PDA

View Full Version : Help, Flying to Vegas

petop
31st Mar 2010, 16:36
Hi, sorry for barging in but i thought this would be the best place to ask this question...
Im a soldier serving in Afghanistan and on my return will be flying to Vegas to get married to other half.
Wedding side of life and accom all sorted but been looking around the net to which is best way to get there. Of course, by plane but i hear negative aspects about Virgin as its not the best route they do (hen and stag party types, im 38 so getting a bit old for all that) and so its not the best planes etc. Also, is it better to fly direct or via Houston etc.
Also which ever airline chosen, what is the easiest way to get better seats? Im not going to ask how to get upgraded, after all for the money for 1st/Business class, i would be a bit pissed if i paid £1k+ for me and my missus plonk themselves down in the chaise lounge next to him!
Thanks for help

Pilot Positive
31st Mar 2010, 16:41
I think BA go direct from LHR - dont they?

If there not striking that is..... :}

Good luck with the wedding! :ok:

The Real Slim Shady
31st Mar 2010, 17:08
Virgin, Premium Economy, from LGW is a good product.

It's a long flight and the extra space on the Upper Deck, and it's quieter, makes it worth the money.

Failing that if you feel up to it, fly American to NY in economy, they have lots of space, spend some time in NYC,then take an internal flight with the likes of Jet Blue.

wascrew
31st Mar 2010, 21:21
Or go to Pheonix with BA and drive up thru mountains Sedona etc before the hustle of Vegas then return Vegas LHR with BA.

My respect to you and all your colleagues!!!!!!!!!!

bmi goldenboy
31st Mar 2010, 22:27
No doubt at all in my book. Do NZ to LAX then connect to LAS. Great seats, great AVOD, best service of all TATL carriers in all classes, choice of excellent Econ + with Biz meals. Transfer through LAX a doddle, easy walk or hop on a bus to UA, US or CO to connect at their terminal. Fly a couple of times a year, always my first choice, bar none.

You and your colleagues do us all proud petop :ok:

wiggy
31st Mar 2010, 23:29
Depends on wether you want adventure or just want to get to Vegas and hit the town. If you take the LAX option then after a nine hour plus flight do you really want to double back from LAX, putting up with the extra airport hassle? The alternative drive from LAX to LAS is an experience but again do you really want to add hours to your journey?

Virgin do indeed London-LAS non-stop, as do BA. BA's service is done on a three class 777 (Business, World Traveller Plus and Traveller), and FWIW it was one of the services kept running over both the recent strikes.

"I hear negative aspects about Virgin as its not the best route they do (hen and stag party types...)". To be fair to Virgin that's down to the fact that Vegas is a party destination........the BA flights are certainly busy but I don't think they are on a par with the horrors of a Riga stag party flight.

Good luck and greatest respects.

10bob
1st Apr 2010, 09:17
Just returned from Vegas with VS from LGW. You are right to say they are full of stag/hens and the 747 is more than a little tatty. However, the service is good, but dp expect them to run out of beer before the halfway stage.

As others have said - there are many more comfortable ways of getting there but if you just want to get on a plane and get there, then VS is not such a bad option. But pay for at least premium economy if the budget stretches to it.

And kudos to you and all your colleagues for what you are doing over in the 'Stan.

c3pd
2nd Apr 2010, 06:38
Dear Petop

Come on, as you're heading to Las Vegas to get married, surely 'Virgin' is the only choice!:hmm:

Best wishes, if you haven't been to Vegas before you'll have a great time.

Whilst you're there check out The Bellagio Hotel and Ceasars Palace (they're right next to each other on the strip and are two great resort style complexes). The Forum Shopping area at Ceasars is a nice place to wander around before dinner one night and eating dinner at The CheeseCake Factory at Ceasars is a great way to start to finish off a great day in Vegas. We were there in May and loved it.

C3PD

DJFish
2nd Apr 2010, 07:12
Hi Petop,
My other half is on her way to that very flight as I type, I'm taking the same flight next week so if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks I'll be able to give you a review of Virgin Premium Economy from the point of view of a sleep deprived grumpy old git.

As far as decent seats go, we went PE because those few extra inches really do make the difference, also we booked through Trailfinders and wife was able to pre-request her seat (whether she gets it once checked in is another matter).

Also Virgin do upgrade smartly dressed honeymooners from time to time so you never know your luck;)

As much as they try to make it as comfortable as possible, I'd much rather be sipping an ice cold beer poolside than sitting in a transit lounge so direct flights every time for me.

Hope this helps,
Dave

By way of an update:
Wife got to LGW, lovely people at check in, busy but fast tracked through security so pain free.
Upgraded to Upper at gate (obviously very happy with that!), lovely CC, lovely grub, lovely seat, lovely flight so one happy wife!
Pax were warned in flight that arrival at LAS drunk would result in immediate repatriation! Says it all about what goes on down the back.

Fingers crossed my flight is as enjoyable!

Icarus
7th Apr 2010, 13:31
Petop,
Did the same myself a number of years ago (not too many - 6th anniversary on Saturday this week!) but started the trip out of Bahrain rather than Afghanistan! Flew to London on took Delta (DL) out of Gatwick (LGW) in Business class via Atlanta (outbound) and Cincinnati (inbound). Great flights, good transfer, good timings, good price. Left London Fri a.m. arrived USA Fri p.m. Married Sat a.m. Honeymoon Sunday and returned Monday! Good flight back apart from all the golfers/commentators from the bloody Masters! Highly recommend DL.

petop
13th Apr 2010, 03:17
Thanks for all the replys and sorry for not doing so earlier, internet over here gets a bit patchy.
If we choose Virgin, then it will definitly be PE. Im used to flying in the back of a Hercules, with body armour on and helmet, so going by Virgin "in the back" wont bother me too much but then the other half and seeing as its going on holiday/wedding wont! So ill try for the best seats i can. I'd prefer direct to Vegas. As for upgrading, ill smile nicely and put on my best dapper to try and get in the hallowed Upper!
Also thanks for the support of you all back in UK.

DJFish
22nd Apr 2010, 21:11
Petop,
I can report that Virgin Prem. Econ. is perfectly fine, loads of room, quiet, good wine, edible food, I'd say it was we'll worth the extra.

I'll let you know about the return trip when it eventually happens, as I'm still stuck in San Franciso (currently at the airport waiting for a standby seat).

You might like to consider is taking your Mil. Docs. with you (if allowed).
One thing that has impressed my on this trip to the US is how they treat their servicemen and women at home, there's an announcement every 15 or so mins here at SFO that there's a USO lounge for service personnel and families, since you're coalition you may well be able to wangle your way in or to the front of some queues, well worth mentioning it.

Oh, and when you get to Vegas, go for the buffet lunch in the Mirage, you won't have to eat for the rest of the day (or the next if you pocket a few muffins).

Bon Voyage

airbourne
23rd Apr 2010, 20:47
Re: Virgin LGW-LAS Go in Premium Economy if you can. Also, Seats 80H and 80K are the 2 best seat on the top deck. Its quieter and less of the stags/hens to contend with.

Re: The Army. Bring your army ID, or something that shows you are a serving soldier. American love the military and offer many discounts on airlines, hotels, trips, eating out all that stuff. If you could wear your uniform, and say something like you just got off the flight from afghan and straight to vegas, that will help greese the wheels.