PDA

View Full Version : Twin Radial over YGLB

greentea84
31st Mar 2010, 23:59
I was hanging around YGLB on Sunday and saw an aircraft doing a fly over at about 1000ft agl. It was painted completely black and had twin Radial engines (oh my god the rumble of it flying over :eek:). It was the size of a WW2 Bomber, large wingspan but engines fairly close tot he fusalage. It was headed North so im guessing it came from Canberra or perhaps between there and the SouthCoast and looked like it was on its way to Sydney.
As it was painted black I couldnt make out any details of the aircraft.

Maybe a tall order but has anyone seen an aircraft matching this description anywhere? Im very interested in finding out what it was :}

rmcdonal
1st Apr 2010, 00:28
Was probably on its way home after the airshow in Canberra
Classic planes on show in Canberra - ABC Sydney - Australian Broadcasting Corporation (http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/03/28/2858375.htm?site=sydney)
Maybe the Catalina from Wollongong?

greentea84
1st Apr 2010, 00:37
Thankyou! Looks like it was the Catalina from the blackcat squadron.

On another note, im kind of annoyed I didnt go to the open day at the airport now. Still have not seen a Connie in the flesh :{

Apparently the week before there was a fly over of a Global Hawk. Im not sure if thats true though.

Trojan1981
1st Apr 2010, 02:34
Apparently the week before there was a fly over of a Global Hawk

Ummm...wow:zzz:

But seriously, you have to try and see the Connie. I had just shut down in Wollongong last Saturday when the Cat and Connie departed. The sound alone is something to behold. The Neptune departed just as I joined the circut.

PyroTek
1st Apr 2010, 06:07
Gotta love the flames that come out of Connie's exhaust's!:ok:

Wunwing
1st Apr 2010, 06:18
And here is me thinking that I kept the flames back on that start.If you wanted flames you should have seen my last startups.
Wunwing

Trojan1981
2nd Apr 2010, 12:22
Even the flames that stream out the exaust on take off:ok: Love it!

Can't beat that radial sound, except maybe with a Merlin!

Capn Bloggs
2nd Apr 2010, 13:01
"There's something magic about aeroplanes" - Canberra Airport official.:cool: