PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for a lock out?

hardNfast
1st Apr 2010, 03:22
Pprune has turned into a place where the media are trolling through our posts and using information discussed and publishing it.

I feel it often restricts the discussions on here, as well as non factual information being published which the general public then read.

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting-points/410666-feedback.html

Post 23: http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting-points/410670-breaking-news-a380-engine-fire-2.html

Can anyone think of a decent way we can weed out the non aviation people and put it to the moderators?

Jabawocky
1st Apr 2010, 04:21
Verify everyones ID with an ARN compared to the database from CASA :}

Cookie7
1st Apr 2010, 04:44
Verify everyones ID with an ARN compared to the database from CASA

There's an easy way around that! :ok:

VH-XXX
1st Apr 2010, 04:47
Jaba what about he pilot who might be a Reuters free-lance journalist on the weekend?

What are we talking about here? An aircraft's tyres blew out possibly because the brakes were hit a little hard either automatically or manually, it gets posted on here and that ends up on a newspaper website?

Big deal.

There's nothing on here that can't be found out elsewhere.

I'd turn it around into something positive and feel privileged that journalists thinks highly enough of PPrune to the point that if they want to know the truth on something that they come here to look for it rather than make something up.

sleemanj
1st Apr 2010, 05:21
Educate don't regulate.

We all know that journos frequently don't get the facts right, so why not a special board "Journo Q&A", each incident can get a thread where the FACTS are put in a way the journos can easily understand.

Encourage the journos to announce themselves and welcome them with giving concise and clear information.

remoak
1st Apr 2010, 05:27
This has been discussed every few years ever since PPRuNe came into being. There is no practical way to achieve it. Using a CASA database won't do it, it's an international forum with it's spiritual home in the UK and it's servers in the USA...

hardNfast
1st Apr 2010, 06:31
Educate don't regulate.

We all know that journos frequently don't get the facts right, so why not a special board "Journo Q&A", each incident can get a thread where the FACTS are put in a way the journos can easily understand.

Encourage the journos to announce themselves and welcome them with giving concise and clear information.

That sounds like a great idea. Help them, help us!

Then lock out the other forums so you have to sign in before viewing. Will stop the lazy people.

Verify everyones ID with an ARN compared to the database from CASA

Do you want CASA knowing who is who on this forum? No thanks.

tail wheel
1st Apr 2010, 06:51
Easy, don't discuss anything of interest to journos?

For example, current reports indicate the A380 this morning suffered a total failure of the FADEC thronomeister digital controller on the injestion side of No 3 engine.

If that ever got into the media, Airbus, Qantas and CASA would suffer considerable embarassment, not to mention the probability of a world wide grounding of all A380 aircraft.

Jabawocky
1st Apr 2010, 06:57
Ok fella's...and ladies.... does the inclussion of one of these little faces :} not give you the slightest clue the comment is just a little bit sarcastic or cynical or other kind of tongue in cheek remark. Sorry for the wind up:rolleyes:.

In all seriousness the idea of a Journo Q&A page sounds great..........but who will moderate it?:)

Pinky the pilot
1st Apr 2010, 08:04
Taily; Was the suspect thronomeister one of those suspect units that were sourced from that dodgy manufacturer in Upper Khazakstan?:confused:

cficare
1st Apr 2010, 08:06
Bloody hell TW!

I thought you were a Moderater not a b.....y dobber!

tail wheel
1st Apr 2010, 08:53
Don't think so Pinky. I heard they came from a reputable supplier that also provides oil cooled choke cables to Air Force One.

There was mention HERE (http://www.verical.com/about/resources/docs/032808_AirForce_FAKE_PARTS_ARE_SEEPING_INTO_MILITARY_AIRCRAF T_MAINTENANCE_DEPOTS.pdf) that Airbus parts suppliers had been compromised.

Cookie7
1st Apr 2010, 09:15
In all seriousness the idea of a Journo Q&A page sounds great..........but who will moderate it?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

Sounds like you may have your hand potentially raising?

chainsaw
1st Apr 2010, 09:38
Cookie 7, if anyone was sufficiently out of their tree to volunteer to moderate a journalists PPRuNe forum then:

Sounds like you may have your hand potentially raising?

should probably be amended to:

Sounds like you may have your hand potentially rising and falling in rapid succesion (in the vicinity of your groin)

...because that's what you'd have to be to take on a task like that I reckon. :O

tail wheel
1st Apr 2010, 10:30
I wouldn't get excited about what journos or the public may read on PPRuNe. I think it would be highly amusing if the media posted most of the "expert" opinions expressed in some PPRuNe threads.

We have a few very professional aviation commentators on PPRuNe who are vastly more competent to comment on aviation matters, than the usual bimbos hauled out by the media. And ... well, we also have our fair share of those in love with the sound of their own key board.

Cookie7
2nd Apr 2010, 01:02
And ... well, we also have our fair share of those in love with the sound of their own key board.

A title for that topic would be: Keyboard commandos indulge in self-love :}

Wally Mk2
2nd Apr 2010, 01:34
Whilst this site remains in the public domain IE it's free for all and there would be no real way of getting the right message across to the Media, hell a LOT on here is RUMOR or inaccurate info anyway so it would be like trying to push a piece of string to get it right every time fact wise for the Journo's:-) The 'Braz' thread is is an Eg how it can get way off the mark as far as Journo's go. Their not bothering with it anymore as it's gone way over their heads besides it's yesterdays news sadly.

"TW" if we didn't discuss anything of interest (yr words) then this site would be as interesting as watching Rudd taking a shower !....eeeek!!:}
Wmk2

Flying Binghi
2nd Apr 2010, 01:57
Dunno if its just me, tho the av related media reports i've seen lately seem to be fairly factual. Maybe they are taking note of the complaints about past inaccuracys...

PA39
2nd Apr 2010, 03:39
Who cares? Believe nothing that you hear or read and only half what you see.