PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Single Engine Acft Prang - Brooker Hwy Hobart

The Chaser
4th Apr 2010, 01:21
Plane crash lands on busy Hobart road - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/04/04/2863802.htm?site=idx-tas)

A light plane has crash landed on one of Hobart's busiest roads.
The plane came down on a section of the Brooker Highway linking central Hobart to the northern suburbs.

Police say no-one has been injured.

It's understood the pilot freed himself from the wreck and began re-directing traffic.

An onlooker Brad Almond says the scene is a mess.

"I'm currently looking at a single propeller light aircraft that has crashed on to the Brooker Highway. There is debris spread about 100 metres either side of the aircraft on the road. A wing has been sheared off." :eek:

startingout
4th Apr 2010, 02:10
The Mercury has a photo
http://www.themercury.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2010/04/04/crash-wide.jpg
Plane crashes on Brooker Hwy Today's News - The Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania (http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/04/04/137971_todays-news.html)

Damien1989
4th Apr 2010, 02:14
Victa Airtourer from the local aeroclub. Good to see know one hurt.

Edit: ah startingout got in just before me.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
4th Apr 2010, 02:19
Was this on the wrong side of the road or do we think it spun around? (Don't worry I'm always right of centreline.)

Looks like a crash made survivable so kudos to the pilot for that part anyway.

FRQ CB

PLovett
4th Apr 2010, 02:35
Suspected engine failure - pilot landed in the traffic direction - appears to have hit the left wing into the bank spinning the aircraft around.

Pilot shaken but unhurt. Good effort on his part. :ok:

PrecisionBass
4th Apr 2010, 03:24
Anyone know what happened?? Looks a bit worse for wear on the Hwy?

http://www.themercury.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2010/04/04/crash-wide-new.jpg

havick
4th Apr 2010, 03:45
you sure that it's a raaf trainee? The CT4 training base is in Tamworth, not Hobart.

The aircraft doesn't even have the BAE systemes paint scheme, instead a PC9 look-a-like paint scheme.

PLovett
4th Apr 2010, 03:47
Try looking at the next forum, not the reporting points one.

Arm out the window
4th Apr 2010, 04:53
Not RAAF or CT-4, it's a Victa Airtourer of some sort.

The CT4B does have a 2-bladed prop, but constant speed.

wombat_keeper
4th Apr 2010, 05:42
Its a VICTA AIRTOURER 115/A1
first rego in australia 22 july 1965
registered operator AS OF 18 NOV 2006 AERO CLUB OF SOUTHERN TASMANIA
anyone else on this site actually fly planes ? lol !!

Pinky the pilot
4th Apr 2010, 06:03
Just noted on the Ninemsn site;

News Limited reported that the pilot was 18-year-old Patrick Humphrey, a trainee pilot with the Australian Airforce who was practising aerobatics when his plane's engine stalled

and,
Mr Karydis said the plane had already crashed when he arrived at the scene, and he saw the driver get out and run.

Journos; Don't you just love them?:rolleyes:

Flying Binghi
4th Apr 2010, 06:07
I hear through the grape vine that the prang were caused by the thermo-plating letting go in the degauzer control. As we all know, its a fairly common problem with them Victa's.

desert goat
4th Apr 2010, 07:11
I think you're onto something there Binghi- Lycoming engine, same as the engine in the Warrior at moorabbin the other day.....I guess the same thermo-plating in each case???:eek:

Aeroo
4th Apr 2010, 07:14
Patrick's a good kid. Glad to see he's ok!

Wally Mk2
4th Apr 2010, 08:22
Ch7 Melb news had eye witnesses saying he "circled for a long time", interesting wouldn't have been 'long' enough for the hapless pilot:). Senior Police apparently where not happy with the pilot landing on the hwy preferring him to land somewhere else like an oval just down the road! Very poor comments from someone whom should know better!
If you had to crash I guess something as light & robust as the old Aussie pop riveted Victa would be one of the best to do it in:ok:

Wmk2

VH-XXX
4th Apr 2010, 08:27
Boss of the local police was just on the TV suggesting that the pilot made a poor choice of landing area as there were hockey fields and other landing areas nearby. Whilst I'd normally suggest that the cop has no idea I'm kinda thinking he's not far off the mark with this one. For me a road would be the last place I'd go for as apparently he had a long glide time and had options available.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
4th Apr 2010, 08:29
MTC....Its had a 'good history'......

I trained two guys on it at Yalleen Station, near Pannawonica WA, in 1970....

I handed it back in one piece.....

T'was a 'bit underpowered' though, in the heat of the Pilbara.... :ok::ok:

I wonder if its gunna eventually fly agin..??

HarleyD
4th Apr 2010, 08:36
Airtourer.....Glide....??....!!..??

They were not called the "concrete sparrow" for nothing, as opposed to the "plastic parrot" CT4.

I believe that a bad L/D makes glide approach easy as whatever you are looking at out the front in your 45 degree descent is where you are going, no ifs and buts. no matter about other choices of landing site, he done good to walk (run) away, that's all that counts. the moment the engine stops the insurance company now owns the plane, just look after your self, as this young guy did, well done mate, hope it's your last real one.

HD

PLovett
4th Apr 2010, 10:18
The ovals and hockey grounds were not an option. There are goal posts and light standards around them as well as very limiting approaches which include blocks of flats, grandstands, trees and the Hobart Domain, a fairly substantial piece of real estate that could really mess up your day.

The police officer concerned was very tired having attended a two car collision involving 8 people and was still on duty. He also had to wait for a forensic officer to get to the site to photograph it. This may have contributed to his shortness.

The pilot did an excellent job in putting it on the ground in one piece and if it hadn't been the Victa's inability to take a bend in the highway it might still be in one piece. The port wing just caught a tree and slewed the aircraft left where the wing then caught a lamp post throwing the aircraft onto the footpath and damaging the undercarriage.

The "running" away was to try and warn oncoming traffic that there was an unusual hazard on the road. He certainly did not run away from the scene. As to circling for some time I suggest this was probably before the problem occurred requiring an emergency landing. Victa's don't glide well.

Incidentally, the aircraft had been fitted with a 150 hp motor and I doubt that it will fly again unless someone wants a project.

PrecisionBass
4th Apr 2010, 10:36
To answer your question Wombat Keeper, yes! We do fly aeroplanes, f****n big ones! Glad the young fella not only walked away but had the sense to prevent a road accident as well. I'm sure he'll do well once he's in charge of one of our new birds some dark stormy night when you're at home in bed cuddling the missus.

Peter Fanelli
4th Apr 2010, 12:49
Whilst I'd normally suggest that the cop has no idea I'm kinda thinking he's not far off the mark with this one. For me a road would be the last place I'd go for as apparently he had a long glide time and had options available.

But you weren't in the cockpit with your hand on the yoke, ummm stick, that thing in the middle.

smiling monkey
4th Apr 2010, 13:56
I'm not making any judgement on the pilot's decision to land on the highway, but here's a map of the area showing the proximity to fields close by. A news article says it crash landed near Cleary Gates and the photo above shows the turn off to Park St so this should give an idea of where the forced landing area is located.

Google Map of the area. (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Brooker+Hwy+Hobart&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=48.685338,67.148437&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Brooker+Hwy,+Hobart+Tasmania+7000&t=h&ll=-42.863635,147.317412&spn=0.009169,0.022724&z=16)

ZEEBEE
4th Apr 2010, 14:33
Whilst I'd normally suggest that the cop has no idea I'm kinda thinking he's not far off the mark with this one. For me a road would be the last place I'd go for as apparently he had a long glide time and had options available.

There is NO such thing in a Victa as a "long glide time" .

From my recollection of having flown the 100HP one, I always thought they should have put some plexi-glass in the floor so you could judge the aiming point better . The 150Hp one might only glide a tiny bit better due to slightly extra weight.

He did pretty good under the circumstances. I certainly wouldn't like the chances he was presented with :eek:
While one could say that he should have been high enough to be able to glide to safety in the event of an engine failure, I would contend that for most places around Hobart, a Victa's service ceiling isn't high enough to ensure that.

Goat Whisperer
4th Apr 2010, 16:57
and no-one else is pointing out that this is the same Victa that was landed on a beach a couple of months ago... quite the history this one...

tinpis
4th Apr 2010, 20:38
Strong little buggers aren't they?

triadic
4th Apr 2010, 21:04
Ghost W said....
and no-one else is pointing out that this is the same Victa that was landed on a beach a couple of months ago... quite the history this one...

Comments withdrawn - incorrect source.

PLovett
4th Apr 2010, 22:06
triadic, this was the same aircraft but the previous incident where the aircraft was landed on a beach was not engine related. The one yesterday was.

tinpis, yep they sure are tough little buggers.

The wing was torn off quite close to the cockpit but there is no obvious damage to the fuselage apart from scrapes although may be some where the spar runs through under the cockpit. There was no rippling down the sides of the fuselage and the canopy still slid easily on the tracks.

For those of you who looked at the Google Map, you need to slide it northwards until you can see the quarter cloverleaf flyover on the Brooker Highway. The site was just to the south (or to the bottom of the frame) of that intersection.

For those who think that the site labelled Cornelian Bay Sports Ground would be the best option, there are tall trees on the approach from over the water and power lines; the Brooker Highway is built on an earth embankment on the far side with light posts on both sides; the site marked Stainforth Court is public housing flats and is built on higher ground; the Cornelian Bay cemetery is built on high ground. The other sports fields there are not an option and the hockey grounds are surrounded by lamp standards for playing night games.

A very experienced Victa pilot may have been able to get down on the Cornelian Bay Sports Ground but would need to have been absolutely exact with their flying. The option chosen by the pilot yesterday was, in my opinion better given all the circumstances.

Arm out the window
4th Apr 2010, 22:06
The TV news keeps saying he's a RAAF trainee - obviously not a RAAF aircraft, so is he AirTC, a RAAFie doing some weekend flying in a VH aircraft or is it just the great journalism we know and love wrt flying stories?

Damien1989
4th Apr 2010, 23:57
According to news reports he was "recently accepted into the RAAF" and was home for the Easter break. Flying over the Hobart CBD a few weeks ago I was looking around at places to make a forced landing, obviously there are very few options available. One of the best places in my opinion is the area of grass around the Hobart Cenotaph, though that might not have been reachable. It's hard to say whether he took the best option or not as know one knows what his actual height or position was when the engine failed. All's well that ends well.

AEROWASP
5th Apr 2010, 00:29
A bloody good effort in a machine that is not famous for its outstanding glide performance. 10 out of 10!:ok:

scavenger
5th Apr 2010, 02:54
The 150Hp one might only glide a tiny bit better due to slightly extra weight.

Not unless they changed the wing - it would simply go down the same angle but faster.:}

Bit like Max Power...there are three ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power way.

Isn't that the wrong way?

Yeah, but faster.:D

What-ho Squiffy!
5th Apr 2010, 03:17
Trainee pilot crashes on busy highway | The Australian (http://bit.ly/ammSqZ)

Read what Graeme of Tara reckons should happen to young Patrick. I predict Graeme will turn out to be either retired CASA or RAAF navigator.

Wanchor.

ZEEBEE
5th Apr 2010, 03:42
Not unless they changed the wing - it would simply go down the same angle but faster.

You're correct Scavenger but only in zero wind.

However, the fractionally different speed may have served better into a head wind. (yes, academic I know, but it WAS a throw away line:}).

Looking at the aircraft and his options, I think it was a terrific job.
have done 13 forced landings now, (not counting about the three thousand+ in gliders) and none were anywhere near that challenging.

And yes the Victa is a tough old bird :ok:

What-ho Squiffy!
5th Apr 2010, 03:56
"have done 13 forced landings now..."

Ever thought of changing the plugs?

Jamair
5th Apr 2010, 03:57
From The Australian site previously mentioned:
Graeme Henderson of Tara Posted at 10:13 AM Today

Luck is not worthy of praise. There were alternative tight landing sites that did not involve risking innocent lives, a half decent pilot would not have wasted time and height circling once the engine failed. There was also the water. Also, conducting aerobatics in a place with no available good landing area around it is arrogant and dangerous, he was showing off and not displaying good airmanship at all. In the process he destroyed a beautiful little Victor. Not a hero at all, just lucky to get out unhurt. Take his wings off him.

It was a VICTA, not a Victor; there has been nothing stated that he was performing aerobatics over the city; it has not been stated WHEN the engine failed and if the circling was before or after said failure. Why so keen to saddle up the tumbril and prepare Madame Guilotine? Perhaps we could await some FACTS from the people who will be investigating the incident, and in the meantime celebrate that the guy survived and no-one was hurt - unlike the ultralite crash on the same day that claimed a life:sad:.

Captain Kellogs
5th Apr 2010, 03:59
In the heat of the moment I think the kid did a great job.

to one side there were wooded areas, so no point landing there and as for the fields on the other side, how long are they exactly and how can you be sure you have enough room to stop, also were there any people on the fields?

for an inexperienced pilot he is obviously going to aim for something that resembles a runway as close as possible, a long straight bitumen road looks similar to a runway so he knows he is going to have enough room to stop. Guess what, it was a text book forced landing, he walked away and no one was hurt which is exactly what the aim of a forced landing is to achieve

The Cop should be ridiculed for making comments on a matter he has no experience in.

Good work to the young pilot.

PLovett
5th Apr 2010, 04:01
Graeme of Tara is basing his opinions on a seriously flawed report. Any opinion on what will happen to the pilot based on that opinion will be even more seriously flawed.

I suspect that the RAAF now has a very good idea of how this young man reacts under extreme pressure and will take that into account when deciding where he should be placed.

What-ho Squiffy!
5th Apr 2010, 04:13
"I suspect that the RAAF now has a very good idea of how this young man reacts under extreme pressure and will take that into account when deciding where he should be placed."

Indeed - they'll send him off to VIP.

scavenger
5th Apr 2010, 04:55
for an inexperienced pilot he is obviously going to aim for something that resembles a runway as close as possible, a long straight bitumen road looks similar to a runway so he knows he is going to have enough room to stop.

I agree but i think too much emphasis is put on strip length and not enough on landing under control without hitting something airborne.

The ovals and hockey grounds were not an option. There are goal posts and light standards around them as well as very limiting approaches which include blocks of flats, grandstands, trees and the Hobart Domain, a fairly substantial piece of real estate that could really mess up your day.

This is by far the greatest concern. Much better to ht the fence at the end of the strip on the ground doing 20, 30, 40kts that to collide with anything while airborne at flying speed.

The objective of a forced landing is to ensure the safest outcome. If the aeroplane is damaged when it didn't have to be then the forced landing could've been better (less risky) even if there was no-one hurt.

I'm not saying this was the case here, though, its hard to comment on the merits of the action taken without knowing the full circumstances. Looks like the pilot put in place the procedures he was taught, hit nothing while airborne, landed under control and directed traffic once on the ground:ok: and deserves credit for doing so.

However, the fractionally different speed may have served better into a head wind. (yes, academic I know, but it WAS a throw away line).

Very clever but only a short period of time would be spent gliding into wind. Most of the time would be spent at the faster speed downwind, which presents a disadvantage or across the wind, no change.

I really only commented so i could get the Homer quote in, one of my favourites...;)

ZEEBEE
5th Apr 2010, 06:26
"have done 13 forced landings now..."

Ever thought of changing the plugs?

Hey, I never thought of that ! Thanks WhatHo:}:ok:

Actually on a couple of them, the plugs disappeared along with the cylinder head, (Gipsy major) so they got changed then.

Fark'n'ell
5th Apr 2010, 08:25
FB,
I hear through the grape vine that the prang were caused by the thermo-plating letting go in the degauzer control. As we all know, its a fairly common problem with them Victa's.

It may have been the hydrochloric fossillizer:ok:

spirax
5th Apr 2010, 10:09
PLovett
triadic, this was the same aircraft but the previous incident where the aircraft was landed on a beach was not engine related. The one yesterday was.

Sorry Lovett, but triadic is correct (unless there were 2 beach landings recently?). The landing on the beach was another aircraft, ie: not MTC. That beach landing was related to a health issue of the pilot who sadly died after making the successful landing.

In order to be correct, the aircraft type is an "Airtourer" whilst Victa was the manufacturer of the 168 built in Oz and AESL was the manufacturer of the 79 built in NZ. Not incorrect, but a bit like calling all Cherokee's a Piper!

The late Dr Henry Millicer who designed the aircraft, once presented a paper called "Design for survival" in which he highlighted a number of design features in the Airtourer which would increase the chance of survival in a survivable accident. Over the years, he has been proved to be correct. Again this sad accident seems to prove that area of Henry's design.

cheers

Sunfish
5th Apr 2010, 10:21
Confirm Spirax Post. I was privileged to shake Dr. Millicers hand over discussions of what might have been.

james9
5th Apr 2010, 10:34
This was the same aircraft involved with the incident a few months back.

PLovett
5th Apr 2010, 10:41
spirax, triadic and you are NOT correct. := It is the SAME aircraft.

I am a member of the aero club where MTC was on-line; I was at the aero club when it was reported overdue following what turned out to be a heart-attack by the pilot; and I was at the aero club when the wreckage was brought back to the club following the forced landing on the Brooker highway. :eek:

Following the landing on the beach the aircraft was fully checked over by a LAME and found that there was nothing wrong with the engine. The filters and wheel bearings were changed due to the fact it had been on a beach for some time and the aircraft was returned to line, until yesterday.:{

In recent years the aero club has only had one Victa on-line, namely VH-MTC. It was the aircraft involved in both incidents. :sad:

Damien1989
5th Apr 2010, 10:56
ACST - Aero Club of Southern Tasmania (http://espinner.net/espinner10.html?victa_recovery.htm)

Same Aircraft.

ZEEBEE
5th Apr 2010, 11:42
In order to be correct, the aircraft type is an "Airtourer" whilst Victa was the manufacturer of the 168 built in Oz and AESL was the manufacturer of the 79 built in NZ. Not incorrect, but a bit like calling all Cherokee's a Piper!

Except of course other than the "AirCruiser", I think it was which never made it into production, the Airtourer was the only aircraft produced by them, so it is acceptable to call it a Victa.

Unless you're likely to confuse it with the lawnmowers they made.
The 100Hp version certainly doubled as one if you got behind the power curve with a load of flap out. :}

KRUSTY 34
5th Apr 2010, 12:41
I flew MTC quite a bit out at Hoxton park more than 20 years ago, and instantly fell in love with her. What a lovely change to the imported American 2 seaters. I couldn't believe the ineptitude of the Australian Government in letting such a great piece of kit slip through their (and ultimately our), fingers!

Once I had to force land her due to a broken valve. Anything more than idle power produced a wicked vibration, so we weren't going far in that condition. Fortunately it happened not far from the curcuit, and no bent metal that time. Some of you guys are a little un-kind. She didn't glide that badly. :ok:

She had a 150hp 0320 (spot on PLovett) which IMHO still made her a little underpowered, but was certainly a vast improvement on the 100/115hp models. Sad to see her all banged up, but I have to agree with spirax on the soundness of Dr Millicer's design. Damn shame about the prang though, as the old girl scrubed up all right in her current paint scheme. When I flew her she was a little more drab!

Brian Abraham
6th Apr 2010, 06:27
Except of course other than the "AirCruiser", I think it was which never made it into production, the Airtourer was the only aircraft produced by them
The one and only Aircruiser built is still flying out of Bega. Plans were afoot to put it, and the Airtourer, into production in the late 90's here in Sale. Factory built, but the venture ran into the usual money problems and went belly up.

http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/2/9/4/4/38370_1053910449.jpg

cogwheel
6th Apr 2010, 06:36
Except of course other than the "AirCruiser", I think it was which never made it into production, the Airtourer was the only aircraft produced by them, so it is acceptable to call it a Victa.

Except if you are an Airtourer person; then it is not a 'Victa'.

You don't call those made in NZ an "AESL" do you??

The aircraft is an Airtourer and should be so called I believe, as is the Aircruiser (even if there is only one)

baron_beeza
6th Apr 2010, 06:46
The aircraft is an Airtourer and should be so called I believe,

Of course the Poms refer to theirs as Glos-Airtourers

OZBUSDRIVER
6th Apr 2010, 07:01
You can certainly see who was the CT4's daddy.

Dick Gower
6th Apr 2010, 07:26
Did anybody see the blistered paint on one of the rocker covers?

B772
6th Apr 2010, 12:17
Interesting to hear the claim the a/c flew under an overpass before landing on the highway. I hope he did not get a 'ticket' from the attending Police.

I also understand a Hobart Instructor was jailed last week for 6 months fully suspended on the condition he be of good behaviour for 3 years. The Instructor wrote off a C172 after take-off at Bruny Island. Apparently the a/c plunged into the water from approx. 20 feet.

ZEEBEE
6th Apr 2010, 12:43
The aircraft is an Airtourer and should be so called I believe, as is the Aircruiser (even if there is only one)

OK, you've got me ....Airtourer it is. :}

Brian

The Aircruiser always looked like it should have been a goer. Shame it never got the recognition it deserved. :{

PLovett
6th Apr 2010, 15:59
B772,

The aircraft did fly under the overpass before touching down on the highway. The pilot had committed to landing on the highway when he noticed the overpass. There was insufficient airspeed to climb over the overpass and light poles so he elected to go under. When you see the overpass in question there must have been very little room but the only thing he hit was a reflector pole on the centre divide between the carriageways.

In reference to the court case you mention, the man was never an instructor but a former commercial pilot. The crash site was at Cloudy Bay at the southern end of Bruny Island and was in 2003.

Arm out the window
6th Apr 2010, 21:20
The Aircruiser always looked like it should have been a goer. Shame it never got the recognition it deserved.

Imagine the rate of climb with 4 up on a hot day - it'd only be the curvature of the Earth that would make it go up, wouldn't it?

Biggles_in_Oz
6th Apr 2010, 22:09
Did anybody see the blistered paint on one of the rocker coversOn the TV newsclip I noticed that one of the covers looked 'odd', but I didn't notice if the cover was also heat-discoloured.
It could also be a quirk of the lighting and camera angle.

Brian Abraham
7th Apr 2010, 00:55
Imagine the rate of climb with 4 up on a hot day
A grossed out CT4 weighed 130 pounds more than the Aircruiser, and had the same wing area and horsepower, so figure as ZEEBEE hints, it would have made for a nice little aircraft. Particularly bouncing around in the inland summer thermals the higher than normal wing loading would have been an attraction. Only ever flew the 100HP model, and out of farmers paddocks in the blistering summer heat, no problems and enjoyed every minute of a truly capable aircraft - a notch or two above a C150 IMHO.

The Chaser
7th Apr 2010, 00:58
Pilot brought back to earth Tasmania News - The Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania (http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/04/07/138395_tasmania-news.html)
Mr Wells said Mr Humphries would most likely be reprimanded if investigators found that a fuel shortage led to his problems.
:ooh:

OZBUSDRIVER
7th Apr 2010, 01:34
The guy had an idea of what he wanted to do...the question is, would I have done it in the same situation?

4000ft over Otago on Google shows a heap more places. Maybe, he re-evaluated too many times as he got lower and got stuck with not being able to make his last one and stuck with the highway.

From a position of wanting to learn from this, I am at a loss to understand why he went so far toward Hobart with a failing engine.

From a mechanical point of view..I remember Jim Scott telling me years ago that a Victa almost killed him when the fuel bladder collapsed after some aeros..forced landing that he wailked away from...could be a similar situation, although I thought that problem was fixed.

Will be interesting to hear the guy's thoughts for this flight.

j3pipercub
7th Apr 2010, 01:45
OZ,

It is wednesday morning, not monday... didn't realise you played grid-iron?

Mr Wells seems like a fool. Hope nothing similar happens to any of his aircraft in future, he will be wearing egg otherwise...

The Green Goblin
7th Apr 2010, 02:23
What a moron........

It is true that they are a bunch of inbreds down that way :eek:

Congrats to the Pilot. The successful conclusion of a forced landing from whatever reason, Pilot error or not is to be commended. The ADF are not in the habit of traning idiots and usually end up with the cream of the crop, so I'd be willing to give this fella the benefit of the doubt.

Mr Wells is just trying to get his name in the media. What a douche.

baron_beeza
7th Apr 2010, 02:59
Did anybody see the blistered paint on one of the rocker covers?

I think that was noted earlier.
the thermo-plating letting go in the degauzer control. As we all know, its a fairly common problem with them Victa's
Indeed it is not just the Airtourer but Lycoming engines in general.
In years gone by I was was up with the quirks of both the Airtrainer and the Airtourer, - so well out of touch now.
However I still am working on Lycoming engines on a daily basis and am often puzzled by the lack of attention paid to the plating. You would think it would be part of the 100 Hr inspection or something.... especially as it may have been an issue in this event.
The Moorabbin aircraft would have had a Lycoming engine also.... go figure. Two in one week... !

OZBUSDRIVER
7th Apr 2010, 03:23
J3, power of hindsight.

Monday quarterbacking is just an americanisation of the original term. Armchair expert you will say....I still ask myself..with all evidence what would I do from that position?

Anyway, we still aren't getting the whole story. Did the engine just straight quit, was it giving marginal power at different throttle settings, was it a mechanical failure or a fuel starvation? Everything has a bearing on the outcome. Why didn't the guy just turn north away from civilisation?

So, I either keep my own opinion and watch you characters have all the fun or have a say in the matter. If you take the end point as THE result then the guy saved the day...you gotta ask, how the hell did he get himself in that position in the first place?...and that is just plain speculation.

Enjoy, that's why it is a rumour network:}

frigatebird
7th Apr 2010, 03:43
Landing an Airtourer 100 is not a problem - but if you want a quiet take-off without the stall warning stuttering, beware the downwind departure, in the middle of the day, 2 up, from a soft sandy strip with those little tyres.. (Learning curves) :oh:

PLovett
7th Apr 2010, 07:56
OZ,

The pilot was lower than 4,000' when the engine failed and he was not over Otago Bay either.

His first option turned out to be a non-goer due to vehicles parked around the particular sports ground and by then the only viable option was the highway.

Google Earth does not give a good indication of the terrain around there where there are precious few sites for a forced landing. North was not an option.

The engine did not immediately quit but initially lost some power. The pilot used that time to gain another 300' where it quit completely but he still only had about 2 minutes glide time available. Not much time really.

There are several people being quoted by the media expressing opinions on what happened. They are just that, opinions. No one at this stage knows why the engine quit and the wreckage is currently sealed by the Police.

j3pipercub
7th Apr 2010, 08:13
OZ,

Whether it's an americanism or not, it better describes what you are doing.

I still think you're a fool. Are you Plankie in disguise? Cmon you can be honest...

j3

CharlieLimaX-Ray
7th Apr 2010, 08:20
Probably the most exicitng thing that has happened in Hobart town, since the talking movies came to town or Wrest Point Casino opened.

If the aircraft had crashed at the northern end of Brooker road, the northern suburbs flannel wearing government employees would have pinched the wheels, milked the fuel, flogged the radios, burnt the wreckage before the cops would have arrived and at least three teenage scrubbers would now be with child.

HarleyD
7th Apr 2010, 09:36
I still think you're a fool. Are you Plankie in disguise? Cmon you can be honest...Oh J3 you crack me up.... I was thinking the same thing.

but then i thought, no, he's not that bad generally

HD

CharlieLimaX-Ray
7th Apr 2010, 09:41
Does the Victa have fuel tanks in the wing or is it a fuselage tank?

PLovett
7th Apr 2010, 11:32
Fuselage......the filler is on the right hand side of the fuselage just above the wing root.

Arm out the window
7th Apr 2010, 21:24
A grossed out CT4 weighed 130 pounds more than the Aircruiser

Maybe, but the CT4 has 210 HP, and it's certainly no homesick angel!:)

Horatio Leafblower
7th Apr 2010, 21:36
Mr Wells said he believed Mr Humphries attempted to land on the New Town hockey field, but "messed it up".

"I'm assuming he certainly didn't intend to land on the highway. If he did he should be arrested," Mr Wells said.

:rolleyes:

Capt Kremin
7th Apr 2010, 22:28
Mr Wells has made some seriously silly statements. The bit about the hero pilots being the ones who don't crash is probably the silliest of a choice bunch.

Regardless of how this young guy got into the situation, he handled it with a cool head and walked away to tell the tale. Many would have panicked. We have all heard of aircraft landing on a highway after an engine failure. In extremis, it is a valid option.

I think he did a great job. Flying under the bridge is a remarkable feat for a young pilot. :ok:

ozbiggles
8th Apr 2010, 01:35
Don't know the how and why of this incident yet.
But I now know Mr Wells is a tool if he has been quoted correctly.
A good pilot (and human being) is one who doesn't slam someone for doing something he seems to know SFA about.

Wally Mk2
8th Apr 2010, 03:08
Mr Wells may very well be far more experienced than our hapless young pilot here but there's one thing My Well's hasn't got.........& that's youth!:-)

I guess by Mr Wells std's "hero pilots are those who spend a lifetime flying around without an accident" means Capt 'Sully' the guy who is/was a hero with the A320 ditching is another Mr Humphries???:ugh:

We all have an opinion on such matters even Mr Wells is entitled to one it's just a shame though that his many years of experience is working against him by way of poorly thought out comments.

Wmk2

Dangly Bits
8th Apr 2010, 03:58
I love this one.

As an ex-RAAF CFS instructor I would conduct an inquest and discipline him.

Ha! what a beauty.... First we will court marshall him then we will execute him. Even if he is innocent.

Gold!

cogwheel
8th Apr 2010, 04:11
Does the Victa have fuel tanks in the wing or is it a fuselage tank?

Fuselage......the filler is on the right hand side of the fuselage just above the wing root.

To be technically correct the Airtourer fuel is in the wing - the centre section thereof. The Airtourer wing is a single structure that passes under the center of the fuse. The fuel is contained in a rubber cell in that section. Part of Henry Millicers crashworthyness plan.

Maybe, but the CT4 has 210 HP, and it's certainly no homesick angel!

Both the Aircruiser and the CT/4A have basically the same engine - 210hp Continental.

With ref to the Aircruiser, one must remember that MVR is a prototype and if the aircraft had have made it into production it would have incorporated many changes and given the C182 of the day a good run. That was what Cessna were so scared of when they dumped C150's on the market in '66 which helped Victa to close.

It was a sad time of Australian aviation! Not changed much since!:(

Stationair8
8th Apr 2010, 04:28
Is Stan Tilley still around the ACST? If so does he still own a Victa?

Stikybeke
8th Apr 2010, 04:41
MVR...

I've got a small bit of time in that one...owned by Des H (one of the original Dr Millicer product delivery drivers, along with his brother....) who flew it from his property on the river and that darned uphill strip (regardless of wind direction)...to Frogs Hollow (between Bega and Wolumla) every w/end where we'd all gather of a Sunday arvo flying that, the skybolt (RIP Nile) and whatever ever else dropped in.....pure gold memories....All the best Des, Jim, Brian and the others if you'r reading this...I've never fogotton those true bush lessons learnt from true bush pilots.....

Stiky
:ok:

cogwheel
8th Apr 2010, 05:24
Is Stan Tilley still around the ACST? If so does he still own a Victa?

Yes and yes - he still has his "Airtourer" MTL

Presently chairman of the Airtourer Cooperative Ltd

:ok:

Aeroo
9th Apr 2010, 00:42
A comment on The Mercury website:

He's not a hero, he could have killed innocent children where he landed, he should have started the plane engine up again and landed at a designated airstrip instead of doing childish tricks to impress his family.Shame on you young man
Posted by: Christian Chandler of Otago Bay 7:41pm Thursday

:hmm: Of course, it's all so obvious now - the pilot should have started the engine up again! And after he got the engine going again, he should have gone and landed at an airport. Why didn't he think to do that? What a silly pilot :rolleyes:

Stationair8
9th Apr 2010, 00:56
Lets see April 1st was last week, likewise full moon last week, pension day was last week, must be national idiots day?

Is the wheel turning the hamster or the hamster turning the wheel in Otago bay?

Perhaps Christian could head up CASA flight training division and get the pilot training into shape?

j3pipercub
9th Apr 2010, 01:36
I can't believe I have to share my oxygen and fossil fuels with this sort...

CharlieLimaX-Ray
9th Apr 2010, 01:46
I am with you J3.

baron_beeza
9th Apr 2010, 01:47
a trainee pilot with the Australian Airforce was practising aerobatics when the engine stalled

he should have started the plane engine up again and landed at a designated airstrip instead of doing childish tricks

Given the newspaper reports, - and Christian and others obviously believe them implicitly..... why wouldn't you just restart.
Although it is a long time since I was learning to drive, I can clearly recall stalling on many, many occasions. It was almost second nature, part of the moving off routine. Mirrors, indicate, stall, restart, etc

Surely trainee pilots experience the same thing, how you possibly forget such an instinctive reaction ?

Has anyone ever mentioned that we should be holding newspapers accountable for their reporting....... !! ?

Irresponsible 'published facts' just get the other clowns in society wound up.

As an aside, I have attended many accidents in my professional role.
Oh yes, the pilot's version of the events is definitely not worth reporting.
hmmmmm. eyebrows raised, sideways glances by all present generally..

If the Police are well out of their depth with any factual knowledge then the reporter may just as well just make it up.
Deadlines are deadlines, and headlines....!!

I have the NT News as my local paper.
You needn't ask if I would actually buy it !
I still don't understand what the youngster was doing, - aerobatics with a crocodile in the back seat.... and with a cyclone warning in force. :rolleyes:

Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania (http://tools.themercury.com.au/yoursay/comment_all.php)

Pinky the pilot
9th Apr 2010, 02:11
Just went to the Mercury website and read some of the comments posted in the blog concerning the incident.
Some of the posters claim to be pilots themselves.:rolleyes: Is it just me or does anyone else have reasonable doubt that any of those posters have any flying experience other than being SLF?:ugh:

Baron beeza;:ok:

Jabiman
13th Dec 2010, 12:38
Plane crash cause revealed Today's News - The Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania (http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/12/13/192811_todays-news.html)

A ROOKIE pilot who dramatically crash-landed on one of Tasmania's busiest highways ran out of fuel, an aviation investigation has found.
Almost eight months after Patrick Humphries, 19, miraculously walked away without injury, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau concluded the light aircraft's fuel gauge was faulty.
The investigation also revealed that a modified dip-stick, an out-of-date safety book and pilot error contributed to the crash which made international news.
Mr Humphries was praised as a hero pilot (http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/04/06/138135_tasmania-news.html) who dodged houses and cars before gliding under an overpass after the engine of his aircraft stalled on April 4 (http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/04/05/138005_tasmania-news.html).
But his crash sparked a furious debate about whether he should have been flying his plane so close to the city and led to his family publicly defending his actions.
The Australian Defence Force recruit had chartered the Victa Airtourer to practise aerobatics 3000 feet over Ralphs Bay, south-east of Hobart, before descending to take a scenic tour over Hobart.
His heart sank as the engine stalled at 10.20am, when he was flying at 1600 feet and travelling south towards the Tasman Bridge.
He considered crash-landing on sports fields before settling for the Brooker Highway, where he ducked an overpass, clipped an embankment and spun out of control near Clearys Gates.
The ATSB report, which is due for public release tomorrow, ends months of speculation.
The investigation revealed that when the engine stopped the fuel gauge indicated there was 55 litres of fuel left in the tank.
Investigators could not determine the exact cause of the false reading, but suggested that "wrinkles" in the bottom of the fuel tank could have contributed.
Investigators also found that modifications to the aircraft's dip-stick gave Mr Humphries a false reading of the fuel level and subsequent flight time when he took off from the Cambridge aerodrome.
The report said that had the aircraft's out-of-date Civil Aviation Safety Authority Airworthiness Directive been relevant, any false reading could have been identified and fixed before the accident.
But the report also identified that Mr Humphries miscalculated the fuel by using figures that were not appropriate for the aircraft and engine combination.
"Application of the appropriate fuel consumption rates to the pilot's flights over the weekend showed that there was insufficient fuel on board for the occurrence flight," the report said.
Speaking from Canberra yesterday, Mr Humphries said he did not blame anyone for the accident.
"I accept that what happened has happened, I'm not angry about that," he said.
Mr Humphries said he was now focused on his ADF career, having just successfully completed his first year of study.
He said he hoped to have a successful career as a pilot once he graduated in 2012.

PLovett
14th Dec 2010, 00:29
A ROOKIE pilot who dramatically crash-landed on one of Tasmania's busiest highways ran out of fuel, an aviation investigation has found.
Almost eight months after Patrick Humphries, 19, miraculously walked away without injury, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau concluded the light aircraft's fuel gauge was faulty.
The investigation also revealed that a modified dip-stick, an out-of-date safety book and pilot error contributed to the crash which made international news.
Mr Humphries was praised as a hero pilot who dodged houses and cars before gliding under an overpass after the engine of his aircraft stalled on April 4.
But his crash sparked a furious debate about whether he should have been flying his plane so close to the city and led to his family publicly defending his actions.
The Australian Defence Force recruit had chartered the Victa Airtourer to practise aerobatics 3000 feet over Ralphs Bay, south-east of Hobart, before descending to take a scenic tour over Hobart.
His heart sank as the engine stalled at 10.20am, when he was flying at 1600 feet and travelling south towards the Tasman Bridge.
He considered crash-landing on sports fields before settling for the Brooker Highway, where he ducked an overpass, clipped an embankment and spun out of control near Clearys Gates.
The ATSB report, which is due for public release tomorrow, ends months of speculation.
The investigation revealed that when the engine stopped the fuel gauge indicated there was 55 litres of fuel left in the tank.
Investigators could not determine the exact cause of the false reading, but suggested that "wrinkles" in the bottom of the fuel tank could have contributed.
Investigators also found that modifications to the aircraft's dip-stick gave Mr Humphries a false reading of the fuel level and subsequent flight time when he took off from the Cambridge aerodrome.
The report said that had the aircraft's out-of-date Civil Aviation Safety Authority Airworthiness Directive been relevant, any false reading could have been identified and fixed before the accident.
But the report also identified that Mr Humphries miscalculated the fuel by using figures that were not appropriate for the aircraft and engine combination.
"Application of the appropriate fuel consumption rates to the pilot's flights over the weekend showed that there was insufficient fuel on board for the occurrence flight," the report said.
Speaking from Canberra yesterday, Mr Humphries said he did not blame anyone for the accident.
"I accept that what happened has happened, I'm not angry about that," he said.
Mr Humphries said he was now focused on his ADF career, having just successfully completed his first year of study.
He said he hoped to have a successful career as a pilot once he graduated in 2012.

My bold. I wonder who released it to the Mercury prior to its publication? I have my suspicions.

Jabiman
14th Dec 2010, 12:55
Investigation: AO-2010-025 - Total power loss - Victa Airtourer, VH-MTC, Hobart Tasmania, 4 April 2010 (http://atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2010/aair/ao-2010-025.aspx)

On 4 April 2010, the pilot of a Victa Airtourer 115 aircraft, registered VH-MTC was conducting a private visual rules return flight from Cambridge Aerodrome, Tasmania. The flight consisted of some aerobatics, followed by some sight-seeing over Hobart.
At about 1020, after the pilot commenced the return to Cambridge, the engine suddenly lost all power. The pilot conducted a forced landing onto a nearby road, seriously damaging the aircraft. The pilot, who was the sole occupant, was uninjured.
The investigation found that the power loss was due to exhaustion of the aircraft's fuel supply.
A number of safety issues were identified concerning the measurement of the quantity of fuel on board, and consumed before and during the flight. Those issues contributed to the pilot's belief that there was more fuel on board the aircraft than was actually the case.
As a result of this accident the aircraft's type certificate holder, aircraft owner's association and the aircraft's operator have undertaken a number of safety actions. Those actions include a number of pilot education initiatives and the amendment of the operator's maintenance processes to ensure compliance with all airworthiness directives.
In addition, the aircraft's type certificate holder is undertaking a number of enhancements in response to an unrelated Civil Aviation Safety Authority-initiated review of aspects of the aircraft's fuel system and concerns about the aircraft's original fuel system certification process.

CharlieLimaX-Ray
20th Dec 2010, 10:00
Is it a write-off or going to be a long term rebuild?

PLovett
20th Dec 2010, 11:45
The wreckage was sold by the insurance company to another Victa owner who intends utilising it for what spares he can get from it. He also intends rebuilding the engine and using it to replace his present donk. The aircraft had been modified to take a 150 hp engine which is what he principally wanted.

The fuselage was in surprisingly good shape despite having a wing torn off although there was some damage around the wing root area. The canopy, for example, still moved on its tracks without any binding or jamming. As the engine was not turning over at the time of impact there may not be a lot of internal damage, however, the prop was hit and will be a write-off so I expect bearings may also have been damaged.