PDA

View Full Version : Speech Impediments and flying

bubbleboy
6th Apr 2001, 15:41
Are there any other pilots out there who stutter and how do you cope with it?

Voodoo 3
7th Apr 2001, 20:15
I used to stutter terribly when I was at school and as such hardly ever asked questions in class as this would make me stutter and the more pressure you are under to speak the worse it can be. When I started doing my PPL it got a little better but I still wasn't confident on the RT. Got fed up with it and went to a local speech therapist for about three months for help. I still stutter a little in everyday life now but the RT is better and have no problems with it whilst flying the sunny skies.
Do try and get some professional help as I know how frustrating stuttering on the RT or in front of friends can be.

bubbleboy
8th Apr 2001, 06:27
Has your stutter impeded your flying career?

aerostude
9th Apr 2001, 16:59
Ggggggoood aaaaaaaaaafternoon lllladies and ggggentlemen this is your ccccccaptain speaking.

Sorry to take the pppiss.

zardoz
10th Apr 2001, 23:17
A colleague here stutters in normal conversation on the ground, (Captain Gggggranville!) but has no problem on the RT, even under the most intense pressure from Mad Mary at Heathrow. From a layman's view, I suspect that while using the RT there is no eye contact, and hence a "different" kind of stress, which does not cause stutter? Do people stutter when they think?

BlipOnTheRadar
14th Apr 2001, 03:05
yeah, thanks Aerostude that really helps....

Rogaine addict
14th Apr 2001, 07:22
I once flew with an F/O at my last company, outside of the plane the guy studdered so bad I thought he would be useless on the radios when I was flying pilot. Much to my surprise, the guy had absolutely no problems when talking on the radio. I think he's at America West now, don't know how he made it through the interview or was able to convince them that it was different when he flew.