PDA

View Full Version : A brave man, Wing Commander Yeo-Thomas GC MC and bar.

air pig
1st Apr 2010, 17:30
Whilst not an aviator, the awarding of a Blue Plaque by English Herritage on the former home of Wing Commander Forrest Fredrick Yeo-Thomas GC MC and bar, the White Rabbit otherwise known as either Shelly or Tommy for actions in Occupied France in WW II is recognition of a very brave man.

He survived two missions in France for SOE only to be captured on his third. Interrogated and tortured, incarcerated in a Paris prision and then sent to Buchenwald concentration camp, he escaped on a death march only to be found by American forces and repatriated to the UK. He gave evidence at War Crime trials following the end of hostilities.

His health deteriorated over the years and he died in 1966. His biography written by Paul Brickhill is a worthwile read.

Bravery comes in many forms, and is an exmple to all.

Regards to all.

Air pig.

2groupsdragging
1st Apr 2010, 20:17
Recognition for this true hero is a must, read his bio, I've passed this book to many colleagues and they've all admitted to crying, so much so I had to buy a second copy! Read it and it may put your life into perspective, a tad deep I know but it's beyond a 'band of brothers'.

tarantonight
1st Apr 2010, 21:12
Without Doubt, a Top Man, Bloke, Chap, depending on your era.

Many thanks Sir.

TN.

Wander00
4th Apr 2010, 16:00
Read also Between Silk and Cyanide, by Leo Marks. Leo Marks out-briefed Wg Cdr Yeo Thomas, and the relevant parts of the book give an interesting perspective. The book is wrth reading - one of the best ever

skua
5th Apr 2010, 17:16
Leo Marks' book is a cracking read. I bought it recently, after a recommednation elsewhere on pprooon. His affection and high regard for Yeo-Thomas shines through.

Where is the house with the blue plaque?

rjtjrt
6th Apr 2010, 02:47
Could someone post the title of the biography of Wing Commander Forrest Fredrick Yeo-Thomas by Paul Brickhill?
An ISBN would also help.
John

Wander00
6th Apr 2010, 09:36
Best I can find - The White Rabbit by Yeo-Thomas + ghost writer Bruce Marshall, and Bravest of The Brave by Mark Seaman (may be out of print)

pasir
28th Apr 2010, 07:45
Partial address -

Queen Court
Guildford St
Camden
London post code 'possibly' NW1

hope that helps