PDA

View Full Version : RAF Uxbridge Closure

BATCO
30th Mar 2010, 18:18
Ppruners
Can anyone get my old man off my back and tell me timings for RAF Uxbridge closure events and which bits can be seen by the public?

Many thanks

Batco

orgASMic
31st Mar 2010, 08:26
Telephone the Stn Adjt at Northolt?

holyflyer
31st Mar 2010, 10:56
From Hillingdon and Uxbridge Times:

Weather not looking so good for the flypasts.

THE 95-year link between Uxbridge and the Royal Air Force will formally come to an end tomorrow (Wednesday).

The historic RAF camp will officially close its gates tomorrow afternoon (Wednesday), and a series of events is planned to mark the occasion.

These will include appearances by the Queen’s Colour Squadron and the Central Band of the RAF on the parade ground in front of Air Officer Commanding 2 Group, Air Vice Marshall Hillier, mayor of Hillingdon Shirley Harper-O’Neill, and other VIP guests.

There will also be a flypast by aircraft of 32 (The Royal) Squadron, and a Spitfire is expected to roar low overhead for the ensign-lowering ceremony just before 5pm.

The mayor will unveil a blue plaque at the entrance to the officers’ mess, commemorating Douglas Bader, the Battle of Britain fighter ace, who spent time as a patient at the RAF Hospital at the base in 1932, recovering from a terrible flying accident the previous year which cost him both of his legs.

The historic 110 acre site is to be redeveloped by VSM Estates, which plans to build 1,425 homes, a large theatre, primary school, hotel, shops, sheltered housing for the elderly, and a doctors’ surgery there.

The listed underground operations room, visited by prime minister Winston Churchill at the height of the Battle of Britain, is to be preserved in the scheme.

minigundiplomat
31st Mar 2010, 18:28
The historic 110 acre site is to be redeveloped by VSM Estates, which plans to build 1,425 homes, a large theatre, primary school, hotel, shops, sheltered housing for the elderly, and a doctors’ surgery there.

Presumably so chavs can wander around committing crime with no idea of the historical importance attached to the site.

Still, Im sure VSM have raped the MOD on the contract of sale.

The B Word
31st Mar 2010, 18:53
MGD

The MoD are also keeping the UXB Married Patch, so your Chavs will be stealing our hub caps as well :ugh:

Project MODEL, the selling of Uxbridge, Bentley Priory, Mill Hill, etc..., was the biggest travesty ever. We should have moved out of Whitehall and left the CS/MPs to it in town and then cut down on all of the SSFA costs for the military working in town.

I understand that RAF Northolt's modernisation has cost hundreds of millions and it's still not finished!

Grrrr! makes me mad! :*

The B Word

dilly
31st Mar 2010, 20:53
Anyone know what is happening to Vine Lane as it is part of RAF Uxbridge?

Robert Cooper
1st Apr 2010, 20:32
Just a guess but as the home of RAF Cricket Vine Lane will probably stay open. It's not part of the Uxbridge development plan and I notice the Inter-services Matches are scheduled there in June. :ok:

Bob C

cazatou
2nd Apr 2010, 09:31
The B Word

Re Northolt

Perhaps the "Powers that Be" forgot that Northolt was built on a 17th Century Plague Pit; thus there were always severe constraints on any ground works that needed to be carried out. Interestingly, the Airfield was supposed to have been built on the other side of the Railway lines where Claude Graham-White had a pre WW1 Landing Strip. Allegedly, the "Man from the Ministry" held his map upside down and requisitioned the wrong land.

Monkey Madness
3rd Apr 2010, 09:08
Sounds about right :rolleyes:

Talk Reaction
3rd Apr 2010, 11:30
What a brilliant bit of trivia!!

Years of banter about how all RAF stations were built in the middle of nowhere and now I discover that one of the only places built near to civilization is built on a PLAGUE PIT :}

I wonder what other horrors lie beneath land that was given up to the RAF and Army???

Sloppy Link
4th Apr 2010, 18:27
What about the underground Ops room, is that lost also?

taxydual
4th Apr 2010, 18:54
Sloppy

Look at post #3

Sloppy Link
5th Apr 2010, 10:57
Taxy,
Aha, RTFP.....in full. Ta.