PDA

View Full Version : Airport Hotel, Santa Maria, Azores

B314
31st Mar 2010, 01:32
I wonder if anyone in this forum stayed at the original Airport Hotel in Santa Maria and whether you may have any photos you could share? The hotel was approximately 1/2 mile from the airport so it may be lurking at the edge of old aerial images of the airport itself. I recall staying there in the 60’s awaiting connecting flights when we’d be flying to the UK via Lisbon. I’d guess it was built in the 30’s-40’s, more of a motel really as it was entirely on the ground floor. It wasn’t ever full to capacity by the 60’s and had an air of a “past heyday” about it, but still retained a peaceful, charming atmosphere. I learnt it burnt down in the 80’s and a new hotel with the same name is located there now.

Fly380
31st Mar 2010, 07:49
I remember positioning there in around Jan 1973 with Panam from Lisbon whilst working for Donaldson International. We had 2 nights and I think it was the coldest room I have ever slept in mainly as everything was so damp. I can't remember any heating in the rooms the only heat being an open fire in the bar. It poured down the whole time we were there and it was a blessed relief to leave. Not worthy of a photo.:(

B314
31st Mar 2010, 15:38
Admittedly when we left the Azores in January 1968, we stayed there and yes it was on the cool side, I had better memories of it as Summer venue!:)

twochai
2nd Apr 2010, 03:01
I think it was the coldest room I have ever slept in mainly as everything was so damp

Depends upon the starting point: Leaving -20C Goose Bay on a winter's evening, after ten hours of thrashing through the darkness, wind, turbulence, icing, etc., one's exact position usually in some slight doubt with the ADF's deflected by precip static, a bed in the Santa Maria Airport Hotel was a welcome, if somewhat musty environment. After getting to the bottom of a bottle of the local plonk, never had a problem sleeping!

And it did fill up occasionally, particularly after one or two diversions had arrived at SMA. I remember being driven to the only available room - one in the very rustic home of a local farming family - with a very grumpy farmer being thrown out of bed to make way for the temporary guests!

avionimc
2nd Apr 2010, 12:16
Stayed there a few times, then on later trips I discovered a better, family owned, home type, bed & breakfast (and restaurant) somewhere on the hill inside the island, but not into town (maybe a 2 km walk from the airport). Forgot the name of it, possibly Cruz Teixera? No pics unfortunately. One memorable landing had wind gusts of more than 50 mph, almost at 90 degrees to the runway…