PDA

View Full Version : A320 TR, please help!

DannyTheDog
29th Mar 2010, 23:21
Hello all!

I need help! I want to get type rated on the A320, but seem that the more i read about the subject the more confused i get!
I am an ATPL (frozen) issued in a JAA state! All TR courses here include base flight. The issue here is i want to apply for a company in Asia, to be more specific in China. I called the local CAA ( country where my licence was issued, Portugal) and they told me i need to adhere to JAA rules in order to get this done, so acoording to them i need to do a JAA aproved TR even if it is ZFT.
But when i called a friend (he is a FAA ATP), already working there and had to go through the same ordeal, he told me he went to the States, got his TR with no base flight and it was much cheaper than the stuff i have been looking at here in Europe. According to the recruitement policy of the company i am applying for the base flight is not required, and to be honest, i would really like to avoid spending that much money.

What can i do? Can o get more views on this subject? bellow i am going to paste JAR-FCL ZFTT!

Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.261(c)(2)
Approval of Aeroplane Zero Flight Time Type Rating Training Courses
1 APPROVAL OF ZERO FLIGHT TIME TRAINING (ZFTT)
For approval of a type rating course using ZFTT the following criteria will apply:
(a) The flight simulator to be used shall be qualified in accordance with JAR–STD and user approved by the Authority. User approval will only be given if the flight simulator is representative of the aeroplane flown by the operator.
(b) The flight simulator shall be fully serviceable during ZFTT (see JAR–STD).
(c) Additional take-off and landing exercises shall be included in the type rating course and at least six take-offs and landings shall be conducted under the instruction of a TRI(A).
(d) For an initial approval to conduct ZFTT an operator shall have held a JAR–OPS Air Operator's Certificate for not less than one year.
(e) Approval for ZFTT for a further type of aeroplane shall only be given if the operator has not less than 90 days operational experience of that aeroplane type.
(f) Approval for ZFTT will only be given to a training organisation provided by an operator or a training organisation having a specific approved arrangement with a JAR–OPS 1 Air Operator assuring that student pre-requisites are met and the type rating will be restricted to that operator until flying under supervision has been accomplished.
2 REQUIRED PILOT EXPERIENCE
ZFTT will only be approved for type rating training for pilots of multi-pilot aeroplanes who meet the minimum flying experience specified for the level of flight simulator to be used on the course, as follows:
(a) Pilots undertaking ZFTT shall have completed not less than 1500 hours flight time or 250 route sectors on a relevant aeroplane type if a flight simulator qualified to Level CG or C is used during the course. If a Level DG, Interim D or D qualified flight simulator is used the pilot shall have not less than 500 hours flight time or 100 route sectors on a relevant type;
(b) A relevant type of aeroplane is a turbo-jet, transport category aeroplane with a MTOM of not less than 10 tons or an approved passenger seating configuration for not less than 20 passengers.
(c) Instructor Qualification: For the additional specific take-off and landing exercises the instructor shall hold a TRI(A) rating.
3 LINE FLYING AFTER ZFTT
(a) Line Flying under supervision shall commence as soon as possible but not later than 15 days after completing the ZFTT;
(b) The first four take-offs and landings carried out by a pilot following ZFTT shall be flown under the supervision of a TRI(A) occupying a pilot’s seat.

Founder
30th Mar 2010, 00:20
It all comes down to the type of license you are holding. You have a JAA license, that means that the country that is going to insert the TR into your license is a JAA member state. Thats why all your training must be performed according to JAA rules. Which means you have to do 6 take-off's and landings in the actual aircraft, if you haven't flown a similar weight class before.

Sorry, there is no way around these rules... you can NOT get an FAA or ICAO type-rating inserted into a JAA license, nor just perform a partial training without the base-training, it just doesn't work that way...

Best of luck with the job

Nashers
30th Mar 2010, 05:15
no idea about the chinese licence however inorder to fly there im guessing you will need to convert to a chinese licence anyway.

if possable, have you thought about converting your licence now, then getting the type rating endorsed on that? that way you dont have to pay for the base training. once you have hours on type, you can get the rateing put onto your JAA licence at a later date.

i know you did not ask but i have to say, i personnaly think its way to much of a risk to buy a TR inorder to APPLY for a job...

riciardi
30th Mar 2010, 14:23
he told me he went to the States, got his TR with no base flight and it was much cheaper than the stuff i have been looking at here in Europe. used to be that simple. not anymore. And the other airline went burst yesterday, plenty of locals aiming for the same as you

potkettleblack
30th Mar 2010, 14:53
I suggest you contact the CAA (Chinese Aviation Authority) and find out for sure what is involved given your personal situation then work backwards. Assuming you have a job lined up then it will more than likely be cheaper doing an FAA 320 rating and adding that to an FAA licence then converting across. If there is no job then your barking mad contemplating this in anycase.

DannyTheDog
30th Mar 2010, 19:56
licence conversion is a must, i will need to convert it anyway. the fact is i do not need to have it (TR) on my licence,i will not be flying the 320 in europe now and i will still have to convert my licence, i will still do the sim hours and they will be on my logbook, i will always be given a certificate of completion of the TR.it is risky i know, but there is a pretty good chance to get the job if i get the TR done.

DannyTheDog
31st Mar 2010, 17:49
guys, thank you all for the replies, i still do not know what to do but i guess i will have to spend the extra money!
nice flights!