PDA

View Full Version : which of these 3 would you like to work for

palmdeira
29th Mar 2010, 11:38
budding jet pilots and current airline pilots out there, given the choice of
Tiger, J* and Virgin Blue, who would you work for and why. Assume you'll join as an F/O and at what point will you get your command? All have expansion plans but who has the longest staying power? Who offers the best rostering practise?

Track5milefinal
29th Mar 2010, 11:46
Oh I am going to enjoy this thread :D

gobbledock
29th Mar 2010, 12:04
palmdeira, take option 4 - Driving diesel trains in India !!

Pedota
29th Mar 2010, 12:05
Palmdeira

May I please expand the choices in your offering?

You mentioned Tiger, J* and Virgin Blue . . . can I kindly add QF especially as you postulate "you'll join as an F/O and at what point will you get your command"?

To paraphrase from your post . . .

All these airlines have expansion plans but who has the longest staying power? Who offers the best rostering practise?

Open questions indeed - and I agree with Track5milefinal about the potential of enjoying this thread.

Cheers

Pedota

j3pipercub
29th Mar 2010, 12:49
None of them, I'll stay where I am.

Peter Fanelli
29th Mar 2010, 12:59
I'd rather be flying Chieftains.

Pinky the pilot
30th Mar 2010, 00:31
None of the above options.

I'm with Peter Fenelli.:ok:

Mr.Buzzy
30th Mar 2010, 00:57
Ahh classic stuff.... Funny how none of the 2000 odd folks doing the above jobs could be bothered with you lot.
Enjoy your whinging and "hands on" :ok:

It is "greener" than you think.

bbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

j3pipercub
30th Mar 2010, 01:06
I know you are a huge sh1t stirrer buzzy, but I will bite.

I do love the assumption that because we don't want to fly for them, we must have been given the knock back. I guess it wouldn't have crossed your mind that some of us make the choice to stop at a level, to secure a way of life, instead of chasing th big shiny jet. Let's face it, the airlines just aren't that appealing anymore. But you're right, it's probably cos we got the knockback from all three...

What number wife/girlfriend are you up to buzzy?

j3

Mr.Buzzy
30th Mar 2010, 01:15
I too love the assumption you make that airline folk have unhappy home lives.

Personally, I have no problem with any job that any individual chooses in life. We have all done plenty of different jobs before settling into one that suits.

Just remember who started and who is continuing this thread and ask "who has the problem with jobs that others do?"

bbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Peter Fanelli
30th Mar 2010, 01:16
Ahh classic stuff.... Funny how none of the 2000 odd folks doing the above jobs could be bothered with you lot.
Enjoy your whinging and "hands on" http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

And yet NONE of the pilots here who do fly airline jets ever come in here and post a story about a memorable day flogging up and down the east coast in a 737 or A320, but a few of those airline pilots like nothing more than to write about their days in New Guinea or slogging away in the outback in GA or about rebuilding and restoring their aircraft.

I met some wonderful people and had some great times during my time in GA, just wish I'd done something about recording it.

Mr.Buzzy
30th Mar 2010, 01:26
Likewise Peter, I was given a camera when I left to chase flying and am lucky enough to now have a couple of big boxes of prints that I will gladly bore visitors with.
I had a great time in GA also. Would work there again. Unlike some here, I don't feel a need to be critical of others working in other facets of the industry to my own.

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

j3pipercub
30th Mar 2010, 01:58
Buzzy,

If you don't feel the need to be critical, would you mind explaining this comment then?

Funny how none of the 2000 odd folks doing the above jobs could be bothered with you lot.
Enjoy your whinging and "hands on"

If that isn't critical, then I don't know what is...?!?!?

and this one

I too love the assumption you make that airline folk have unhappy home lives.

I was simply making a stupid generalisation, just like yourself...

And as far as continuing the thread, you're helping to do a pretty good job of it...

j3

Pinky the pilot
30th Mar 2010, 03:58
As for me, never applied to one of the 'majors' and never will.

Don't have the requirements, and too old anyway.

palmdeira
30th Mar 2010, 05:58
okay, okay. so if the 3 referred to are not on your wish list, who is??? all i want is a combo of decent lifestyle and (half)decent pay!!:bored:

maxgrad
30th Mar 2010, 06:35
medivac? ADF?
win lotto buy ..........................and a hanger

Ultralights
30th Mar 2010, 06:53
you are never going to believe this, but i am actually enjoying instructing! and the pay is equiv to Rex. get to go home every night, students become good friends, flying is always hands on and different every time, what more could you want.

gettin' there
30th Mar 2010, 07:58
okay, okay. so if the 3 referred to are not on your wish list, who is??? all i want is a combo of decent lifestyle and (half)decent pay!!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wbored.gif

Me too, but throw in being able to live in, or close to one of the captial cities (or Canberra :E) so that the other half can make a descent $$ too.

If you don't want to fly for the majors (or you for whatever reason don't get in) what other "good" long term jobs re there? Obvioulsy RFDS.......???

psycho joe
30th Mar 2010, 09:31
I still say whoever serves the best coffee goddamit. :confused:

Compylot
30th Mar 2010, 14:38
Pedota

To paraphrase from your post . . .

You mentioned Tiger, J* and Virgin Blue . . . can I kindly add QF especially as you postulate "you'll join as an F/O and at what point will you get your command"?

In the kindest possible way possible, would it be remiss of me to question your request to add "QF"?

As it is not possible to join "QF" as an "FO", as the original question that was posed stipulated and if you don't mind me paraphrasing

Assume you'll join as an F/O..

.. should that then not preclude the mention of "QF" as a potential offering? (as it is not possible to join QF as an F/O..)

and may I respectfully say I agree with Mr.Buzzy and if you don't mind me metaphrasing

"hands on" http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

I also agree with the potential of enjoying this thread :confused:

Cheers

Compylot

eocvictim
30th Mar 2010, 15:39
Enjoy your whinging and "hands on" http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif
I cant see who was whinging?

I'm sure ILS-ILS is as green as the local Lawn bowls and is just as entertaining. :E

Metro man
31st Mar 2010, 00:40
With Tiger or Jetstar you will get A320 experience, making you attractive to the other A320 operator if your current employer lays people off. Easy switch over.

With Virgin you will get, hopefully B737 time but QF are difficult to get into and may only be looking for B744 S/Os.

Tiger are expanding and could offer quick promotion, Jetstar have A330s.

What does you crystal ball say regarding the long term prospects of the three airlines ?

Ducksarse
31st Mar 2010, 05:31
Since no one is actualy answering the original question, I'll have a crack. I'm not in one of the airlines but would like to be, I've been asking the same questions off line. The responses I have got lead me to believe the following:

QF - Join as SO (or cadet) but not currently recruiting. Best T+C of the Australia airlines. Slow progression.

J* - Join as FO, currently (or soon to be) recruiting. Capt on about $150K, FO on 60% of that. Staff get worked pretty hard but good progression as airline expanding.

VB - Join as FO, currently recruiting. Capt on about $150K, FO on 55-65% of that depending on experience (slightly less on the E Jets). People I've talked to seem happy with the 'vibe' within the company.

Tiger - No idea.

As I said, I don't actually know but this is what I've herd from mates in the respective airlines.

Hope this helps. :ok:

G.A. Boy
31st Mar 2010, 13:52
Wtih VB, try Captain on $180K base, FO ( level 3, $117K).

Tankengine
31st Mar 2010, 14:12
Really glad I work for QF.:ok:

Sunstar320
31st Mar 2010, 21:01
J* - Join as FO, currently (or soon to be) recruiting. Capt on about $150K, FO on 60% of that. Staff get worked pretty hard but good progression as airline expanding.

Jetstar crew are on more than 150k, add 30k more. Tiger crew are on 105-110k vs 175-180k, could rise shortly.

DARK.LORD
31st Mar 2010, 21:23
What's a J*?

When I grow up I want to be a indian and live in a teepee, and get a dukes of hazard car.

Think about that one...

(noice elipsus)

Towering Q
3rd Apr 2010, 01:26
That should be an Indian.

Aussie
3rd Apr 2010, 04:22
Mate are you sure about those figures? I heard and read jetstar capt on 150K. VB on 180K and no idea about TIger, since on topic maybe someone could enlighten us on Tiger FO and CAPT pay?

Thanks

hardNfast
3rd Apr 2010, 05:43
From the Tiger thread. Not my figures, just passing on the info:

F/O
•75K base
•$36 per flight hour
•$20K bonus every 3 years
CAPT
•112K base
•$75 per flight hour
•$30K bonus every 3 years
•10 sickies per year
•25 days annual leave per year
•Time to command for suitable pilots: 12 months in Tiger or 1000hrs A320
Pay your own uniform, parking & meals. Expect 800-1000 hrs per year.

Aussie
4th Apr 2010, 11:20
Thanks for the info. Do you pay for TR or deducted from pay? Cheeers