PDA

View Full Version : Atpl(h) Information

ONE WAY
3rd Apr 2010, 17:16
Hi!

I ask pilots and co-pilots of Helicopter for sincere information / opinion about the professional exit in this job.

Once finished the ATPL(H) with 200 total hours (115h of R22, 25h of AS355 and 60h of sim) and a Forest campaign (? H), you find work in forest / maritime alertness, photography / filming, extinction of fires, taxi, etc ...? Or is it a lie?

I would be grateful for opinion and / or personal experience.

Thank you very much.

flap flap flap
3rd Apr 2010, 17:23
In what country?

What languages do you speak?

FAA ATPL or JAA ATPL?

How old are you?

Are you prepared to work for little/nothing?

Are you prepared to clean hangar floors before being allowed near a helicopter?

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/253430-what-job-prospects-new-cpls-merged.html

eivissa
3rd Apr 2010, 17:28
Is this what TopFly is assuring you and why would you go for the instrument rating if the expected operations are all VFR?

If you are willing to pay for a multi-engine rating then why not take the A109. Its a much more common helicopter in Spain.

ONE WAY
3rd Apr 2010, 17:41
Hi flap flap flap!

Everywhere... in Spain if it's posible (but I don't think so).

I only speak Spanish and English.

I have 30 years old.

Not for nothing, I'll need to survive...

I want to know the reality from the point of view of the pilots.

flap flap flap
3rd Apr 2010, 17:46
I would try to find a way to get more hours (instructing maybe). I can't imagine there are many forestry/rescue jobs going for 200 hr pilots.

Then again, I don't know much about ops in spain.

I would visit some operators and try to talk to them.

ONE WAY
3rd Apr 2010, 17:51
Hi eivissa!

Yes, this is what Top Fly is assuring me... well, they say this is the best option and the most complete.

They say I can easy work for TAF in Spain in forest alertness (IR required).

What's your opinion? I don't believe them...

ONE WAY
3rd Apr 2010, 17:57
Thanks flap flap flap.

I'll do it asap.

But the sector is so badly as not to be a good option for the future?

eivissa
3rd Apr 2010, 18:21
I dont have any problems with TopFly, you should just never believe what the FTOs are telling you. With 200h you are ahead of all the fresh CPLs with just 135h and only 35 of them being PIC, but it still aint much.

Prepare yourself for a hard time and not much money, although you can be lucky with the IR and get into a better paid copilots job right away...you never know. Just dont count on things that you are being told by the schools. The reality looks worse...by far!

I would have done the training with intercopters, because they have a contract with Inaer to incorporate new pilots and that is not just fake to get new students...Inaer themselves will tell you this. This is just the route I would have taken, but TopFly hasnt got a bad reputation either...just no big company that might hire you afterwards in the back.