PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia

Blackshirt
5th Jul 2001, 02:53
I've always been a light & short sleeper but recently it's just got worse & worse. 4.5 hours on average. Feel like poo for the first half hour after waking up, but concentration fine after an hour or so.

What can I take that won't affect my CAA Class One?

Also, any one got any good 'get you off' techiques they'd care to share?

northern_chique
5th Jul 2001, 03:51
Talk to the experts at a major hospital closest to you. Most countries can recommend a sleep research facility who can identify the causal factors of your problem.

Possible causes are sleep apnoea and medically related conditions

Otherwise Basic rules are,

No caffine, this includes most soft drinks check the ingreedients and you could be surprised

No heavy meals within a few hours of "normal" bedtime but a good diet is essential

No alcohol for a while as it affects REM sleep

Stress is a major contributor to insomnia so clarify and identify stress sources. Seek advice if necessary. Conditions such as Post Traumatic Syndrome require the experts as symptoms from insomnia to suicidal tendencies can manifest themselves years down the track. The condition can arise from many different events such as a vehicle accident, loss of a loved one, a marriage breakdown or loss of employment.

Reform the bodies sleep habits by going to bed at a normal time and then reading your regulations each night. I can never make it past page five on a bad night. David Attenbouroughs video "The Secret Lives of Plants" is a good nightcap.... zzzzzz zzzzzzz zzzzz

Exercise and physically encourage your body to work then rest. The rest time is critical and dont exercise a few hours prior to sleeping as the body is still in the "wound up" part of the cycle. Your heart rate should be elevated for about 20 minutes continously each exercise period. Check with the doc as to what exercise regime is best for you.

Are you "napping" during the day? this doesnt usually help most times but in cirtain cases is used to suppliment the normal sleeping patterns of an individual under stressful conditions

Your environment could also be a contributing factor, from sudden sporadic noises outside, to a bad matress. Flashing lights reflected in a room also keep the body "on alert"

suzy t
6th Jul 2001, 21:06
I'm a doctor with a good knowledge of sleep disorders. I'm happy to give further advice if you contact me. What do the CAA guidelines prohibit?

[email protected]

SID555
9th Jul 2001, 02:56
Insomnia can lead to loss of CAA Class 1 as it can be a symptom of underlying depression. So be careful who you tell. As usual the pilot is better off hiding their medical condition for fear of loss of licence rather than declaring it and having it properly treated. Makes a mockery of the system but this is the world we live in.

The CAA guidelines prohibit sleeping pills, anti-depressants, tranquilizers etc of any kind. There are some good natural sleeping remedies available that can help you sleep, most of which contain the herb Valerian root extract. Avoid caffeine (this includes chocolate).

Sick Squid
10th Jul 2001, 03:29
Contrary to what SID555 says CAA guedlines do not prohibit certain sleeping pills, but only when prescribed under a company or AME's supervision, and with other beneficial activities in place (exercise, diet etc.) Like all drugs, when used correctly they are beneficial.

£6

SID555
11th Jul 2001, 01:25
Thanks Sick Squid, I stand corrected.