PDA

View Full Version : Medical help again!

Rohan
10th Jul 2001, 20:11
It's me again looking for some advice! You may remember me asking about Class 1 eyesight standards and acceptance of eyesight treated by laser. I have tried numerous times to get through to CAA Medical Dept and left at least three messages with no reply. However I found this question ion FAQ on their website -

"I am thinking about having refractive eye surgery - will there be any problems obtaining a JAR medical?

Refractive surgery can be accepted for Class 1 and Class 2 medical certification, provided your pre-operative spectacle prescription is within -5.0 dioptres of short-sightedness (correction of long-sight or astigmatism is not accepted). Following the surgery, you will be made "temporarily unfit" (all classes) and will be required to have assessments at six months and 12 months post-operatively. Following a favourable outcome at the 12 month assessment, you may be found fit for medical certification. Please note that the CAA does not recommend refractive eye surgery for certificatory purposes, because vision can be adversely affected by the surgery."

I had laser done about 6 years ago; my prescription was -3.5 and -3.75 and was not corrected for astigmatism. Am I right in thinking that I have a chance of passing the medical in this case?

scroggs
11th Jul 2001, 00:37
Rohan,
we have a forum specifically for this kind of question. It's called 'Medical & Health'; it is frequented both by those with similar problems to yourself and those with the knowledge to answer your questions. Wannabes are unlikely to be able to give you an authoritative answer to this question, so I am moving this thread to 'Medical & Health'.