PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 renewal - eye test

JT8
5th Apr 2001, 18:59
Sorry a bit of a lazy post - I'll be checking the CAA website for further deatails BUT....

can anyone enlighten me on the eyesight test involved in the renewal of a class 1. Is it a full eye test, or just a look in the eyes and reading a basic eye chart - I assumed it is as it is carried out by a doctor rather than an optician.

Also, what is the max dioptre limit at the renewal? Is -5 correct??

thanks in advance..

JT8 :)

JT8
6th Apr 2001, 00:14
Anyone??????

....please?!?!?

aces low
6th Apr 2001, 13:39
Eye test is pretty stringent...involving checks for acuity, double vision, squint etc. It is done by an optician, not a doctor. As far as I am aware, the myopia limit for issue of a class one is minus 5 dioptres. It used to be minus three but has recently been changed. Search the pprune site for more info on recent changes and tests...its more informative than the CAA site

Tiger_ Moth
7th Apr 2001, 00:16
Please tell me you are talking about the British CAA? are you? do they allow -5 dioptres as a limit , rather than -3 dioptres which it used to be?
Would they allow someone with better than -5 dioptres to be issued with a class 1 medical if it WAS NOT a RE-ISSUE but an initial issue?
im very interested in this because my worst eye is -3 dioptres: right on the border line and this is the first ive heard of it being turned into -5.

aces low
7th Apr 2001, 18:46
I refer to my earlier comments about using the ****ing search facility .This topic has be explored to death over the last year. Try searching on Bates, magoo or eyesight for complete list of postings or try the thread a few below this one

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum52/HTML/000492.html

ravenx
8th Apr 2001, 20:38
It's not been "turned into" a -5 limit. The rules have always been -3 for inital issue of the certificate and -5 for renewals. Apparently it doesn't matter if you can't see, just as long as you could when they first gave you the certificate.

Tiger_ Moth
10th Apr 2001, 21:51
aces high says :"the limit issue of a class 1 is -5" is he wrong? Is -5 the new renewal limit or the new issue limit?

Mr Magoo
10th Apr 2001, 23:06
This ruddy eyesight thing is getting a bit tiresome now1.

Here's the gen if you can't be bothered to look at prevoius posts or on the SRG website.

Class one initial issue is now +3/-5D with no more than 2D astigmatism or difference between each eye.

Class one renewal is +3/-8D (real Magoo stuff at -8D!!) with the same differences between eyes as above.

I think the whole eye issue is getting past it's sell by date now as the last year has seen some BIG shifts in the thinking of the CAA and, hopefully, the whole uncorrected refraction limit will be dumped in the next couple of years.

Here's mud in yer eye

Magoo

Eagle 1
12th Apr 2001, 00:01
As you have said about the CAA Lowering the standards for eyesight, I was wondering if they are doing anything about colourvision?
Thanx

Tiger_ Moth
12th Apr 2001, 00:02
Thanks magoo, that means i can get a class 1.
hurray.
And its not that i couldnt be bothered, i spent ages looking at all the relevant posts and they gave contradictory/confusing/irrelevant information.
And: what do u mean they will dump the uncorrected refraction thing? do u mean they will disregard what u can see without correction and only count what u can see with correction?
or do u mean they will only allow people who can see without correction?
Thanks and sorry for asking so many dumb questions