PDA

View Full Version : Infamous Treasure Hunt Landing

Special 25
3rd Apr 2010, 13:22
Got sent this YouTube clip recently - If you can ignore the cheesy 80's game show format and the dreadful contestants, this is a great piece of TV and an impressive landing.

Watch until the shapely Anneka is walking back to the helicopter (having completed the task) and you can see waves are still sliding over the deck.

IN0EWrQPUcQ

YouTube - Treasure Hunt - Devon (1986, series 4) part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN0EWrQPUcQ)

ReverseFlight
3rd Apr 2010, 13:56
Long before "The Amazing Race" was born, Anneka Rice had already been running up and down the moors setting standards for such programmes - she worked extremely hard and got the credit she deserved. You won't believe she had an earlier stint in radio and television in Hong Kong, tolerated it for a few years but absolutely hated the experience, sad to report. I wonder where she is now and what she's doing after all these years.

g-mady
3rd Apr 2010, 13:59
Thats amazing!!!

Cant imagine the elf and saftey brigade allowing that sort of thing now!!!

Those waves would have me worried...

MADY

flap flap flap
3rd Apr 2010, 14:38
Return to TV

As a result of her owning the rights to Challenge Anneka{staring Anna Tumelty}, Rice returned to TV in a co-producer role in September 2001 when she was approached by the ABC network in the U.S. to produce a new series based on the same format, where it was branded Challenge America hosted by Erin Brockovich.

After finishing her art degree, in 2003 Rice returned to presenting on the Five show Dinner Doctors alongside the relationship advisor Jenni Trent Hughes.

Rice has written books on skiing and scuba-diving. In 2005, she endorsed a line of anti-aging products.

Returning to the limelight, Rice had a lead role in The Vagina Monologues which played at Birmingham Hippodrome from 31 January to 4 February 2006.

Rice returned to ITV in June 2006 to co-host the new Sunday morning cookery show, Sunday Feast. She also took part in the ITV programme Extinct presented by Sir Trevor McDonald and Zoe Ball which saw Rice and seven other well known celebrities visit endangered animals in their natural habitat and try and plead their case so that the viewers would pick up the phone and vote for their animal to receive a large sum of money to try and save them from extinction. Rice's chosen animal was the polar bear. Rice did not win as the money went to the Bengal tigers and their celebrity, Pauline Collins.

On 9 June 2006 it was announced that Challenge Anneka would return, but this time on ITV. The first of three specials was broadcast on Boxing Day 2006.[7] A further episode was aired on 6 June 2007. In September 2007, she appeared in the third series of Hell's Kitchen.

heliboy999
3rd Apr 2010, 17:26
Who was the pilot and what is he doing now?

One of the programs that inspired me to fly!

:ok:

Special 25
3rd Apr 2010, 17:55
Pilot was an Ex Navy chap called Keith Thompson. He flew on all those Treasure Hunt programs (becoming a feature of the program)and I think still works for Castle Air - They do probably 80% of all the aerial film work so when you see that helicopter lifting off the lighthouse on the BBC credits, or panning shots in Briton from the Air, that may well be Keith

misterbonkers
3rd Apr 2010, 18:28
80%?!? I doubt it!

Dont forget FlyingTV, Arena, PDG Helis, Sterling, and some smaller companies...

Scotsheli
3rd Apr 2010, 18:46
Castle Air probably do the lions share of the higher profile aerial filming work and last time I called Keith was still working there as the man in charge of such matters!

VeeAny
3rd Apr 2010, 19:37
He is still there, he's the chief pilot , I had the pleasure of flying with him just this week in a 206.

GS

SECRET SERVICE
4th Apr 2010, 08:56
Hello Gary

It's great to hear that KT is still up there flying for Castle Air. I can honestly say with hand on heart that Keith Thompson was one of my childhood inspiration to take up flying helicopters.

In relation to flying with him earlier this week in a 206, which aircraft was is, was it G-SPEY?

I understand the old comms helicopter on the Treasure Hunt television series, flown a majority of the time by Michael Malric-Smith has gone through a total maker over from it's dark green/gold livery.

SS

bolkow
4th Apr 2010, 16:56
G-SPEY is still around but I believe the one anneka rice used to use ditched at sea some years back when if memory serves me right it was returning to the UK from France?
Flying that singel engine jet ranger over water would meet with a few frowns nowaday, reminds me of the time Irish Helicopters used an alouette 2 to fly jobs to offshore lighthouses (EI-AUI)

I believe the helicopter registration used by Anneka Rice was G-BXHU, and G-SPEY always acted as the camera ship that took those arial shots of BXHU

chopjock
4th Apr 2010, 19:37
G-SPEY is still around but I believe the one anneka rice used to use ditched at sea some years back when if memory serves me right it was returning to the UK from France?

No, on the way out.Destroyed on the 29th June 1995 during a positioning flight from Liskeard to Deauville. The helicopter suffered what was later believed to be a major mechanical failure within the engine gearbox assembly. The helicopter ditched in the sea off the Channel Island of Alderney and sank, fortunately the two crew members escaped without injury.

elro
4th Apr 2010, 20:02
Hmmm... wonder if its still at the bottom, might be worth treasure hunting for a 'salty' 206 in a good 50 years time :}

Ten West
4th Apr 2010, 20:58
I wonder where (Anneka) is now and what she's doing after all these years.'Scuse me posting in here, but I've just seen her! On an episode of "QI" with Stephen Fry.

She still looks much the same too. :ok:

Whirlygig
4th Apr 2010, 21:28
O4tVT8hBuP4&feature=related

Cheers

Whirls

bolkow
4th Apr 2010, 23:46
in that clip is the land based white lighthouse St Anns Head, in Pembrokeshire, wales?

TukTuk BoomBoom
5th Apr 2010, 00:47
A classic Clive James "Saturday Night Clive" episode had the infamous Morton Downey Jr. who, after Clives segment called "Challenge Annekas Bottom" ( a reference to the large amount of rear end views in "Treasure Hunt" and "Challenge Anneka") replied
"Anneka i challenge you to go and live in the Antarctic for a year".
Dont know why i still remember that!

212man
5th Apr 2010, 04:24
in that clip is the land based white lighthouse St Anns Head, in Pembrokeshire, wales?

I think the airport is St Mary's (Isle of Scilly)

If you are going to 'wazz' around near cliffs, I'd have thought the helmet clear visor down might appropriate - a seagull through the screen at 120 kts would really spoil your day. Not to mention that of the other 3 on board!

John Eacott
5th Apr 2010, 06:48
Well, he was such a nice mannered Sub Lieutenant ;)

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/1524-3/Keith+Thompson+on+Ark.jpg

JimBall
5th Apr 2010, 11:50
Tonight, Matthew, I'm going to spoil your perm

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Du9IOeaUeg8&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Du9IOeaUeg8&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

griffothefog
5th Apr 2010, 12:09
The first lighthouse looked scarily like the Bishop rock (slung me arse off to that more times than I care to remember!!) followed by St Mary's airport.
The last light he was buzzing looked like the Lizard, but as we never used to service that one, I would happily stand corrected :ok:

chopjock
5th Apr 2010, 16:12
The last light he was buzzing looked like the Lizard, but as we never used to service that one, I would happily stand corrected http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Looks more like Pendeen watch :)

griffothefog
5th Apr 2010, 16:28
chopjock,

you might be right, but I don't remember Pendeen being that big, but on reflection I do remember the Lizard had a huge lighthouse and that certainly rules out my first obs. :{

Sulley
5th Apr 2010, 18:58
Chopjock

"No, on the way out.Destroyed on the 29th June 1995 during a positioning flight from Liskeard to Deauville. The helicopter suffered what was later believed to be a major mechanical failure within the engine gearbox assembly. The helicopter ditched in the sea off the Channel Island of Alderney and sank, fortunately the two crew members escaped without injury."

That wasn't G-SPEY

chopjock
5th Apr 2010, 19:36
Sulley
That wasn't G-SPEYYeh I know. I was refering to the other 206 (G-BXHU) in the previous post (11) .:)

Aero Mad
20th Jun 2010, 08:25
Hi all - am publishing a book about Alderney aviation in August, and whilst researching my accidents section, I found that the AAIB investigation strangely stated that the controlled decent to ditching 'gave the commander time to remove his sunglasses'. Now there's a twist I wasn't expecting... :ok:

Yellow & Blue Baron
20th Jun 2010, 20:22
G-BXHU I believe ...

http://www.ukgameshows.com/p/images/thumb/d/df/Treasure_hunt_002.jpg/350px-Treasure_hunt_002.jpg

Dont quite know why Special 25 refers to this as an 'infamous' landing. I mean isn't this the point of helicopters ... versatility! It seems to me like a great demonstration of the helicopter's ability.

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/3106/hkp6padack16ht.png

In the Swedish Navy we would do the same thing using the same aircraft type (on a regular basis). Unfortunely now, with the 109E LUH (with it's wheeled undercarriage) we can't - but thats technology for you!

Trans Lift
21st Jun 2010, 02:11
I would think it is pretty infamous to the kids and non-aviation community who watched it!

Flying Lawyer
21st Jun 2010, 05:02
Dont quite know why Special 25 refers to this as an 'infamous' landing. I mean isn't this the point of helicopters ... versatility! It seems to me like a great demonstration of the helicopter's ability.
I was puzzled by that too.
Famous certainly, but there was nothing infamous about it.

Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!

birrddog
21st Jun 2010, 13:02
Infamous is when you are more than famous - This man El Guapo is not just famous - he is infamous

- The Three Amigo's

Special 25
21st Jun 2010, 21:04
Sorry - I used the wrong word !!! Don't get too deep into the word 'infamous' - I hadn't even remembered I'd put that in the title. I just thought it was a great landing, an impressive piece of tv, and something that you'd be very unlikely to see these days.

Interesting to see the Swedish Navy carrying out such operations but certainly not aware of that happening in the Royal Navy !!

Yellow & Blue Baron
22nd Jun 2010, 09:04
Your very 'Royal' navy doesn't have many helicopters capable of making a sub deck touchdown - I think your RN policy is to keep away from such operations.

Possibly the only thing available in your air fleet would be the SA341 (if you still have any) but then I'm sure your station or wing commander wouldn't approve of such ops. Your defence training school could try it out with the AS350 but it would probably be too dangerous!

In Sweden sub landing ops were used infrequently (but without criticism) for urgent ship to shore comms such as medevac, urgent supplies and solops.

Now we use the Agusta 109E LUH (which is what I fly). It is a great aircraft but ... not for landing on subs!

Yellow & Blue Baron
22nd Jun 2010, 16:39
The 'Sverige Marinen' (Swedish Navy) has a long history of association between submarines and helicopters.

http://www.avrosys.nu/aircraft/Heli/501hkp1/501-HKP1-U-baaten-Shae-700px.jpg

Boeing Vertol 44 (HKP 1) over the attack submarine HMS Sjöhästen (the Sea Horse) circa 1960.

The Ferret
26th Jun 2010, 23:02
...and "Black Dog" looked pretty smooth in that picture too JE!

Bronx
28th Jun 2010, 07:11
Mail shipment

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/BronxNYC/BaltimoregrapplinghookmailSH-60Seahawk.jpg

Yellow & Blue Baron
28th Jun 2010, 09:51
Bronx, no more info?

We see the guy with the hook, did he catch the mail bag first time, did he get knocked on the head with it or maybe did it even fall in the water?

Which helicopter was this, a Boeing 107 Sea Knight, a Kaman Seasprite ... a Sikorsky Seahawk ... !

Senior Pilot
28th Jun 2010, 09:54
Your very 'Royal' navy doesn't have many helicopters capable of making a sub deck touchdown - I think your RN policy is to keep away from such operations.

YBB,

Most (all?) USN and RN helicopters are winch equipped, and transfers are routinely done to and from submarines via winch. There is no need to land on.

Which is probably why the issue of landing on a submarine is such a non issue for military ops, but unusual in relation to the Treasure Finder programme.

Yellow & Blue Baron
28th Jun 2010, 10:16
Senior Pilot; I understand your comment. We do also have winches fitted to our 109s but .. and I don't know the reason why, only very few have them. Most do not!

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/1763/dsc00479vt.jpg (http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/1763/dsc00479vt.jpg)

And please ... what is a 'Hunt Ducker'?

Hell Man
28th Jun 2010, 10:54
YBB:

In Sweden sub landing ops were used infrequently (but without criticism) for urgent ship to shore comms such as medevac, urgent supplies and solops.

Solops?

Yellow & Blue Baron
28th Jun 2010, 12:06
Hello HM! We do have your name in Sweden you know but the hell and the man are joined and not seperated.

Solops was one of the function of the Swedish Navy Bell 206's and refers to Senior Officer Liaison Operations, basically flying senior officers out to sea to confer with the vessels captain and crew.

Bronx
28th Jun 2010, 17:31
Y&BB Bronx, no more info?
We see the guy with the hook, did he catch the mail bag first time, did he get knocked on the head with it or maybe did it even fall in the water?
Which helicopter was this, a Boeing 107 Sea Knight, a Kaman Seasprite ... a Sikorsky Seahawk ... !

July 17, 1996
Yes he caught it first time.

Helicopter: SH-60 Seahawk from Anti-Submarine Squadron Five (HS-5)

Sub: USS Baltimore (SSN 704), a Los Angeles-class attack submarine. (Decommissioned July 1998 after 16 years service.)

Photo by Photographer's Mate 3rd Class Chris Vickers.

Yellow & Blue Baron
28th Jun 2010, 18:35
Thanks for the additional info.

Herewith, S60, which looks like its fitted with a winch, but where the seamen are rapelling instead - probably because its faster.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/SHIP_SSN-769_Toledo_with_SH-60_lg.jpg

Hell Man
28th Jun 2010, 18:53
Swedish! I see you've been able to make some interesting contributions on this thread (instead of the usual cr*p you write) :yuk: .

Anyway, maybe between you and Bronx you can figure out what the hell this is. Its only a painting and its not an S60 Seahawk but the sub looks like it could be similar to the one Bronx posted.

What the heck the dude is doing out on the wing (or whatever you call it on a sub) I don't know but I notice he doesn't have a hook ... could it be a helo mail delivery?

http://trotter.infopages.net/images/helicopter-l.jpg

Yellow & Blue Baron
7th Oct 2010, 05:24
http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/eab4cfb8a1065687_landing

NYC Police Bell 47 J2 helps to welcome the Nautilus in 1958 after her return from the North Pole. The Nautilus was apparently one of the first atomic subs in the US Navy and crossed the Artic Ocean traveling beneath the ice.

S-55 in background.

YBB

Bertie Thruster
7th Oct 2010, 06:58
When meeting up with a sub at an agreed rendevous (time and lat/long), for a night casevac, do not wait at the spot in a 50ft autohover. :ooh:

Yellow & Blue Baron
7th Oct 2010, 07:22
Yes, I agree, this would consume unnecessry power and limit the field of view to around 160 degrees. Normal procedure is to enter a circular holding pattern at approx. 1500ft asl.

If the operation is covert (or in a combat zone) the holding pattern can be as high as 5000ft asl using infrared to detect the surfacing of the boat.

Did you have a bad experience using autohover over water?

YBB

John R81
7th Oct 2010, 11:34
Like when 60ft of sub comes up under your 50 ft hover?

Bertie Thruster
7th Oct 2010, 20:11
John R81: :ok: :eek: :mad: :ooh: :O

John R81
8th Oct 2010, 10:48
So many emotions, so little time to have experienced them all in.

:ok:

Earl of Rochester
5th Dec 2010, 08:25
8KON3jFr7dg

Noah Zark.
5th Dec 2010, 17:16
Shortly after Treasure Hunt finished, Castle Air had the contract to fly to and from Lundy Island at weekends, and to do this, they set up a base (Winnebago, fuel trailer, 'XU) in a field at Hartland Point, North Devon.
Having taken the folks out to Lundy on Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon lent itself to takng people on a flit round the parish for a look-see.
I availed myself of this a couple of times as I was staying with friends about a quarter of a mile from the temporary base.
The first time I did this, I managed to get the front left seat, alongside Keith Thompson, and explained to him where I was staying whilst three young ladies were being inserted into the back of 'XU, and when we took off, we flew straight to my friends house and did a couple of slow 360's around it whilst I took some foties (an enlarged one of which they still have on their wall) and then away we went for a very entertaining whizz around the locality.
K.T. was a very pleasant chap, who spared the time after flying, to answer a barrage of questions from a just another numpty, with grace and humour.

Brilliant Stuff
5th Dec 2010, 22:34
Thanks Earl, loved it.