PDA

View Full Version : Does PAL have significant safety issues???

mr Q
1st Apr 2010, 03:09
On Tuesday, the European Commission (EC) placed the Philippine aviation community on a “watch list” and, as a precautionary measure, imposed an operating ban on all Philippine-registered air carriers flying in and out of the EU.

“In view of the significant safety concerns identified by the International Civil Aviation Organization in relation to the authorities, the commission with the unanimous support of the air safety committee is forced to follow the principle of precaution and impose an operating ban on all air carriers licensed in the Philippines,” the EC said.PHIL DAILY INQUIRER
I always fly PAL and thought they have a good safety record compared to some carriers in this area !!!

411A
1st Apr 2010, 03:50
I always fly PAL and thought they have a good safety record compared to some carriers in this area

They actually do, however, the issue is with the oversight ability (lack thereof) of the Philippine aviation regulatory authority.
The EU, instead of casting stones, should work to put their own house in order...AirFrance, for example.:}

subsonicsubic
1st Apr 2010, 04:04
I Agree 411a

PAL have a very good reputation locally.

If you are looking for an airline with "issues" in the Philippines, Zest or Ceb Pac would be my first port of call.'

Best,

SSS

PA-28-180
1st Apr 2010, 04:12
411A-got it in 1! :ok:

...and not to get into a p1ssing contest, but what the heck is wrong with Cebu Pacific, subsonicsubic? I'd fly them before I'd go with any of the other , turboprop, scud runners around here! :eek:

leewan
1st Apr 2010, 13:29
PAL have a very good reputation

Exactly what I thought when I read the news stating that PAL was banned from EU.
They have an excellent record, great crew and well maintained a/c. What could possible be the reason they are banned ?
Politics is the most likely reason, which is beyond me.:ugh:

And just for the record, this applies to 5J as well.

larssnowpharter
1st Apr 2010, 16:03
I think you may find that PAL have not operated a flight to the EU for around 10 years. Code share (QR) yes.

However, when I am in the PI, I have two main reasons for flying PAL:

1. The PAL website accepts credit cards from abroad. Oh, and you can actually get a refund which is damn near impossible with CP.

2. The flight crew have grey hair.

3. The lady cabin staff have a great uniform with pencil skirts and look simply great!

OK. I know that's 3 but I couldn't resist the last.:ok:

PAL is - by and large a good outfit - seems to have a professional image to me and offers the services that I need.

Ceb Pac (the main rival) seems to be trying to position itself as the RyanAir of the PI. Service not as good and I am still waiting for the refund on a canceled flight a year ago.

Some of the other outfits that have sprung up recently, well...........I choose not to use them.

Brakes on
1st Apr 2010, 22:24
It's a non-issue really. At least at the moment, because no Philippine carrier flies to any country in the EU (PAL stopped flying there in 1999). I guess it's more a matter of hurt pride. 411a has hit the nail on the head.

mybrico
2nd Apr 2010, 04:49
I dont think any major Philippine airline has safety issues, certainly not PAL or Cebu. The JV with Lufthansa at MNL does the major checks and they also carry out D Checks etc for many airlines around the world including QF, VS and LH. You may recall in 2008 when QF had issues - the planes had been serviced in Australian not the Philippines, in fact the 747- 4000 with the exploding gas container landed at MNL was repaired there. I would much rather fly on PAL or even Loco with Cebu with their modern fleets than say JET2 in the UK with their old chinese boeings etc no matter how good JET2 are at servicing them.

neroliie
2nd Apr 2010, 06:51
I've flown PAL a couple of times from Hong Kong to Manila. As one leg of a long journey, I thought it was the best. Comfortable seats and people taking good care of you :)

Shack37
2nd Apr 2010, 15:40
They actually do, however, the issue is with the oversight ability (lack thereof) of the Philippine aviation regulatory authority.
The EU, instead of casting stones, should work to put their own house in order...AirFrance, for example.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

Whilst noting that the "smiley" may indicate some tongue in cheek here, as a survivor of many AF totally uneventful flights, I'd appreciate some more detail on this comment.:confused:

Mikkideez
5th Apr 2010, 12:10
@ subsonicsubic

Dude, no potshots at local airlines. The ban is surely an oversight issue. PAL and Cebu have their own safety standards that far exceeds that of the authority. The airlines are doing their job, CAAP isn't.

subsonicsubic
4th Sep 2010, 19:15
And ZEST.....