PDA

View Full Version : Airline Pilots and Stress

VH_TAF
18th May 2001, 16:11
Hi all,

I just wondered if any airline pilots out there think that being a pilot can be stressful at times and do you think its possible that pilots can suffer from stress? Is it possible to suffer from stress and not know it? Has anyone taken time off work or contracted any illness due to stress from flying?

Any comments welcome

Cheers

Islander Jock
18th May 2001, 19:57
A disorder which is documented to be frequently suffered by airline pilots is central serous retinopathy. It is a idopathic eye disorder which is supposed to happen to mainly males between the ages of 35 and 45. Sypmtoms are supposed to clear up in 2 to 6 months.
Though little medical information is provided it is widely accepted that stress seems to be a major contributing factor.

gingernut
19th May 2001, 13:06
STRESS!!
very common, not always harmful, can affect your ability to perform day to day abilities. Sometimes accompanied by physical manifestations (eg tiredeness, aching pains, loss of appetite). The research evidence in this area is a bit sketchy, but most clinicians believe that "stress" can cause or exascerbate illness.
Treatment! Gone are the days of "pull yourself together man! (or woman)"
Stressusually responds to rest. (Ever noticed how physically well you feel on holiday.Its not just the sun and fresh air).
Sometimes you need help problem solving (eg assertiveness training to deal with a bullying boss).
Sometimes you may have to take more drastic measures to remove the cause of the stress (eg leaving your wife/department/job).
In answer to your question, can you suffer from stress and not know it, the answer is definately yes, although it is sometimes obvious to your friends and loved ones.
The answer! Go and talk to your sympathetic doctor/nurse. He can rule out the physical causes of your symptoms, suggest a plan and offer you some advice.
There is still a bit of a stigma attached to stress, believe me it catches up with the best of us!I see about 40 patients a day in a primary care setting, and I reckon that about 30-40% of my consultations have stress as a contributory factor. I have known clinicians to put "chest infection" on a 2 week medical certificate when the real problem is stress. Sometimes this period of rest is all that is needed to re charge the batteries and leave you feeling able to deal with lifes day to day problems. There is a fine line between stress and depression. Have a chat to your doc. Good luck!