PDA

View Full Version : Qatar Airways

Cymmon
2nd Apr 2010, 11:02
Has anyone got experience of Qatar airways from Manchester?
I am flying business class to Manila via Doha and am looking at what to expect from check-in, flight up to leaving the aircraft in Manila.
Thanks.

mybrico
2nd Apr 2010, 12:53
I havent done MAN/MNL but have done MNL/LHR and its grim even in business.
2 problems: the seats dont go flat and its difficult to sleep and 2nd both flights are too short to get any real rest. Better option via the Middle East is Eithad, Emirates more or less same crap seats. Or better still BA / CX via LHR and HKG or KLM one stop via AMS. The best seats are BA and CX and the flights are long enough for a good nights sleep.

Cymmon
3rd Apr 2010, 08:27
Thanks, wish I could find out more info.

jubilee
3rd Apr 2010, 14:31
Have a look at airline quality reviews.
Regards,
Jubilee

Husky One
3rd Apr 2010, 15:10
For service Qatar are streets ahead of most. BA are not even close.
The A340-600 service from LHR has is a flat bed but its not totally horizontal. The 777-200's have horizontal flat beds. Not sure about the 777-300s
Connections in Doha are via the Premium Terminal which is all pretty seamless.
My only gripe is the lounge used at LHR is the Cathay Pacific lounge at T3 which is pretty average. Even the Servisair lounge is better than that.

jeanyqua
4th Apr 2010, 12:38
We only use Qatar for our flights to the far east.
We didn't rate Etihad at all.Won't fly them again.
We like the stop in doha,stretch our legs,nosey round duty free & a ciggy break.
I find the seat angle not too bothersome,i don't like the fact that they are not flat bed,but they are comfy enough,& tons comfier than being scrunched up down the back in cattle.
Food is fine,& never had a problem with service,however i always find the flight seems better from Doha onwards,(tis always a 777 aircraft),rather than Doha back to Man/Man to Doha)

Flyeagle
12th Apr 2010, 19:45
It's worth noting that from 1st May 2010 anyone planning on entering Qatar will need to obtain a visa before arriving in Doha. Visas on arrival at the airport will no longer be available. No change for passengers remaining in transit, a visa is still not required.

From what I can gather this has only just been announced. I'm planning on spending 24 hrs in Doha en route to Muscat and booked the flights before this change was announced. I now have to apply for a visa beforehand, which includes supplying bank statements for the past three months, amongst other things.

This is hardly conducive to promoting tourism.

Qatar Embassy, London (http://qatarembassy.info/)

routem
16th Apr 2010, 11:07
Given the hassle that Qataris have in getting a UK visa I guess we shouldnt really complain, although the 3 months bank statements is a bit over the top. Oh well, back to 2 passports again I guess !!

I use QR several times a year in both Biz and Economy and I fully concur that the service is superb. You wont find a better lounge experience anywhere than the Premier terminal either. Wonder how they are going to better that when the new airport opens?

A tip for anyone flying into Doha is to think about using Al Maha's meet and greet. Not cheap, around £35 however when you arrive and find 4 or 5 340's worth of illiterate labourers in the queue for immigration its a huge bonus. Usually only takes 5 minutes and can save at least an hour at busy times. No offence intended to the labourers, but their lack of knowledge really slows things up, coupled with the occasional ( often ? ) lack of the correct paperwork.

Another tip, use your hotels limo, even if its going to cost you. Almost always a much better experience than a local taxi.

Flyeagle
19th Apr 2010, 19:12
It's being reported on another website that the Qatari government has changed its mind and visas on arrival will remain in place, at least for the time being !

Also an almost unintelligible message has been put up on the Qatari embassy website in the UK.

1st of May visa's regulations will remain unchanged until further

notice.

An official source at the Consular Affairs Department of the

Ministry of Foreign Affairs explained in response to an inquiry
from Qatar News Agency about what was reported in the local
media of the intention of the State of Qatar to implement the
reciprocity principle in the granting of national of a number of
countries a visa to enter the country at the borders outlets. He
said that the ministry received notes from number of these
countries asking for more time to apply the reciprocity principle
and the ministry now is studying the content of such notes. The
official asserted that the system will remain unchanged.
The official added "Qatar will continue implementing the
content of the bilateral agreements concluded with other
countries with regards to the reciprocal exemption of entry

visas"