PDA

View Full Version : Hayfever and Class 1

avrodamo
4th Jul 2001, 07:20
I'm going to be going for my Class1 soon, and was wondering how my hayfever would affect matters. I get very mild hayfever which is controlled with antihistamine i.e. Zirtek, Clarytin etc.
Will this stop my Class 1 or is at acceptable

Regards
Avrodamo

Hwel
4th Jul 2001, 13:11
Had hayfever for years , never caused a problem. It is all a matter of scale. Just be honest, ie totally upbeat and sniffle free and you'll be fine, Otherwise delay your medical till november ;)

DoWeHaveLiftOff?
6th Jul 2001, 10:06
Hi,

I had my Medical 1 Test in February this year, and with great luck I passed. I also suffer from hayfever and mentioned this on the application form, and got through. The doctor did mention it towards the end of the test and I told him it was something that I could control.

So me, a happy wannabe with a Class 1.

A word of note: be honest and you will have nothing to worry about.

NewBloke
11th Jul 2001, 17:11
Same here.... Had Hayfever for years, although it is thankully improving as I get older. Wrote this on my form too, and it wasn't really mentioned. The old chap at the end seemed more interested in the wax in my ears and my beer intake. Don't worry. ;)

NewBloke
16th Jul 2001, 17:30
Actually... Could anyone tell me if BA's requirements differ on Hayfever !?!?

dv8
17th Jul 2001, 21:12
In fact flying for me is the best remedy for hay fever.
The cabin air at high alt and once around an a/c pack does wonders for me.
:cool:

Rod Eddington
18th Jul 2001, 18:20
I wrote to the CAA about acceptable antihistamines. A CAA Dr replied saying that Zirtek (Cetirizine) is NOT acceptable for initial issue of class 1. he recommended i change to Clarityn (loratadine) or some other drug (fexofenadine i think it was called). so i'd maybe advise you to try to go without the zirtek and see how you are on just the clarityn.
hope this helps
cheers
rod

NigelS
18th Jul 2001, 18:44
My AME told me not to take Clarityn on flying days but yet so many people seem to be taking it without any problems. I can't see why it shouldn't be allowed personally anyway as it is certainly in the non-drowsy class.
I've heard plenty of pilots refer to fexofenadine being fine though. This is usually referred to by it's trade name Telfast (or if you're in the US, Allegra-D).

I agree with one of the former respondents though, altitude and a/c can work wonders.

Happy flying.

Nigel

Low_and_Slow
18th Jul 2001, 21:11
In the US, Claritin and Claritin-D are on the FAA approved medicine lists. To get info on these, I usually just call the AOPA and ask for the medical division. I'd imagine that the UK AOPA has a similar service.

gingernut
19th Jul 2001, 01:51
Remember the non pharmacy measures:

Drink plenty of cold water (flushes the pollen into the stomach where it is harmless).

Flush out pollen from eyes with water.

Vaseline on the nose to trap the pollen.

Is coffee an antihistamine ? (I doubt it but heard it on the Jimmy Young show!)

Good Luck !

PS the 2nd generation stuff can make you drowsy, try it on a non flying day first !

gingernut
19th Jul 2001, 01:56
PPS there are other treatments available, other than anti-histamines eg steroid nasal treatment and eye drops, check with your doc first though !