PDA

View Full Version : Reading Material

FlightDeckDave
30th Mar 2010, 20:19
Hello,

Has anyone got any recommendations on a good book/s which teach the principles of flying right through to commercial jet flying? Something which basically covers the ATPL or equivalent. I need to refresh my knowledge for a possible upcoming job so any advice would be great.

I'm doing a search now, but its always worth asking on here anyway.

FDD

mcgoo
30th Mar 2010, 20:26
Professional Pilot Studies by Phil Croucher

flyvirgin
30th Mar 2010, 20:31
The PoF oxford book is really good, also their PPL cd-rom for pof is also really good, even for atpl brush up,
Cheers,
Flyvirgin,

whistling turtle
30th Mar 2010, 21:35
''Aerodynamics for Naval Aviator's'' is a gold standard book and has been for many years - I don't know how true this is but I have heard it was used as the main reference for the JAA when they were putting together the Principles of Flight knowledge objectives and exam questions.

Regardless, an excellent book and can be obtained cheaply second-hand on Amazon.

FlightDeckDave
31st Mar 2010, 07:55
Thanks for the replies guys, I've had a quick look at those books and they seem to be what I'm after. I forgot to specify that I need the knowledge for an engineering type job, do you know if they go into the specifics of how jet engines work, oil and temp pressures etc?

FDD

Genghis the Engineer
31st Mar 2010, 11:03
If you are a professional Engineer, then you should presumably have a lot of that? But, any of the common ATPL guides will help, also Rolls Royce's book "The Jet Engine". Phil Croucher's book is useful, but more shallow than the CATS or Oxford equivalents which are one volume per subject.

For preference, I'd go for the CATS notes if you can get them, if not Oxford.

A favourite with universities teaching principles of flight to undergraduate Engineers now is Anderson's "Introduction to Flight", which I'd recommend highly.

G

Tom!
31st Mar 2010, 12:26
I can recommend 'Fly the wing' by Jim Webb and 'The turbine pilot's flight manual' by Gregory Brown and Mark Holt. Both available from Amazon.