true) story about him and I hand-rolling in a JP - inverted. Now there's another story! :\

As for drinking on the line, yes - and it was yer proper champers an' all. Probably would'nt get away with that these days - bad PR and all that.....

Canadian Break
7th Apr 2010, 21:23
Soaks

Introduced me to "Schoolies" and martini's (by the pint!) at Gutersloh circa 1980. Didn't he have a mid-air over Peterbrough in the mid - late 80's - T2 + GR3? Moggie, Spag, Soaks et al, all far too much for a young (ish) Fg Off to cope with!:yuk:

Mach2
8th Apr 2010, 16:03
Not in the photo, but was at Linton at the time, remember the occasion and recognise all the faces! Happy days;)

Lightning Mate
9th Apr 2010, 11:14
Thank you all for great responses. :):)

2 TWU
9th Apr 2010, 15:42
2 Sqn at Linton was pretty good in the mid 70s, all (well, mostly all) of the QFIs were good and seemed to take time and trouble to get the message over. In addition, they were generally characters in their own right who were happy with what they were doing:ok:

Belgique
10th Apr 2010, 01:46
Badger Brooks = Mike Brooks (right?)

Jags and Nimrods? Thespian. died of cancer (Saudi) circa 1999?

Famed dining-in night explosives man (sinking of the Belgrano etc)

Specaircrew
10th Apr 2010, 11:33
A few familiar faces there from my student days at Linton on 37Cse in '74/'75. Russ Morley was my QFI and I think I flew with Duk a couple of times too. I was given an excellent introduction to all aspects of life as an RAF pilot, mostly through instruction in the Bar! Mind you I've managed to keep flying right up to my retirement without killing myself so they must have been pretty good QFIs too!

Lightning Mate
10th Apr 2010, 12:51
Many thanks for your contribution Specaircrew.

Linton was indeed a happy place in those days. Take a bucketful of QFIs from different backgrounds and aircraft types and throw them all together into a big melting pot!

The crewrooms/bar banter was something very special. Those of us who were ex-fighters loved being outnumbered.

Before I was married, the best occasions were the graduation balls.
Lots of "May I introduce my sister". :E

Somewhere out there is a student of mine who came to my room whilst I was "entertaining" - and guess who hadn't locked his door?:\

We had an Air Force then, in more ways than one.

At my wedding ceremony at Leuchars late '75, we were treated to a fourball JP flypast courtesy of the mates who had flown up from Linton for the occasion. Would that be authorised and happen these days?

Il Duce. :)

Specaircrew
11th Apr 2010, 12:43
My sister really enjoyed my Grad Ball, she managed to avoid the 'sharking' QFIs and ended up getting engaged to one the guys on 38 Cse!! Fortunately she saw sense before the wedding and a few years later ended up marrying a USAF C130 pilot and now lives in the States. Crewroom banter isn't what it was but I was obviously taught well as the Staish once commented on my F1369 that I had a 'propensity for badinage'!

McDuff
11th Apr 2010, 13:14
Thanks for that photo, Duk.

I was on 12 course at Linton, starting in Apr 76, but I must confess that I don't remember you until Brüggen, sitting around in the Q hut arguing about what sort of lines we were on: retaliatory or pre-emptive.

I last saw you on a Tech course at Bournemouth. Luckily I didn't complete the ATPL so save myself from the boredom of driving a taxi ... :-)

I flew with Russ, Chaz, Badger (sorry to hear about his death), Dave and Eddie. It was fun; flying training doesn't have the same fun content now ...

Chris

2 TWU
11th Apr 2010, 14:03
Belgique, could well be wrong but reasonably sure that Badger came to Linton from the Victor. I think he left to go to the Jag but was not too happy about it and I did hear that eventually he went elsewhere. If it was the same person, sad to hear of his passing.

Peter Carter
11th Apr 2010, 18:56
"I was on 12 course at Linton, starting in Apr 76,.."

So how could I be on 11 cse at Linton in 1970? Have I got the number wrong?

Specaircrew
11th Apr 2010, 19:53
The last 'old' style course was 38 Cse in '74, after that they renumbered.

NRU74
11th Apr 2010, 20:09
The Badger Brook[e]s in the photo in the first post, and who was at some stage on Victor Tankers, was certainly alive and well last year as I spoke to him at a mate's funeral in Salisbury last Autumn.

McDuff
13th Apr 2010, 07:38
So, rumours of Badger's demise have been exaggerated? :-) Hurrah!

In which case, since I would not be speaking ill of the dead, I can say that he was a bit sketchy on aeros when he was teaching me. Going upside down seems to have been one of his least favourite pastimes ...

... unless it was my poor flying, of course.

Lightning Mate
13th Apr 2010, 09:45
Going upside down seems to have been one of his least favourite pastimes ...

Not in the bar though........