PDA

View Full Version : distractions in the cockpit

TO MEMO
30th Mar 2010, 23:57
Despite the sterile cockpit rule that every airline has.
Regarding cockpit distractions, specially on the ground during turnarounds, such has being constantly interrupted by maintance or by load sheet arrival.
What are your own techniques, or how do your airline SOPs cope with that problem.

Cheers,

TOMemo

411A
31st Mar 2010, 02:15
Usually, lock the FD door.
Works every time...:}

18-Wheeler
31st Mar 2010, 02:51
I used to just deal with each on-ground problem as it came, and still work through my checks at a speed that I felt safe at.
If that resulted in the flight being late, then so be it.
Saying that, I did actually throw a Saudi ground bloke out of the cockpit one day. :)

olster
31st Mar 2010, 04:53
Good topic -distraction is one of the major problems on the modern flightdeck.I would not interrupt a private conversation but there appear to be legions of ground personnel that interrupt checklists,briefings etc without thought.I always point this out and restart checklists etc.Lack of training and another by-product of the low cost revolution I suppose.

atb

fireflybob
31st Mar 2010, 07:46
Not always but if I am interrupted during a brief or doing checklists etc on the ground I put my (inboard!) hand up (palm forward) - this usually seems to convey the message that I do not want interrupting at this stage.

Interruptions seems to be a norm of the age that we live in now. Years ago ground staff were more respectful and would wait and/or pick a better time to talk. To some extent the flight deck is a sacred place and should be regarded as such.

Firestorm
31st Mar 2010, 08:02
When someone comes charging into the flight deck gobbing off at 10 to the dozen whilst I am talking to someone else I excuse myself from the first conversation, tell the second person to wait because I'm talking to someone else, and then continue, and complete the first conversation. People walk in in the middle of check lists and all sorts of things. Funnily enough I have the same exchanges with my 4 and 5 year old nieces, and nephews when I am in conversation with other adults: the nieces and nephews are getting the message...

spannersatcx
31st Mar 2010, 09:22
I find the pilots get in the way of me trying to do my job in getting the a/c serviceable and fit to fly!:eek: (no tongue in cheek smilie!)

It's a case of having to work together, I'm fully aware of when the flt deck are doing their brief etc and know when or not to speak, easy really working as a team.:ok:

whatbolt
31st Mar 2010, 09:32
There is the possibility that some of this is a generation thing and some younger personel might not have thought about the consequences of butting in on the flight deck. However I think a lot of it is pointed in two other directions, one the rapid change over of ground staff that goes on because of the low pay and two because if this flight goes late someones going to carry the blame.

GlueBall
31st Mar 2010, 09:36
While on the ground and parked we're not in a life threatning situation, so I don't get bend out of shape by the usual distractions from ground crew. I accept it as a challenge and work around it, recognizing that the distractions are unintentional by eager ground staff who are generally eager to please and to get their part of the job done.

One should also keep in mind that when flying international that there are language and cultural challenges, and flight deck crews will establish better rapport when friendly rather than confrontational. If you have a short fuse and **** all over yourself in trying to shut people up, the job may altogether be too stressful for you. :{

Storminnorm
31st Mar 2010, 09:39
Patience was always a virtue.
If I went into the FD and found the members were busy
I just waited until they'd finished.
Except when they were reading the Financial Times.

fireflybob
31st Mar 2010, 10:22
Except when they were reading the Financial Times.

But what if they're reading The Sun?

Old Fella
31st Mar 2010, 11:50
A lot of the time the most sterile areas on the flight deck are the flight crew. "Incoming"

Mansfield
31st Mar 2010, 12:44
Back in the good old days of six or seven legs a day up and down the east coast with no dispatcher and no flight attendant(s) but still trying to make fifteen minute turns, I tried to set the tone by briefing the first officers that "I have one speed: I don't rush and I don't waste time. If you need a Coke, go and get one. If you need a pee, go and pee. If you see someone you know along the way, say hi and keep going."

Since those days, I have seen fireflybob's raised palm used effectively, as long as it conveys the sense that "you are in the queue" and not one of irritation.

Recently, however, I watched a captain handle one of these situations very well. It seems that operations had generated the general decs a day earlier (no doubt using advanced multi-tasking techniques), and consequently they had failed to capture two changes to the crew roster. Naturally, as we neared departure time and discovered the error, ops wanted the captain to use his authority to overwrite the names and sign off the general decs (all fifteen copies). He politely explained that he would do so but not until the cockpit crew had completed all of their preflight tasks, including checklists, etc. Not only did this preserve the cadence of the cockpit preparation, it also established a planned queue for the necessary tasks. This planned queue was front-loaded to allow time for other, as-yet-undiscovered-but-possibly-more-serious issues to be managed. Everyone's attention stayed focused and on the same page, and everyone knew what was next. It was CRM very well executed.

Of course, it had the accidental byproduct of placing credit for the inevitable delay squarely where it belonged. Oh well...you can't cover everything...:D

olster
31st Mar 2010, 12:59
Actually on the ground you are potentially in a life- threatening situation if you load the ZFW into the GW box of the FMC and use V speeds 10's of knots too low.This is the situation that the MEL Emirates crew found themselves in and although they survived the ensuing tailstrike,the aircraft was badly damaged and the crew lost their jobs.One of the contributory factors was considered distraction.

Noticeably the Emirates engineering staff will not interrupt the pre- flight procedure,briefings etc but wait until you turn to them.This is a direct consequence of the MEL incident referred to.I stand to be corrected but I believe that the Emirates cockpit is 'sterile' from pre-flight onwards.

atb

Pilot Positive
31st Mar 2010, 13:12
Any checklist distraction or interuption should, unfortunately, result in starting at the top of that individual checklist. This avoids assumming you have completed the action point where your finger is held at. Not easy with commercial pressure but better safe than sorry. :cool:

Right Way Up
31st Mar 2010, 13:24
To avoid distractions on the ground I tend to leave reading Nuts magazine until the cruise! ;)

Storminnorm
31st Mar 2010, 15:02
CRM = Coarse Reading Material then?

Pilot Positive
31st Mar 2010, 16:28
CRM = CR&P (i was distracted)! Remind Me?

68+iou1
31st Mar 2010, 19:24
My pet hate. FO’s and the need to text/call someone on every turn around!

RYR738_driver
31st Mar 2010, 21:11
How else do you expect us to keep in touch with the numerous hosties that we are trying to be 'friendly' with :E

Spendid Cruiser
1st Apr 2010, 00:53
While on the ground and parked we're not in a life threatning situation, so I don't get bend out of shape by the usual distractions from ground crew. I accept it as a challenge and work around it, recognizing that the distractions are unintentional by eager ground staff who are generally eager to please and to get their part of the job done.

One should also keep in mind that when flying international that there are language and cultural challenges, and flight deck crews will establish better rapport when friendly rather than confrontational. If you have a short fuse and **** all over yourself in trying to shut people up, the job may altogether be too stressful for you.
Absolutely well said. Everyone wants to get their job done, everyone has a target to meet. Completing scans, checks and briefs during busy turnaround has never been an issue.

matkat
1st Apr 2010, 06:26
On the other side of the coin a few years back when I was a certifying engineer for a once large Icelandic ACMI airline a rather immature first officer attempted to get my attention by snapping his fingers at me, he never did do that again.

Pugilistic Animus
1st Apr 2010, 18:34
Robert Stack as 411A

YouTube - Airplane - Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaXvFT_UyI8&feature=related)

PA :}

lynn789
1st Apr 2010, 22:13
if we can mention distractions in the air, there was an airliner allowed to crash due to the crew becoming distracted by the overhead air vent banging thru not being locked and a small plane crashing due to distraction by a seatbelt end, locked in the door and banging against the outsede in the wind

also that burnt out lightglobe causing the tristar crash

the old rule was if anything unusual happens, keep flying the plane

D O Guerrero
2nd Apr 2010, 09:14
68+iou1 - there are plenty of Captains that do the same. I've even seen some making calls during the taxi...

Lots of people interrupt our procedures on the flight deck during preparation for flight. I try not to let it bother me too much, but when it is obvious that you are both in the middle of the performance calculation or a checklist, I would think it is good manners (wherever you are from) to wait 30seconds for it to be finished. Even if you do have a short turnaround, nothing is that important to risk making a major error just to avoid upsetting an engineer or the dispatcher. We are all in control of whether we choose to respond or not and in my experience the majority of pilots are quite prepared to allow themselves to be interrupted during critical stages of flight preparation.
I have found the phrase "I'm so sorry, I do apologise for talking while you were trying to interrupt me" quite useful for those who persist....

SeldomFixit
2nd Apr 2010, 09:27
Glueball - By any measure, your response defines Professional. I have no doubts at all that you are an excellent operator. Salut Sir. :ok: